It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco, don't want to see any of that.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
You see disclamers about smoking in a movie where there is killing. Retarded. They passed a law in my province where you cant smoke in a car with anyone under 16. I'm not pro cigarettes but my mother smoked 2 packs a day while pregnent with 3 of us and we are all perfectly healthy. I dont see an overall decline in lung cancer with all these new laws they came out with. Screw them.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I was smoking when typing this.
Wow I can’t even laugh about this. All the focus on how bad second hand smoke is, it's only taking the attention off of factories cars and other major polluters.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Lord of the Rings was written before the current anti-smoking craze. The movies were made as fair to the books as possible (without Bombadil (poor Tom!)), and that includes pipe smoking. But, pipe smoking is more accepted than cigarette smoking. There would have been heart attacks if they rolled one up.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
reply to post by eNumbra

Lord of the Rings was written before the current anti-smoking craze. The movies were made as fair to the books as possible (without Bombadil (poor Tom!)), and that includes pipe smoking. But, pipe smoking is more accepted than cigarette smoking. There would have been heart attacks if they rolled one up.

And Xfiles was written even before that (LotR Movie anyway since this thread is about movies), which was the point of my reply to your accusation of only the bad guys smoke (as a sort of propaganda tactic). Pipe smoking also, is not more accepted than cigarettes; cigarettes just hold a much larger share of the tobacco market.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
This is complete overkill. This is all to protect children? Doubtful. You can't shelter children too much, it doesn't work. It doesn't prepare them for the world ahead properly. How many of our parents smoked, chewed tobacco and all that good stuff? I think we turned out fine. How about the generation before that? I am aware of the health risks, but this is beyond a protect your child agenda, it's an extension of the actual agenda to demonize smoking in hopes it'll get people to quit. So what are going to do with all of those old movies where everyone had a cigarette dangling in their mouth. Are they going to completely censor all of that out? How about "I Love Lucy"? Lucy and other cast members are seen with cigarettes and because of that are they going to censor probably the funniest sitcom of all time and put warnings of evil smoking going on?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'm sure alot of anti smoking, clean up the earth while driving my SUV people are happy about it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
You're all on the wrong track. Don't you get it?
Tobacco exists. Everyone at one point or another while be in the position where they are offered a cigarette while they are an adult or even teenager. Warnings will NOT change a persons next move in those situations. People don't quit because of the warnings and since Tobacco sales are going up I'm going to say that people won't say no to a cigarette because of the warnings.

The Government knows this. That's why they place the warnings in any spot where they can. It seems weird for the biggest supporters of Tobacco to also be trying to prevent it, and that's the reason - because they know that by placing "DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES" that the subconscious remembers "SMOKE CIGARETTES" due to the human mind's love to disobey, it doesn't think it is necessary to remember the "DO NOT" part."
The person is subjected to this everywhere they go.

The 1960s had "SMOKE CIGARETTES" everywhere. 2009 has "DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES" everywhere. It's all the same. $$$

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
"This film has scenes portraying the use of tobacco."

WTF?
Yes, I smoke. I'm outside, 30 feet away from any given entrance.

Intrepid... I'm smoking right now! Oh Em Gee! It's a cigarette filled with Tobacco!

I also have an eCig around here somewhere...

When I smoke, I smoke 29' from any given entrance, if they have problem with it, I show them my butt.

AND When they really upset me, I even drop the butt at the door and step on it on the threshold on the way in, they can feel free to kick me out.

I've encountered ANTI-Smokers like that, mostly on the west coast. They are out to p!ss smokers off... even go out of their way to do it.

Heh, in Idaho they have ashtrays on the desks where I used to work. Go figure...

eCigarette \o/ FTW and to shut them up.
And One Ring to in the darkness bind them!

[edit on 5·20·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix

eCigarette \o/ FTW and to shut them up.
And One Ring to in the darkness bind them!

This thread will entertain you then:
Conspiracy to kill the electronic cigarette?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The Puritans aren't getting anywhere with making sex sinful these days--in fact, the popular belief is that it is healthy and good for you.

So the Puritans have to find another desire of the flesh to mortify and smoking is it. It's not really that it's unhealthy, it's the fact that it gives pleasure which is the real source of disapproval.

I was raised in a home where our religion didn't allow smoking or drinking. So what did I do? As soon as I was old enough I did both. It was taboo. How else was I going to assert my independence?

There will always be Puritans in any society, I guess, but their anti-smoking fervor is only going to drive the young into rebellion. I see it with my college students already. A lot more than you would think (given the relentless anti-smoking campaigns of the last few years) are smoking not only like chimneys but the highest tar and nicotine kind of cigarettes they can buy.

If you want to increase desire for something, make it taboo.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
LMAO- "Fourth hand smoke." Good grief. I have to see this for myself. Thank goodness we can censor our movie choices now based on smoking. Lord knows there aren't more important things that we should take into consideration.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I seen where video games are doing this now. I don't play video games but my Mom does to kill time and last time we went to the store I seen on the game box near the ratings that it says something along the lines of "contains alcohol and tobacco references". I couldn't help but laugh. This was at Walmarts though, that could explain the tardness of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join