It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Are Fast-Tracking Nearly 1,000-Page 'Cap-and-Trade' Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Democrats Are Fast-Tracking Nearly 1,000-Page 'Cap-and-Trade' Bill

www.cnsnews.com

Democrats on the House Energy and Commerce Committee put their cap and trade global warming bill--that would increase U.S. energy prices, including electricity bills--on the fast track Monday. Republicans, meanwhile, are complaining that the expedited process is designed to avoid well-informed public debate about what the bill will do and its consequences for American consumers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

[edit on 19-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This can't be good. They're pushing this through way too fast and in too sneaky a manner. They know that it wouldn't get passed otherwise. They know that this is nothing but a sham and the only way to get it passed, is to slide it through while nobody is looking. Hopefully, there will be just enough opposition to this legislation scrapped, but i'm not getting my hopes up. Be prepared for the new improved electric bills heading your way.

TA

www.cnsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
At the end of the day though, anything done to limit the amount of pollution spewed out by the U.S.A must be a good thing...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Just another reason for a good 'ole fashioned revolutionary donnybrook

[edit on 19-5-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I believe in alternative sources of energy, don't get me wrong, but if this cap & trade gets passed, it will have disastrous consequences for business as a whole, and the US economy. This legislation will effect every Tom Dick & Harry in the United States. You think you're paying a lot for gas now? Think you're paying too much in electricity bills now? Just wait until (if) this bill passes.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Another fine product brought to you by your friendly Democratic party. Well at least while we all freeze to death when we cant afford to heat our houses at least we will be breathing better.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

The problem is, there is no concrete evidence to suggest that the cap and trade system will actually do anything to combat "global warming."

I suggest reading any of jdub297's threads. He's forgotten more about the subject than i could ever hope to remember.

What's being capped in this scam is the productivity of one company in favor of another and what's being traded is political favors.

TA

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Just like congress to push things through without thinking about the consequences of such actions. If the Cap and Trade Swindle devastates the economy before mid-term time I fully expect to see the Democratic powerhouse in Congress broken to pieces. A little too one-sided in Congress right now for my liking and this is a prime example of why.

[edit on 5/19/2009 by Helig]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

I just wish that instead of fast-tracking this bill, that for once, we would take our time and do it right. 1000 pages! are you serious?! This reminds me of the stimulus bill which was "fast-tracked" and thousands of pages long, so much so that it was nearly impossible to read.

Cap and trade could be a good thing if it is done properly, but I have absolutely no confidence that it will.

-E-

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Yup, they're doing the exact same thing they did with the stimulus bill. I wonder exactly what it is that they don't want considered before this thing gets signed. They're up to something.

TA

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

It's simply a global tax.....shoved down our throats for our own good, of course....that's what "they" don't want us to realize....

[edit on 19-5-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
If this passes when the people start seeing there inflated gas and electric bills the democrats will find it hard to get elected next time.

Over 50% of Americans believe global warming is a hoax to begin with.
add this cap and trade law and what its going to cost and the people will get fed up with the democrats real quick.

the Rasmussen Reports national surveying "Just one in three voters (34 percent) now believe global warming is caused by human activity,

www.theblogofrecord.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter

It's simply a global tax.....shoved down our throats for our own good, of course....that's what "they" don't want us to realize....

Yeah, you're probably right. No real conspiracy, just another promise obama will have flaked on: "No increased taxes on the poor"

TA

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It's only putting a 0.5% tax on all energy consumption above twice the normal rate of any household, based on statistics from the last 15 years.

If that's not what it's going to do, THEN WHAT IS IT GOING TO DO?!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The small .05%, "Starting" tax rate is effectively a price entry point, it is low so that the public & commercial business owners don't flip their lid when it is implemented; however, this small tax will most certainly be increased, and a lot faster than anyone would imagine. It's all smiles, handshakes, and promises of, "strong limitation" when they want shove it to citizens, but, mark my words, when this bill is passed, it is going to hurt.

There is some SERIOUS, momentum behind making this tax a reality, and I think that, "Cap And Trade" is just the beginning.

I'd like to present an excerpt from a report I wrote that covered many different conservative vs liberal issues, but I'll only include my take on global warming, and carbon taxation. Please don't mistake my tendency towards conservatism as bias, I vote for whom I feel best represents my interests regardless of party affiliation, I consider myself to be a moderate, but I feel the Democrats are going toooooo far with this issue. Fast-tracking a carbon tax, what an insult.

without further ado:

Global warming is a topic that catches a huge amount of attention in the contemporary media currently. So I ask? Is all the hype really just about educating the public? Is it an attempt to convince citizens to stop using aerosol sprays? Hardly, I think there’s a more cynical agenda behind it. At the root of the topic I take a moderately conservative view because global warming is a very tough subject. On one side of the equation, global warming, if real, might permanently damage our planet if not addressed and rectified; however, on the other side, there just isn’t enough historic/contrasting evidence to establish that it is in fact happening. In plain English, prior to the nineteen thirties there was no scientific method to measure the Earth’s climate, in fact, archeological evidence shows that the planet has gone through many cycles where it raises in temperature for a period and then cools down for an amount of time. What worries me the most about this issue is that progressive liberals are looking to capitalize on it. There’s an agenda to push on the American public a new tax, titled, “the carbon tax.” The basis of the tax encompasses any activity, process, life-cycle that renders CO2 as a result of it happening. The implications are absolutely mind-boggling, if liberals like Al Gore, have it their way, in the very near future, citizens will have to pay a tax to breathe, yes, that’s right, to breathe. The carbon tax agenda will be packaged and marketed by liberals to the American public as a necessity in order to lessen the output of CO2 gas that is killing our planet, but the real fact of reality is that it will just be another load of hot air blown at public wallets with the intent of appropriating their money away in the gust. Big corporations will still wreak havoc on the environment with reckless abandon, but normal citizens will now be flipping the bill to clean up the mess, along with whatever other nonsense government deems necessary to prevent further warming. I hope fellow conservatives in Washington and throughout the country are paying close attention to this matter. The cabal behind implementing carbon taxation needs to be thwarted before the tax becomes a reality for America.

-CosmicClearance

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicClearance

That is correct, years ago, I heard it was one of the plans of the Elites to tax the world so they could further their agenda. I don't know how truthful it was at the time, then everything got quit about the subject.

I know of people who have no Electric and can not afford it, but pass this tax and all is lost for those people already having problems with the electric bill.

I say turn off some of the street lights starting in D.C. first if they are serious about it.

Wander how many people are gonna freeze this coming winter because of this increase.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
They are screwing us fast... only ONE DAY after Bilderberg meeting ended, they push the legislation to screw us... starting low with a tax, but they will rise it quickly and it will be paid to the world government.

Disgusting... this is another proof this administration and a lot of congress is totally controlled.

And again from California... can we nuke California yet? Pelosi, Feinstein and that retard Henry Waxman? California is full of scumbags... and I'm not only talking about those they elect, but also those who elect them.

How dumb can you be to vote for Hillary Clinton? How dumb can you be to vote for Swarzi? How dumb can you be to vote for Pelosi? How dumb can you be to vote for Feinstein? You have to be Californian type of dumb.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

how many people are gonna freeze this coming winter because of this increase.

They can warm themselves with the sense of pride in doing their civic duty and playing their part in combating the Climate Change menace, i suppose.

I hate the government...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The corruption behind this bill is outrageous. In order to obtain the necessary votes to ram this through, they have been promising carbon credit coupons to lobbyist firms that are favorites of Congressional members that were not initially for this bill. They are literally buying the votes they need.
Does anyone still think that we live in a Democracy or a Republic anymore?
This entire system is corrupt beyond repair.

new topics

top topics

join