It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother, son missing in forced chemo case

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1I've been through chemo-therapy. It isn't 90 a percent success and it is not a cure.

Don't lie about cancer. Please post links. If you really know of a method or clinic who has 90 percent success; I need to know.

Seriously LOOK IT UP. Not all cancers are the same, Hodgkins Lymphoma has a VERY high cure rate, and it is about 90%.

The judge did have a doctor that ws supposed to evaluate the kid to see if the chemo would work, or if he was too far gone. If he is too far gone I can understand his parents wanting to save him the torture of more treatments. But if this started early on, then it is just irresponsible.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Cherryontop

So true, imagine having the added stress of displacement besides the crushing imposition and persecution of an incompetent government, they are all suffering gravely over this. I wish them happiness and a breath of liberty, and a few friends to help along the way.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
You are so right. I know personally, we relied heavily on friends, family neighbors and members of the community. One does not understand the ramifications of a catastrophic illness.
Besides mounting medical debt, I had to quit work for almost a year, to care for my son. Let me tell you, the bills add up fast when you're one income down.
The point is, until you have lived it, you can't judge others. Heck, even if you have lived it you still can't judge others. You have no idea what this boy and his family have been thru up to this point, or what their limit is. Everyone is different and everyone should be able to have thier own point where they can draw the line and say "ENOUGH".

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I was looking this morning for some updates but there really arent any. I have been reading this post since I woke up and well it seems everyone is either on the side of the govt/doctors or with the kid and mother. I have been thinking about this since I really started to read about it. i went back and forth on what I thought was right. I then realized what I thought is right doesnt matter, it's not my life. If this kid doesnt want treatment then I say let him be. I do not think the govt should be involved in any way. The mother is just protecting her child and well that's what a parent does isnt?... She obviously doesnt want her son to go through anymore treatment and he doesnt seem to want to either. Like one poster said who has been through it you will never know what this decision is like. I agree... Unless we are in those shoes we really cant judge someone else's decision and even then it's still hard to make a decision like that. I do hope that he gets some kind of treatment even if its not chemo to help him. I wish him and his family the best during this difficult time.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

The family belongs to a religious group that believes in "natural" healing methods. Daniel has testified he believed chemotherapy would kill him and told the judge that if anyone tried to force him to take it, "I'd fight it. I'd punch them and I'd kick them."

The above statement STRONGLY implies that the parents NEVER would have agreed to Chemo even with the 90% success rate. Even if had a 99.9% success rate. They would have said NO and gone with natural methods that may have a 5% (i.e. natural likelihood of remission) survival rate.

That is just wrong. That is like saying they would NOT give their diabetic child insulin because it is "not natural" even though it is almost certain death without it.

Those parents sound like loons. The kids tumors have grown so it is probably too late at this point, if it is too late they should leave them be and prosecute AFTER the kid is dead.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
Chemo is something that has to be carefully thought out, and if your immune system is a lemon, its not a smart move. My kids won't be receiving it.

I didnt think they could give hybrid human/alien kids chemo.

But seriously, I think that the judge should have just outsmarted them and said I prayed last night and God told me to tell you that He wants your son to get chemo. Problem solved!

[edit on 5/20/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

The article does not imply that they never would have accepted the treatment, they attended the first appointment and received the full first treatment. The boy went into respirtory distress (it does not give the serevity or any other specifics) and combined with issues that he and family already had regarding his aunts death related to chemo, they decided not to continue. It is unfortunate that they do not want the treatment, but it is their right, everyone has the right to refuse treatment.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
It is unfortunate that they do not want the treatment, but it is their right, everyone has the right to refuse treatment.

Adults of sound mind have the right to refuse treatment. This is a mentally challenged 13 year old. Huge difference. That is why it is up to the courts.

There have been a number of cases in which religion sects allowed children to die of easily preventable diseases. That is not a "freedom of choice" issue when it involves minors, that gets into a whole other thing.

The article says the kid DOES NOT BELIEVE HE IS ILL. If that doesn't tell you that he doesn't understand, I can't imagine what would.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Chemo kills, it kills no only the cancer cells but also the healthy ones.

It damages the hart and other organs and is irreversible, so if the chemo works for the tumor it will end up getting the body into other complications that will end life sooner than later.

Even my grandfather lived with cancer without treatment for 25 years to die at the ripe age of over 100.

My father had the same fate as my grandfather and develope the same cancer a littler earlier in life, he refused sirgury and just took the minimal treatment, he is now 75 and the cancer while he still have it it has not spread since it was found 15 years ago.

He believe in healthy living and beside his cancer at his age he doesn't even have hart conditions.

So the medical comunity no always have all the answers.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

The point is it shouldn't be up to the courts, the boys parents are of sound mind and body and all medical decisions are at their discretion. The court system has no place in health care decisions. I could understand if perhaps the boy wanted the treatment and the parents didn't and therefore a child advocate is necessary, but he doesn't want it either.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is just another example out of many that the government is out of control and overstepping its bounds. It has no right to dictate what sort of medical care this boy and his family should allow. Freedom has truly been lost in this country since the rise of fascist liberalism. When are people going to think for themselves and rise up to crush them into non-existence?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Just wait til the govt. & doctors tells you that you have to let them cut off your child's arm because it is the best chance they'll be saved.

And your child says they'd rather die than lose their right arm and hand.

It is not the place or role of the govt. to interfere with the family's medical decisions. Sorry, if you think it is, we really probably need to live in different countries.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The govt. has proved they care little for a child with cancer since they've ordered that child into foster care.

IF they wanted him well, really, would they put him, with cancer, under that sort of stress? Because that's what the judge orderd - foster care AND treatment.

My neighbor's kids were in foster care, and it terrified them. They are terrified now that they will be taken again. Much more than they are of their parents. They said their foster parents never even bothered to learn their names.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If the government is going to support a womans right to remove her growing child from her womb and throw it in the garbage can, it seems pretty hypocritical that they demand any parent seek a specific treatment for there children. Good for that mother to defend her sons choice(and right) not to participate in a form of treatment that he feels will do more harm than good. Assisted suicide(death with dignity) was passed here in Washington, and abortion is still legal, and the last time I checked we citizens are still free to practice our own religion, but if the courts disagree with you they will hop right into your life and tell you how to live it...not to mention tell you what kind of cars they want you to drive or what kind of food they want you to eat. Who needs a brain when you have the U.S. Government, lol.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Adults of sound mind have the right to refuse treatment. This is a mentally challenged 13 year old. Huge difference. That is why it is up to the courts.

There have been a number of cases in which religion sects allowed children to die of easily preventable diseases. That is not a "freedom of choice" issue when it involves minors, that gets into a whole other thing.

The article says the kid DOES NOT BELIEVE HE IS ILL. If that doesn't tell you that he doesn't understand, I can't imagine what would.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Sonya610]
Who says only an adult with a sound mind can make a decision because I am sorry to tell you that most people in this world are mentally sick. Smokers and drinkers are killing themselves everyday so the government should tell them to seek medical treatment. I don't recall reading anywhere in the Bill of Rights that they only apply if you are an adult of sound mind, I respect your opinion but don't confuse yourself as it is just that, an opinion. No court order when it was John Travolta's child, and if I am not mistaken they were fond of the scientologist believe of not using conventional methods for medical treatment unless absolutely necessary.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jnewell33

And if most people are mentally sick, then you will be first in line when the government decide that we all be screened for mental illness after all they are working very hard on it so when the government tell you that you need anti depressants and they force them on you, you will be more than happy to comply, after all is all for your good right?

Wake up.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by marg6043]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Actually chemo has cured many people….

Remarkably, a decade later at the National Cancer Institute, Roy Hertz and Min Chiu Li discovered that the same methotrexate treatment alone could cure choriocarcinoma (1958), a germ-cell malignancy that originates in trophoblastic cells of the placenta. This was the first solid tumour to be cured by chemotherapy.

This approach was extended to the lymphomas in 1963 by Vincent T. DeVita and George Canellos at the NCI, who ultimately proved in the late 1960s that nitrogen mustard, vincristine, procarbazine and prednisone — known as the MOPP regimen — could cure patients with Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Currently, nearly all successful cancer chemotherapy regimens use this paradigm of multiple drugs given simultaneously.

This accidental discovery, however, soon initiated a series of investigations and studies into the effects of platinum compounds on cell division, culminating in the synthesis of cisplatin. This drug was pivotal in the cure of testicular cancer.

The discovery that certain toxic chemicals administered in combination can cure certain cancers ranks as one of the greatest in modern medicine. Childhood ALL, testicular cancer, and Hodgkins disease, previously universally fatal, are now generally curable diseases. The early revolution in cancer therapy was largely a North American experience, powered by an optimistic and forward-looking United States Federal government, which funded the NCI with the same "big-idea" philosophy as the Apollo Program.

wikipedia/history of chemotherapy

Yes chemo has very bad side effects but IMO the side effects and success of chemo outweigh the risks, that is how drugs are determined to have a medical value by the FDA.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I know that the article says that the boy has "mental illness" and many here cite it in their arguements. Does anyone know what type of mental illness he has? The judge said that Daniel can not read or write, but illteratecy doesn't make one handicap. So has it been released as to why he is incapable of understanding? Especially since he was aware enough to testify in court about his wishes.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by searching4truth]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I feel the government should butt out and leave the family be.

There are many alternatives to cure cancer and unfortunatly, most of the good treatments are overseas. I wonder why that is.

We are born with free will and we should be able to decide what we want for ourselves.

I dont want anythiing to happen to the boy, but this isnt right. I hope they are overseas getting alternative treatments and remain in hiding until they feel they have done something that may work.

I guess the government sees the kid as a potential another Boy Scout and warrior for the NWO.

Leave it alone. I may do the same thing were i in the same position as they are.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
what does the kid say about it, has he educated himself on ALL options on the table for him? Chemo is 1 in likely many roads cancer patients can take. This sounds like forced extortion..i can name a few other fields of economy which promote such activity.

And why is government limiting care? That is obsurdity #1

Shouldn't it be. In the world as a whole, allow patients to get care from a free option meaning if I think that chewing on trees in my yard will heal me, i can do that..

Granted its completely insane to do so. Although some bark actually does hold healing properties.

Im saying the world is shifting, people keeping comparing yesterdays working to make new ones, i say we forward think, instead of holding back society, from freedom to choose..whatever niche they fall into, then rather than oppressive over reactive legal enforcers pouncing everything with money vacuums or electric compliance machines..have a caring application, like some regions in canada achieved on a social level, a big suburb or urban area doesn't require more than what small towns have. A soul. Togetherness, and positive drive. Forget the old days for a moment, then imagine what it would be like if all you did was have positive thoughts, all the time. Creative and eventful-with others thoughts. impressing intellect rather than ego. To yourself, then all follows.

wow that got preachy..
bye

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join