It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO, Alien, Scientist Find Evidence Of Life On Planet HD189733B?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

UFO, Alien, Scientist Find Evidence Of Life On Planet HD189733B?

www.ufodigest.com

The discovery of building blocks of life on one of the closest known planets orbiting a star other than our own sun is a gas giant planet HD 189733B. Astronomers have detected water and carbon dioxide, key signs of life in the atmosphere of HD 189733B orbiting it's star 63 light years away form Earth in the constellation Vulpecula.

The carbon dioxide is the main reason for the excitement," said Mark Swain, a research scientist at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Ummmm, I don't know how reliable this source is.
And I don't know why the article says "ron stuart" a million times.

But if this is true it could be fairly interesting.

The fact that Methane was found lead to Ron Stewart conducting his investigation using APEP. Methane, composed of carbon and hydrogen, is one of the main components of natural gas, a product of petroleum on Earth, methane is produced by a variety of sources: natural sources such as termites, the oceans and wetland environments, but also from livestock and manmade sources such as waste landfills and as a by-product of energy generation, power plants.

So the fact that there is Methane found can mean alot.

Ok now that's alot of water!

www.ufodigest.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The story is legit but relatively old. It was first broke in December of last year, here is the story from another source..

Life on another planet? No, it's far too hot on HD 189733b for that, but the Hubble Space Telescope's first ever detection of an organic molecule in the atmosphere of a planet orbiting another star is big news. It's an important step in eventually identifying signs of life on a planet outside our Solar System.

Hubble found the tell-tale signature of methane in the atmosphere of the Jupiter-sized extrasolar planet HD 189733b. Under the right circumstances, methane can play a key role in prebiotic chemistry – the chemical reactions considered necessary to form life as we know it. Although methane has been detected on most of the planets in our Solar System, this is the first time any organic molecule has been detected on a world orbiting another star.

www.scientificblogging.com...

It seems the UFO site you went to exaggerate the facts a little bit to fit their paradigm. It is HUGE news none the less.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I don't get why they said they were excited about finding carbon dioxide. Look at Venus. Its atmosphere is almost all carbon dioxide, but pretty much no one expects any life to be found there.

Now, finding methane, oxygen and water vapor all together would be a lot more exciting ...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Hubble found the tell-tale signature of methane in the atmosphere of the Jupiter-sized extrasolar planet HD 189733b.

Hubble did find methane.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

haha unless its valiant thor.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
the threat title is VERY misleading though
DAMN YOU OP

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This is great news!

I can't believe I'm actually reading that they've discovered alien life here, even before it's shown on CNN!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Illuminatus I

They did not discover alien life, they discovered critical elements that could be conductive for life. This is not new either, it broke in Dec. of 2008. So calm down, it will come in time.

[edit on 5/19/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The technology for viewing distant objects up close has been making giant strides over the last decade. It’s like a time machine, being able to look into the past at what was when the light reached earth. The fact that
HD 189733B is little more than 61 light years away means we are seeing what happened on the surface 61 years ago. With the newest upgrades to the Hubble space telescope this week it will be likely to view planets surfaces up close finding life across the entire galaxy.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RonnieUFO
The technology for viewing distant objects up close has been making giant strides over the last decade. It’s like a time machine, being able to look into the past at what was when the light reached earth. The fact that
HD 189733B is little more than 61 light years away means we are seeing what happened on the surface 61 years ago. With the newest upgrades to the Hubble space telescope this week it will be likely to view planets surfaces up close finding life across the entire galaxy.

and thats pretty exciting stuff.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

They did not discover alien life, they discovered critical elements that could be conductive for life. This is not new either, it broke in Dec. of 2008. So calm down buddy, it will come in time.

For someone who has a "critical mind" you certainly can't detect sarcasm.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Well I tend to just be as neutral as I can be. Since it is kinda' difficult to detect human emotions online, no offense was meant towards you though.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Well I tend to just be as neutral as I can be. Since it is kinda' difficult to detect human emotions online, no offense was meant towards you though.

It seemed a little patronizing, to be honest.

Thank you for the apology, and I apologize in turn if I came off at all volatile.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

reply to post by ModernAcademia

Life on another planet? No, it's far too hot on HD 189733b for that, but the Hubble Space Telescope's first ever detection of an organic molecule in the atmosphere of a planet orbiting another star is big news.

Hah, I don't find that statement surprising coming from scientists, but did I miss some universal law they discovered that states what temperatures life could be sustained?
How the hell do they know that different life forms can't survive at temperatures more extreme than Earth's? They act as though Earth creates the universal laws of life and anything outside our understanding is an impossibility.

[edit on 5/19/2009 by bl4ke360]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The tempter of HD 189733B is not hot at the north pole of the planet, like earth the planet is tilted on it’s axes with the northern hemisphere getting very little direct sunlight. The fact that rain falls and the abundance of water is evident means the water is not boiling meaning the atmosphere is very dense with water vapor as Spitzer and Hubble both acknowledge. In addition the structures which look like buildings are placed inside a ¾ circular mountain side protecting it. Like the earths north pole the tempter is quite cooler and would likely be very inhabitable for all life forms. Most likely the planets size means that most of the planet is facing away from the sun 70% of the time cooling it quite nicely with night time being a week long. It’s more reasonable that life could flourish in that environment, deep oceans and lots of rain.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RonnieUFO

In addition the structures which look like buildings are placed inside a ¾ circular mountain side protecting it.

Where are you talking about?

Also I am curious as to how big the habitable zone on the planets poles would be? They said it was the size of Jupiter right? So the poles must contain a habitable zone around half the size of Earth (in square mileage)shouldn't they?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Yea it is funny how some scientists presume to know exactly what life needs. Although you can't blame them for anything except pushing their assumptions sometimes because scientifically we have to go by the only way we know life could exist. Also it is unlikely we could even communicate with some type of "extremophile-like ET" because they would be so drastically different than us.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It's them how many decades to find proof of water on mars? Now there just spotting planets with water from light years a way.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I think it's time to give up on Mars and focus on Mercury and other things light years away

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join