It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Star Trek Than Snuggie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

More Star Trek Than Snuggie

www.space-travel.com

Alien creatures are the least of NASA's worries when it comes to moon travel. There are several potential threats to future missions - with space radiation at the top of the list.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[mod edit: fixed all bold snippet]

[edit on 20-5-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Is there something behind this story that is evading what ufologists have been talking since the Roswell incident. Obviously they are aware of what the community is and has been discussing, so are they assuring all of us that we should not worry about anything other than natural threats.

Is this what we will be hearing through the main stream media in a supposed disclosure as has been mentioned by politicians and ufo organizations.

www.space-travel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
To me it just looks like they're poking fun at the ufo community as usual, I don't see that statement as much different than what the medias have been saying for years.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
To me it just looks like they're poking fun at the ufo community as usual, I don't see that statement as much different than what the medias have been saying for years.

I disagree! They are trying to calm and rationalize the 'community' no matter how futile that obviously is. People will believe what they want to believe. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story I say!

IRM

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Radiation cannot be on top of list, we went to the moon, like, 14 times. Issue resolved.

The thread/story tile is perplexing. I thought it was saying Star Trek is seen on television more than that Sham-Wow! guy or than that one Snuggie-thingy fleece-poopy thing.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

LOL, did you hear about the sham wow guy going to jail....

But yea I thought this had something to do with trek also.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

As the article states, we went to the moon for short periods, where they now plan to spend months there. During the Apollo Missions, they monitored the Sun for activity, as a flare could have been disastrous for the astronauts.

During the Apollo operational period 1969 to 1972, there were only three solar events that had a biological significance. That is, events that would have registered on the astronauts' dosimeters. The event in August 1972 was a whopper. It occurred between Apollo 16 and Apollo 17. Had a mission been flown during that time, and had the flare been aimed at Earth, it is likely the astronauts would have become severely sick.

Now NASA did indeed play the numbers. There's no shielding on the Apollo spacecraft for any such event. NASA just noted that the chances of a major solar event were less than the chances of the Saturn V blowing up during the ascent and figured that wasn't much of a risk in the long run. Apollo missions were only about 10 days long, and that's short enough to play the numbers and not be too guilty. It's like running down the street to the drugstore under a cloudy sky and betting that it won't rain during your five-minute sprint.

[edit on 5/20/2009 by defcon5]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Would'nt they have gathered all the onformation from the endless data gathered from the ISS. The ISS is the longest manned space station in history.

Even from the title of the article there seems to be something wrong with how this has been presented. So i do think that this has been put out there for another reason.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by tristar

Radiation cannot be on top of list, we went to the moon, like, 14 times. Issue resolved.

The thread/story tile is perplexing. I thought it was saying Star Trek is seen on television more than that Sham-Wow! guy or than that one Snuggie-thingy fleece-poopy thing.

Indeed, i thought how odd is that a site with so much weight would hold such a story with a title like that. So when i begun reading the story i was shocked to realize that they were throwing information wich did not add up.

ALiens on the moon
Long Term Radiation.

Well, the ISS has had more man hours to date, so what the hell are they talking about ?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Gathered what information exactly? That the sun has flares? That the flares can happen with less notice then the amount of time the astronauts will be on the moon? We already know this stuff, and you cannot predict a solar flare months in advance. Since we cannot predict this that far in advance, we have to provide protection for the crew if one should occur during their mission.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Okay, ill try and put this into rational thinking mode.

We have the ISS and is being used by a group of nations for studying space and zero gravity effects along with equipment and medical experimenting.

So now back to the moon issue. Obviously there is an issue concerning solar flares, now if i was head of the space program with intentions on landing on the moon and i was given scenarios and reason of how would we protect our lunar base with its occupants, i somehow would be slapping afew people across the face.

Why on earth would i develop a lunar base in the direct path of the sun, why not build the base on the dark side of the moon ????
Really i don't see the logic behind the story.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Perhaps because there is no "dark side of the moon". just because we always see the same surface does not mean that the moon does not rotate. Do a little research, there are numerous places that explain how the system works a lot better than I could in my own words with just a few paragraphs.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

Oops agree'd, my error :-(

jra

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The ISS is in low Earth orbit (LEO) and the radiation they receive is much less than what would be received on the Moon, since the ISS is still within the Earth's magnetic field.

It really is on top of there list. It doesn't matter how many times they went before. Each Apollo mission was only on the Moon for a short time period. The longer you stay, the more radiation your body will absorb, so finding a way to limit radiation exposure is a must for a Lunar base.

Oh, and we only went to the Moon 9 times and of those 9 missions, only 6 of them landed.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Well, they went to the moon without depending on microprocessors, but rather on hardy vacuum tubes

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Would'nt they have gathered all the onformation from the endless data gathered from the ISS. The ISS is the longest manned space station in history.

Hi,

It will be in a few years time but does not hold the 'title' just yet:

Mir (Russian: Мир, Russian for either Peace or World) was a Soviet (and later Russian) orbital station. Mir was the world's first consistently inhabited long-term research station in space, and the first 'third generation' type space station, constructed over a number of years with a modular design.

Mir holds the record for longest continuous human presence in space at eight days short of 10 years, and, through a number of collaborations, was made internationally accessible to cosmonauts and astronauts of many countries (program Intercosmos). The most notable of these, the Shuttle-Mir Program, saw American Space Shuttles visiting the station eleven times, bringing supplies and providing crew rotation. Mir was assembled in orbit by successively connecting several modules, each launched separately from 1986 to 1996.

en.wikipedia.org...

More specifically Mir had it's first long term occupancy crew back in 1987 and other than a few short breaks the station were occupied from then up to 2001 when it was de-orbited. Mir was occupied a total of nearly 4600 days with the ISS currently on about 3200.

Now you can't say you don't know.

Even from the title of the article there seems to be something wrong with how this has been presented. So i do think that this has been put out there for another reason.

As to the original topic i have always found that particular fear quite strange given how the US government can rotate a million odd American soldiers trough Iraq but not apparently willing to risk some long term radiation side effects ( because we all know the DU that was spread all over Iraq really is harmless) for a few dozen of the same brave folk.

Strange indeed.

Stellar

new topics

top topics

join