It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The science of voodoo: When mind attacks body

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Happened across this during my daily reading...thought some here may find it interesting, I know I do..

Late one night in a small Alabama cemetery, Vance Vanders had a run-in with the local witch doctor, who wafted a bottle of unpleasant-smelling liquid in front of his face, and told him he was about to die and that no one could save him. Back home, Vanders took to his bed and began to deteriorate. Some weeks later, emaciated and near death, he was admitted to the local hospital, where doctors were unable to find a cause for his symptoms or slow his decline. Only then did his wife tell one of the doctors, Drayton Doherty, of the hex.

Source

Doherty thought long and hard. The next morning, he called Vanders's family to his bedside. He told them that the previous night he had lured the witch doctor back to the cemetery, where he had choked him against a tree until he explained how the curse worked. The medicine man had, he said, rubbed lizard eggs into Vanders's stomach, which had hatched inside his body. One reptile remained, which was eating Vanders from the inside out.

Read the rest of the article to find out what happened...

Also I would like to hear of similar experiences that you might have had, regarding this subject.....Thank you in advance!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
i guess its similar to the placebo effect

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This is basicly a bunch of crap! You have a casw that is 80 years old. That means the records have been dystroyed, which means there is no proof!
Since I have been a healthcare practicioner for the last 39 yrs, I can pretty muc guarntee that the lizard was palmed by the doctor in order to convince the patient he was healed.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I have heard some incredible cases of extraordinary mind over matter - instances, for example, where people have been blind folded and had sharp ice slid down their arm to create the affect of a slit wrist and, in this experiment, people actually died because they believed their wrists had been cut and that the water that was dripping from the ice down their arm was really blood. Like the "Nocebo effect" they mentioned in the article..

In saying that, I do however truly believe that there is a particular power involved with voodoo that I, for one, wouldn't mess with. Whether that comes down to overwhelming belief, whether on the victim's part or the offender's.. A strong belief that they can make things happen.. Or whether there's just a very present evil involved..
Possibly, it's just exemplifying the extraordinary power of the mind.

Have you ever read about the 'zombies' in Haiti??

[edit on 19/5/09 by pretty_vacant]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Please take the time to read the article carefully, you have no idea how bad you just embarrassed yourself....

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

I just think it's amazing the power that we've been given...and so few utilize it for the positive...

Another thought that crossed my mind.......How many people are contracting the H1N1 Flu virus through negative thought???

top topics

join