It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Earthquake Just Hit LA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Another Earthquake Just Hit LA

earthquake.usgs.gov

Friend of mine just reported that another earthquake just hit the LA area, they estimate it to be about a 5.0.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's not showing up on the USGS site yet. Will post a link when available. There has been a lot of geological activity around the Lennox, California area recently -- those were in the magnitude of 3 - 4 range. My friend said this definitely felt bigger.

If you follow the link to the map, you will see a large cluster of recent quakes in California, even more so than normal.

earthquake.usgs.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Here is a link to the local news:

www.nbclosangeles.com...

Another Quake Strikes Near Hawthorne, Lennox

A magnitude-4.1 earthquake struck near Hawthorne on Tuesday afternoon, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

4.7 Quake May Have Been a Warmup

Watch VideoThe original quake was the strongest to strike the area since the magnitude-5.5 earthquake that hit in Chino Hills last July 29.
View SlideshowSouthern Californians practice for the "Big One" -- an earthquake along the San Andreas Fault.
The epicenter was located 2 miles northeast from Hawthorne, 2 miles east southeast from Lennox, and 2 miles south southeast from Inglewood.

The earthquake, which had a depth of 7.5 miles, struck at 3:49 p.m.

At 3:51 p.m., a magnitude-2.5 quake struck 2 miles west of Hawthorne and 4 miles south of Inglewood.

The tremor follows a magnitude-4.7 earthquake that struck in the same area on Sunday night.

Seismologists say Sunday's quake happened on the Newport-Inglewood Fault, a fault line they first discovered when a quake hit in nearly the exact spot in 1920. The same fault was responsible for a damaging earthquake in Long Beach in 1933, but experts don't expect it to cause another major quake.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

"There are no reports of fire, significant damage or injuries related to this event," Humphrey added. The shake was widely felt throughout Los Angeles and struck just 7.5 miles deep, according to the California Integrated Seismic Network. The West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center said there was no risk of a tsunami.

adjix.com...

A little more, No reports of damage thank goodness,
Please take care all in the area,

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I hope no one gets hurt, but I must wonder how long until the "Big One" comes??? They said by 2020(97% chance I think) and it is getting ever closer.

Greeneyeleo: Good to see you still posting a lot even though being a mod.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Looks as though there is some new activity right now in Yellow Stone Park.
www.isthisthingon.org...
Don't know if there related just thought I'd toss it in.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Wow , alot of earthquake activity in California lately. I vividly remember the Whitier quake prior to leaving L.A. Now I face the dangers of tornados ; well at least you can see them coming.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I'm pretty surprised though that did not cause damage as its not very deep, LA is a pretty lucky place tonight, that low level depth can have bad consequences,

Lets just hope that this is just a little bit of tension being released.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Check out the forecast map for LA.

24-Hour Aftershock Forecast Map

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
These aftershocks were predicted, so I'm not surprised. I just hope the predictions of the "big one" aren't true.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I felt the one a day or two ago but not this most recent one. The other one lasted for about 15 seconds so that was fun, hopefully any big earth quakes are not around the corner.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I don't think people in the world realize how used to earthquakes southern Californians are. To be honest, sometimes I wonder how a 5.0 can do so much damage in other countries as they really don't shake that bad unless you're right on the fault, and even then...Hawthorne didn't fall down & that area is dense -shrugs-
There's been a lot of earthquake retro fitting here as well as all the new buildings are made to sway with earthquakes so they don't topple easily.

But yeah, it's been shaking here quite a bit, and there have been earthquake swarms in the Salton Sea & off the coast of socal as well. Not to mention another little shaker in the hills of Orange County weeks ago.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'll bet my lunch money the "big one" comes with in the next 5 years. I'll see ya'll down in Arizona Bay.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm glad that it wasn't any bigger. Hopefully the "Big One" comes at a time when no one is in LA or the surrounding area (I have no idea why, but that is my best case scenario).

What's crazy is we had a 3.4 (maybe a 3.2 or 3.3) in Fort Worth, Texas on Saturday. When in the world did North Texas start having earthquakes? There were at least three back in October, I hope this doesn't become a normal thing.

new topics

top topics

join