It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why People Believe Invisible Agents Control the World

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Why People Believe Invisible Agents Control the World

www.scientificamerican.com

Souls, spirits, ghosts, gods, demons, angels, aliens, intelligent designers, government conspirators, and all manner of invisible agents with power and intention are believed to haunt our world and control our lives. Why?
There is now substantial evidence from cognitive neuroscience that humans readily find patterns and impart agency to them, well documented in the new book SuperSense (HarperOne, 2009) by University of Bristol psychologist Bruce Hood.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
brucemhood.wordpress.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Truth vs. Belief

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

“Many highly educated and intelligent individuals experience a powerful sense that there are patterns, forces, energies and entities operating in the world,” Hood explains. “More important, such experiences are not substantiated by a body of reliable evidence, which is why they are supernatural and unscientific. The inclination or sense that they may be real is our supersense.”

We are natural-born supernaturalists.

Looking at ourselves in the mirror... what do we see?

www.scientificamerican.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Awesome!

I will be buying this book.

I've sensed this for a long time, specifically with the phenomenon of "automatic writing" I don't deny that automatic writing exists, but so many people attribute the source of the information to everything from Aliens to Elvis.

This is why I try not to believe in anything... I find life to be much happier just experiencing life and it's phenomena without having to believe in something too.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Whatever these invisible beings are they would have to be very mathematical because all the various occurances that happen here on earth seem to occur only in specific order. Something bad is bound to happen every so many years right? kinda like the boom and bust cycle.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The guy couldnt be more off. Supernatural? Are you kidding me? Maybe metaphysical but supernatural? Kinda dumb, he must not be educated or he thinks people who goto church are educated I dunno which one.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Sounds plausible enough from an evolutionary standpoint.

But, we could be making a Type II error if we believe ETs are not real. And we could be making a Type I error if we believe the NWO is not real.

And he's right about putting on a mass murderer's sweater. Whenever I get a mass murderer's sweater I throw it away.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I don't think they control everything. That's a stretch. But they sure do control a whole lot of things.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I agree with the Authors premise. Humans by nature seek out the signal in the noise, we look to connect abstract dots with abstract theory, we try to find method in the madness, calm in the chaos.

IMHO it's just a form of pareidolia... like finding the Virgin Mary on a slice of toast or the baby Jesus forming in the fog on a window. Of course they aren't really there but believing such gives people meaning, purpose and illusory control over the uncontrollable.

I will buy this book. Humanity has never been as afflicted with 'Invisible Agent Syndrome' as they are today.

IRM

[edit on 20/5/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
The guy couldnt be more off. Supernatural? Are you kidding me? Maybe metaphysical but supernatural? Kinda dumb, he must not be educated or he thinks people who goto church are educated I dunno which one.

Uhm...what the hell are you talking about? The article says nothing like what you are against, in fact it reinforces what you're saying if anything....rtfa

I'll be buying this book, it looks really interesting, as I love psychology and the way the human mind operates.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I don't think they control everything. That's a stretch. But they sure do control a whole lot of things.

A mathmatical model of the universe suggests that it is absolutly impossible for them to control everything. However, they probably do control everything that they are capable of perceiving within thier sphere of influence.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The agents aren't invisible. Many belong to the Bilderberg Group. It's no secret a tiny elite in society own most of the world's wealth. Sociologists call it economic stratification. Senator Richard Durbin speaking in Washington DC recently said, "The banks, they own this place."

The civic govt they teach in 4th grade died in this country long before we were born.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Too bad there really are invisible agents controlling the world.
And they're not invisible.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
As many of us are already fully aware... the Land of ATS covers the invisible terrain like no other. From complete speculation/imagination to investigative critical analysis of solid evidence, we lock horns on every conceivable perspective. Most of these battles have one common intention at heart, to pursuit the truth... "deny ignorance".

I'd like to see us collectively move away from magical thinking, which when applied to the real world, has been the root cause to most of the conflict and waste we find throughout history.

If people weren't so naive/gullible and intellectually lazy, the elites behind the scenes wouldn't have any leverage in steering us off course. With that said, i recognize that Hood interprets the belief in a shadow government as folly, he obviously hasn't digged hard enough in this arena of valid inquiry... ie the NWO is broadcasting their existence on the MSM.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
the author wont be saying 'and these people are right to believe this'. he will be looking for neurons and such to explain [away] the thoughts and feelings of people who think such things. check what dan ackroyd has to say on this in his ufo doc.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ewokdisco
the author wont be saying 'and these people are right to believe this'. he will be looking for neurons and such to explain [away] the thoughts and feelings of people who think such things. check what dan ackroyd has to say on this in his ufo doc.

And what if he's right. If he is, there is no sense hiding or clinging to our insecurities.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
A sneak peak inside the book...
Bruce Hood Lecture on Supernatural Belief - 2007

Adult Object Fetishisms:

Magical Beliefs / Patterns:

Intuitive Theory:

Sympathetic Magic:

Essentialism:

Sentimental Objects:

Based on premature cut-off on last clip there is likely a 8th part, as of yet i haven't found it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
The agents aren't invisible. Many belong to the Bilderberg Group. It's no secret a tiny elite in society own most of the world's wealth. Sociologists call it economic stratification. Senator Richard Durbin speaking in Washington DC recently said, "The banks, they own this place."

The civic govt they teach in 4th grade died in this country long before we were born.

It's funny because the article addresses that as well, did anyone actually rtfa?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Are you referring to the article's mention of agenticity?

Agenticity carries us far beyond the spirit world. The Intelligent Designer is said to be an invisible agent who created life from the top down. Aliens are often portrayed as powerful beings coming down from on high to warn us of our impending self-destruction. Conspiracy theories predictably include hidden agents at work behind the scenes, puppet masters pulling political and economic strings as we dance to the tune of the Bilderbergers, the Roth schilds, the Rockefellers or the Illuminati. Even the belief that government can impose top-down measures to rescue the economy is a form of agenticity, with President Barack Obama being touted as “the one” with almost messianic powers who will save us.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Star and a flag for your post.

I often observe that some people attribute things that happen, good or bad, to their God.

I believe that God is more of a big picture type of person. So, he/she helps you pick your incarnation so that you can learn from this life.

But if you sneeze, I don't think that you need to be blessed, I think that you need a tissue.

I'm going to be reading this on Friday when I have more time.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I wonder what my adult object fetish for WW2 memorabilia says about me? Possibly nostalgia from a past life? I can see how this could easily be flipped on it's head.

When i try to explain my fondness for such symbols/relics of our not so distant dark past, i find myself describing the lure to have a piece of a dragon/devil... in part to remind myself that it really happened but also to have a connection to those who lost their lives for something they truly believed in, from all fronts. There is a collective shadow that we all share.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join