It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighter planes to fly near Staten Island (NY) Wednesday morning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Fighter planes to fly near Staten Island Wednesday morning

www.silive.com

Fighter planes to fly near Staten Island Wednesday morning
by The Jersey Journal
Tuesday May 19, 2009, 3:12 PM
Four jet fighter planes will roar up the Hudson River in a low altitude flyover tomorrow morning as part of Fleet Week festivities, officials said.

The 11:45 a.m. flyover by F-18 Hornets will begin at the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and continue north to the George Washington Bridge, where the aircraft will exit New York City airspace.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newsday.com
www.nytimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Air Force One Backup Rattles New York Nerves

[edit on 19-5-2009 by finemanm]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Okay, this is really bizarre. I found this article to confirm what I saw today as I was having some coffee with a friend of mine at the World Financial Center.

Background: World Financial Center is the four large buildings that were built on the landfill created when digging out the WTC's foundation. It sits right on the lower west side of Manhattan on the Hudson River.

Today's observation: At about 6:00 PM, as I was with my friend, at least four F/A 18 Hornets flew right past us at about - in my opinion - 1000 feet over the Hudson at a relatively slow pace. They flew one at a time, about 30 seconds to a minute apart.

The above article says they are supposed to fly tomorrow at 11:30 am. I find absolutely no mention of a fly by today.

More background: Every year the Blue Angels did an Air Show by Coney Island on the 4th of July, so I am familiar with what an F/A 18 looks like, and I have seen them around here before, but the Blue Angels are painted a very particular shade of blue and are clearly not meant for war.

These planes were the typical navy grey fighter jets.

Why does the US military think it is appropriate to keep fly fighter jets past ground zero lately?

www.silive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is strange, with all the uproar that Air Force 1 created a few weeks back, you'd think they'd atleast have a months notice?? I mean not a lot of people have the internet and this is just going to freak them out more....

Good Find OP!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
how much does it cost to do this type of thing, seems kinda foolish considering the state of the economy currently.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

The Air Force One photo op cost over $300,000 dollars. I just don't understand the government. I have looked everywhere, and that article from a tiny local paper from one of NYC's five boroughs was the only place I found confirmation of what I saw today.

Where is the up roar over this. Four F/A - 18 Hornets fly up the Hudson river and no one blinks?

I found this on NYC.gov:

9:48 am - TUE, May 19, 2009
Notify NYC - Notification
This is a message from Notify NYC. Notification 1 issued 5/19/09 at 9:45 AM. Fleet Week events through Tuesday, May 26th include military aircraft flyovers and aerial demonstrations in the NYC area.

It's one thing if it is an organized air show involving the Blue Angels or something, but four fighter jets flying by Manhatten is just stupid.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by finemanm]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Theres a difference between a 747 flying low near a national landmark with a fighter jet right with it and 4 Naval fighters flying low over a river. It is national maritime day on friday, and the F/A-18 is our naval fighter so that might be it. But either way the military has to fly aircraft to practice. That's what sets us apart from the rest of the world. As long as theyre not going supersonic and blowing the windows out of skyscrapers I say its no big deal.

new topics

top topics

join