It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco, don't want to see any of that.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I went to see Star Trek yesterday, good movie. The Rabbit was right. What caught my eye was in the coming attractions. They showed the trailer and at the end, down at the bottom was a disclaimer, "This film has scenes portraying the use of tobacco."

WTF? They have to have a disclaimer that someone in the movie smokes a ciggy? What's that? 4th hand smoke? This castigation of smokes has gone too damn far imo. Yes, I smoke. I'm outside, 30 feet away from any given entrance. Isn't this just overkill? I mean, God forbid that some kids parents watch The Maltese Falcon or another classic. Plenty of cigs smoked in those.

*shakes head*

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
That's really interesting, Ive never seen that before.

I think I am going to sue the makers of any movie that depicts alcohol or drug use without a disclaimer, since I have lost family members to both.

Whose with me???

Oh wait, no, tobacco is the only thing they are heathenizing right now.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
If a parent is so intent on sheltering their kids that they don't even let them watch movies that contain smoking then I suspect they have already failed as a parent because in college they WILL be exposed to that and so much more. Hooray for the nanny-state

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
wow, all I can say is ats never surprises me with either profound information or completely insane topic matter.

This is the latter

"depicts people smoking"

This is so bizarre as to be incomprehensible

If watching something in a movie alters our behavior

Then where are all the other warnings

Like "depicts end of the flippin world"

"depicts %^& bleepin holocaust "

"depicts endless sex of a kind you'll never experience"

"depicts giant maniacal car chases"

I guess what they are saying is:

"It's perfectly okay to drive 120 mph while high on dope with a woman performing oral on you in the front seat, shooting a magnum out the window at the cops.... so long as your not g-d damn smoking"

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
"This film has scenes portraying the use of everything. Since everything is illegal, we regret to inform you that you will be charged with a crime at the door. For your convenience trial by jury is waived and all you will have to do is pay the $200.00 fine to the officer. We accept all major NWO credit cards."

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Exactly. Can you imagine the disclaimers that would be needed for Deliverance if it was made today?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That's bananas. What's next, people start coughing when they watch it in films?

*Put that out! I can't breathe!*

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think that's waaaaaay over the top -- such a warning. What are parents supposed to do when they see this warning? bundle up their family and flee the wicked den of moviedom? No, it's just a cheap shot at trying to mitigate cries of litigation in this litigation-happy world. Really silly.

I stopped smoking about a month before Paloma smacked us last November, and I'm really glad, as I'd have been a chimney in the aftermath. I rememer growing up in northern Idaho, people often carried a pouch of tobacco -- even if they didn't smoke. It was considered respectful and good form to make a present of tobacco when talking with the native Americans of the area.

Yes, I think cigs in particular have little redeeming value to the body as a whole, but I fail to see why the mere depiction of people smoking is such a horrid thing to behold. Smoking is. People, unless they are sheltered to the point of suffocation, are going to witness it.

If I found out tomorrow that I was going to expire, I know I'd stay up all night and chainsmoke [among other things]. Like the OP, I never smoked around nonsmokers [or at least what it sounds like Intrepid does].

Short answer: I think this is political correctness gone insane. Somebody please invent a "green" cigarette.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
They really added a disclaimer to the movie because of smoking? Well I have not seen it yet, and I'm pretty much broke and can't see it anyway. Though I believe the reason for this is probably for a new campaign about the awareness of drugs being portrayed in games as well as movies. Most games will have something due to drug use and bump it up to Teen, I would assume the same goes for cigarettes. Seeing as it's supposed to be a summer block buster and is being marketed by every corporation [ or so it seems ] in the nation, they probably didn't want kids to imitate anything in the movie (as some kids will) so they put it up there for parents.

Though I agree this has probably gone to far, even though I can't be around smokers for long due to asthma and such I really don't think if I sit in the movie, that I'll start having an attack due to fumes from the character in the movie smoking...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I am pretty sure that there is no way Deliverance would make it into theaters today, some parent group would get their undies twisted up around their necks and with every gasp work to get it pulled and burnt in a dumpster behind the studio.

link   
This world has gone upside down in the past 20 years. Cruella D'Ville has even had her smoke taken away from her in 101 Dalmations movie I heard. We are systematically being stripped of everything we have that is chosen by freewill. Heck they've probably put a tax on oxygen or are thinking about it....

link   

It's ridiculous to say the least ...

On the other hand, I can see you watching the movie and all you can think about is ...

"Must post this on ATS, must post ..."

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

And, the person smoking is always the evil, bad guy. Smoking man in X-files, human traffickers in Taken, etc... It's almost 1984ish.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hello? where have you been? this world has been going topsy turvy for a while now incase you didn't notice.yes it insane beyond belief,but welcome to the 21st century.And i can just bet you there will be some members who agree with showing such a warning! thats the scary thing...

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
lol this is funny because

most people do not mind seeing explicit violence or sex, but a cig, oh heaven forbid it

i do think they need to just get over the tobacco thing already

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
And, the person smoking is always the evil, bad guy. Smoking man in X-files, human traffickers in Taken, etc... It's almost 1984ish.

In Lord of the Rings many of the protagonists, Human, Dwarf and Hobbit alike all smoked from pipes.

I'm sure there are other examples too.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Any kind of disclaimer like that is unreasonable. aren't we all free people?If i dont like that movie because it has alcohal abuse in it then it is MY choice not to watch it. Some how i can't help but think that it is another form of trying to control everyone.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Ok - I'm going to rant a little on this. I've seen a lot of pro social engineering commentary lately on ATS. Social Engineering and all this lets "fix other people by coercion, guilt trips,intimidation, and the government, etc.", is all part of keeping people dependent on government. Governments have to pass this law or that law, people can't say or do this or that or we'll tell the government. People can't smoke here or there thank god the government has saved us. We all do it and it's the very dependency the government wants. This stupid ad is just another example of reinforcing the idea that government is there to protect us. If we are ever going to "Fix" the situation, people are going to have to accept the old saying "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.". The sticks and stones are breaking a natural law physical harm to others. The words are not, hurting someones feelings isn't harm. If someone wants to call someone else what ever they like or label them however they like people are going to have to face the fact that they can and should be allowed to and the consequences, whatever, if any, will come without government intervention. Government as the savior of ludicrous psuedo freedoms is a trap. People need to think outside the government bun. The more we lean on big brother, the weaker we become (I think I rhymed) . It is not freedom to hope big brother will step in an do something.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
That seems extremely ridiculous to me. Like downright stupid. People smoke. It's not illegal (yet). I could vaguely understand if it was teenagers smoking, like how they caption "teen drinking" in some movies for parental control reasons....but if it's a legal age smoker, what gives? That overbearing parent's kid is going to see people smoking out in public, who cares if it's in a movie? They're slowly but surely making smoking more and more taboo.

Before too long they'll be rounding up us smokers and we'll be burned at the stake!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The whole smoking issue is merely another way to divide and conquer.

Consider this... How many times in, say, a week do you smell vehicle exhaust (if you live in rural areas, not so much, but most live in urban areas).

How many studies do you know of that have measuered the effect of "second hand petrol?" None that I am aware of.

And yet... They have people convinced that a whiff of cig smoke from a passer-by on the street is a serious threat. But by far, the fumes from the vehicles around us are the threat.

And they surely aren't touting the health hazards of the exhaust, now are they?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join