It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is beyond the abyss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted yet as I am new to this site but have scientists or anyone figured out what is beyond the black holes in space?I have read that some think that it may be another universe or a way to time travel,speculation I'm sure but I wonder if in our lifetime will they ever figure it out.It is just amazing what one can imagine is on the other side,if anything,or it could be more than we care to imagine.Does anyone have an opinion to offer or links that would satisfy my curiosity.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I think they are portals to absolute 0. Nothing. Not even light can escape. Molecules are suposedly destroyed: if a spaceship tried to go through, it would be crushed to nothing. Becasue of that, we will never know what is on the other side. Perhaps like you said, they are portals to other universes or dimensions. Perhaps they are one way doors; you can't go in, but stuff can come out. That would mean that there are two sides of a balck hole. Side 1: The side light, matter, etc enters, and Side 2: the side that dark matter is created at. We have seen the first side, but perhaps there are examples of the other side out in space too. Think of it this way, what would be the entry side in our universe/dimension would be the exit side in another universe/dimension, and vice versa. Too confusing? Think of them as valves that only go one way.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by xenophanes85]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
There is a singularity which all the lawsof physics break down. There is no time and infinite gravity.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
When a Sun Explodes it comes out Black Hole or a White dwarf(is it a Dimond) then could it survive a travel trough a black hole?

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think this link to the science forums might begin to answer your questions about blackholes, hope its helpful.
Link

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenophanes85
I think they are portals to absolute 0. Nothing. Not even light can escape. Molecules are suposedly destroyed: if a spaceship tried to go through, it would be crushed to nothing.

Interesting thought. But here's another. It's based on a belief in God. Matter cannot create matter, only God can create. Therefore, everything that exists in the universe is finite and was created by God. The idea that a black hole completely destroys, obliterates or otherwise un-creates matter is creation in reverse. Can this be?

When we think of what humankind can do to itself, yes, we can destroy our existence. But that's merely transforming matter from its present form to, well presumably, carbon molecules.

My presumption is, if you believe that black holes destroy, obliterate and un-create matter, then by default one must agree with the theory of creation. Even at that however, if what was created is finite and meant to stay that way, how can un-creation take place?

Are black holes God's Hoover? To believe in a black hole is to believe in something beyond both time and space. The only thing that I'm "aware" of that exists beyond time and space is God and that's the only explanation that makes sense both for creation and black holes.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
My presumption is, if you believe that black holes destroy, obliterate and un-create matter, then by default one must agree with the theory of creation. Even at that however, if what was created is finite and meant to stay that way, how can un-creation take place?

This is where your argument breaks down. Black Holes do not un-create matter/energy. It's still there in some form, but it's inaccessible and impossible to figure out what it used to be. No conservation of energy is broken.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oleander
I don't know if this has been posted yet as I am new to this site ...

Hi Oleander!

Please be aware (if you aren't already?) that you can "search" for items here

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by amantine

This is where your argument breaks down. Black Holes do not un-create matter/energy. It's still there in some form, but it's inaccessible and impossible to figure out what it used to be. No conservation of energy is broken.

How do you know black holes do not un-create matter? Your next sentence "It's still there in some form, but it's in accessible and impossible to figure out... " tells me that if it does exist, it's outside of time and space. The only thing I'm aware of that exists beyond time and space is God.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   

How do you know black holes do not un-create matter? Your next sentence "It's still there in some form, but it's in accessible and impossible to figure out... " tells me that if it does exist, it's outside of time and space. The only thing I'm aware of that exists beyond time and space is God.

Black holes have a mass equal to everything that has fallen into them. This is how we know. As a black hole takes in more matter it grows in mass. That mass falls into the singularity, where all its properties still exist but not as we know them.

There is a lot of new theory on singularities and I think the current most likely theory is a super string soup that exist around the singularity as well as the singularity itself which is beyond our understanding.

The singularity itself has no width, no height, no depth, no time, yet it has mass.

Physics is humanity's way of describing the universe, its is not complete by far. So if you want to know exactly what is going on here, take up physics and help find out.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenophanes85
I think they are portals to absolute 0. Nothing. Not even light can escape. Molecules are suposedly destroyed: if a spaceship tried to go through, it would be crushed to nothing.

Interesting thought. But here's another. It's based on a belief in God. Matter cannot create matter, only God can create. Therefore, everything that exists in the universe is finite and was created by God. The idea that a black hole completely destroys, obliterates or otherwise un-creates matter is creation in reverse. Can this be?

When we think of what humankind can do to itself, yes, we can destroy our existence. But that's merely transforming matter from its present form to, well presumably, carbon molecules.

Are black holes God's Hoover? To believe in a black hole is to believe in something beyond both time and space. The only thing that I'm "aware" of that exists beyond time and space is God and that's the only explanation that makes sense both for creation and black holes.

Define belief in creation, in your words. I am curious as to what your interpretations of it are.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

Define belief in creation, in your words. I am curious as to what your interpretations of it are.

In short, for this discusssion, it's based on a belief in God. Matter cannot create matter, only God can create. Therefore, everything that exists in the universe is finite and was created by God. Since God created this universe, He could not have been in it when it was created. Therefore God exists beyond time and space as we know it.

Now if time and space cease to exist in a black hole this would be consistent with where God exists. The only problem in that pesky detail of matter existing in the black hole. Hmmm time tto read more on singularities.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Perhaps black holes are where dark matter comes from. How? Light and matter goes in one one side and comes out the other side as dark matter. A conversion process. The black holes WE see are side one; the side light and matter come from (or rtaher, go in to). The sides we can't see (or rather, haven't seen yet) are where dark (absence of light) matter comes from. This would mean it would have to come from somewhere - somewhere like a parallel Universe perhaps? Or another black hole in our own Universe (like a teleport)? Possible? If its the latter possibility, it would mean the Universe is infinite, forever expanding (due to the creation of dark matter - the space in Space).

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by xenophanes85]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It is not necessarily (or, in my humble opinion, desireable) to invoke God when dealing with something which is essentially understood by physics.

There are two essential misconceptions at work here:

Firstly, black holes do not have "sides". They are points in space, defined areas of *near*-infinite mass. They are not - despite Hollywood - gateways to other dimensions, ravenous creatures devouring the universe, or the face of God. They are merely attractive regions of space which deform spacetime in an exxagerated, and untimately inescapable way.

Secondly, black holes do not consume matter and energy with no escape. On the contrary, eminent physicist Stephen Hawking has revealed that they shine! See here!

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
But physics doesn't hold the explanation. Nothing has successfully explained the uncaused cause.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
There are two choices - look and the facts and try to understand, logically, what they tell you, or start with a belief and try and fit the facts around it.

I see nothing relating to black holes which requires the invocation of God, any more than I consider God necessary to explain gravity, light or toasters. I am not questioning or attacking your faith, but the motto of ATS is Deny Ignorance, after all. If it's necessary to conjure up mysteries and miracles in order to leave some place for God in the scientific universe, then perhaps it's time to reconsider your stance?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Most of this is beyond my understanding or education level, but I really like the way Dr. Michio Kaku explains this for laymen like myself.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Great link, outsider! An extremely interesting site, and filled with uncommonly poetic metaphors about our place in the universe... who said science is soulless?

Now I'm never going to get any work done today...

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I've read Dr. Michio Kaku books on higher dimensional physics, they're great.
His books started my interest in theoretical physics. Havn't been into it for a while, but I think I'll go down to the library tomorrow.

top topics

join