It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes a conspiracy theory a "conspiracy theory?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've been apart of this site for awhile, first just viewing, and then finally posting. Though, I'm at another site I've been with for the last four years. It's a large group of people, but few ever leave, so we all know one another.

Yesterday, I got into a debate with two of them on conspiracy theories. I created a thread at that site in which it houses news and discussion on UFOs, aliens, creatures, conspiracies, etc.

The debate was that many of the conspiracies that we discuss and watch should not be theories since many of them have limited knowledge.

I countered that point, stating that then, many theories in the world would have to disappear, seeing little to no evidence is available.

But, seeing I'm on a site that, like me, are conspiracy buffs, what gives a conspiracy theory the right to be a theory.

Are ideas able to just come, or must there be a limited amount of evidence to sustain it, to allow it to breathe?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm just going to shoot off the top of my head on this (great question by the way):

In my mind a "conspiracy theory" is a theory based around perceived facts, which are not mainstream. Most conspiracy theory are those facts that are perceived by "unqualified" sources. The "qualified" source facts are therefore given the most weight. The contention of the conspiracy theorist isn't really a theory at all...it's those that are qualified and authorized to speak about the facts, against those that are not qualified.

Welcome to the world of serfdom where your opinion holds no authority.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
A theory is an idea you set out to prove. A conspiracy theory is a theory without factual backing that you set out to prove.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I don't know where the line is actually drawn, but it's good to just look at conspiracy theories to get an understanding. Consider this one from 2001,

"A bunch of guys from a cave in Afghanistan, orchestrated the largest attack on American soil in history, using box cutters as weapons, 19 hijackers boarded planes without any knowledge of how to fly them, they then highjacked the planes, some how found their way back to manhattan and went 2 for 2 for direct, perfect hits. The other plane, attacked arguably the most 'heavily defended' building on planet earth, they even succeeded in having Norad stand down. Additionally, they made planes melt and steel structures fail to fire, though neither of these things had or have ever occurred since. As if all that wasn't enough, just before crashing into the WTC, one of the 19 highjackers parachuted down, and ran around the WTC complex planting military grade thermite explosives, even accidently planting it in a building that was never going to be hit by a plane. Then they managed to make WTC 7 collapse into its pad later the same day. The final icing on the cake, after they slammed their highjacked planes into the WTC buildings, they got out, brushed off their scrapes and ran into the basement to start planting molten metal which would be visible to infrared cameras for over 6 weeks after the collapses"

Wicked eh?

[edit on 19-5-2009 by king9072]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A conspiracy theory is a theory where you take the most paranoid interpretation of an event and then use minor, unprovable pieces of evidence to support your claim. Then you support your theory by calling anyone who disagrees SHEEPLE!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
for there to be a conspiracy, something has to have been conspired.

So, for example, if someone conspires to rob/kill/defraud someone/the population, then it is a conspiracy theory( until it is proven, or the act carried out)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Well it doesnt have to actually be conspired. You just have to be able to imagine it was conspired.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

Well it doesnt have to actually be conspired. You just have to be able to imagine it was conspired.
Fair enough, good point.

I think a conspiracy should also usually contain about 35% alien, and 5% NASA coverup 23.6 % shadey goverment and 98% Chuck Norris.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I agree. Any good conspiracy should include a good mix of things. My personal favorites are the ones where the people speak to the aliens and the aliens are like Joe Biden and spill all their plans to rule the world.

[edit on 5/19/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Someone needs to create a Chuck Norris double agent reptillian conspiracy. Where Chuck gets plastic surgery to look reptillian to make them think he is on their side, but then later turns against them. Just think of all the awesome martial arts he could do in weightless space.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I thought a conspiracy theory was; an Idea or theory which included two people plotting an indecent act.

top topics

join