It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot warriors will get a guide to ethics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Robot warriors will get a guide to ethics

www.msnbc.msn.com

Smart missiles, rolling robots, and flying drones currently controlled by humans, are being used on the battlefield more every day. But what happens when humans are taken out of the loop, and robots are left to make decisions, like who to kill or what to bomb, on their own?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Looks like the machines are being made autonomous. I've never been one to believe the Terminator/Matrix scenario, but i'm rethinking my stance. What happens when the machines are caught by the enemy and reprogrammed? What happens when they blow a fuse and lose their "ethics?" I really hope the people responsible for this are giving all the "what if" situations due consideration.

TA

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Fear might influence human decision-making, but math rules for robots. Simplified, various actions can be classified as ethical or unethical, and assigned a certain value. Starting with a lethal action and subtracting the various ethical responses to the situation equals an unethical response. Other similar equations governor the various possible actions.

its all in the numbers for them !
our "human" leaders often look at actions the same way

i dont think well need to worry about this realistically, hollywood provides many drastic scenarios for this, and if it was to happen in the future we would only have ourselves to blame.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by phi1618]

[edit on 19-5-2009 by phi1618]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
What happens when the machines are caught by the enemy and reprogrammed?

It would take a very technologically advanced enemy to do that, if they have that capability then they likely have the ability to produce their own robots.

What happens when they blow a fuse and lose their "ethics?"

The same thing as when a human soldier blows a fuse. They’re either killed or restrained by other soldiers.

This level of autonomy is a long way off and I doubt that humans will really be fully out of the loop.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join