It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think you can drive and use a cell phone at the same time?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by C-JEAN

Assuming you'll be safer because some act is made illegal is ignorance at its finest.

Ha! You aren't an anarchist by any chance are you? Such logic!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by believer81

Well, explain it to me then.

Let's say there's a law on the books stating it is punishable by fine if I am caught using my cellphone while driving. What's preventing me from using my cellphone while driving? Does the existence of said law make it physically impossible for me to lift my phone to my ear? Physically impossible for me to drive around for hours and hours gabbing away about nothing at all?

Homer had his license taken away for driving drunk yet was about to drive off to save his family from a bunch of rednecks. Lisa says "Dad, you can't drive. They took your license." Homer responds, "I have to try!" Homer turns the key. The cars engine starts up. The Simpsons drive away.

Explain to me how any law prevents any crime? Decent people will behave decently. Indecent people will behave indecently regardless of how many laws are in place. You can't legislate decency.

The only things laws accomplish are to oppress the decent and provide a source of revenue and power for the state.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I've lived in two different countries. One being Australia one being the United Arab Emirates. The UAE is super tough on crime, lets almost anyone into the country to work yet is one of the safest countries in the world when it comes to violence.

On the other hand, the UAE almost never enforces its traffic laws. Hence speeding and dangerous driving is commonplace. The leading cause of death in children there is from car accidents. It has one of the highest per capita incidents car accident deaths in the world.

Now, you explain to me how punishment doesn't deter even the idiots amongst us?

EDIT: So are you an anarchist?

[edit on 20/5/2009 by believer81]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

The threat of punishment doesnt deter anything. Intense punishment after the fact to cull recidivism is what stops crime.

Mass has speeding laws, drunk driving laws, seatbelt laws, cell phone laws, and their accident/death rates are high. Vehicle related accident and death rates will always be high because so many people drive and so many people are morons.

If you find an individual is a consistent threat to others on the road just toss him into the ocean because he will continue to be a threat to others until he ends up dead or removed.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I guess you don't believe in rehabilitation or education either?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I dont.

If you dont know that getting wasted and racing 80MPH down a residential road is a bad idea by the time you can reach the pedals you wont ever.

Rehab is a waste. If you want to stop doing something then you'll stop. If you dont want to stop no amount of rehab will make you stop. It's a waste of resources and an enabler of bad behavior.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join