It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Evolution: Research Show Robots Forming Human-like Societies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
reply to post by king9072

This whole thing is a hoax. A program written by a human does not evolve unless the human changes the programming, which is not evolution.

nah man sorry but you are wrong on this.

the ai adapts to its surroundings. just like in halo. those creatures running around are "thinking" and the code updates itself.

they dont run around and whichever ones survive get a tune up. they update each other and run it again. technically it is evolution, but obviously not their bodies, just their minds

there was another interesting thing i found, but it wasnt for evolving ai. they put a bunch of goldfish in aquariums that had sensors that would move the whole fish bowl as the fish swam in the bowl. they were allowed to roam an area with wheels, 1 goldfish per tank with about 5 goldfish all together.

they actually adapted to this and started to move in a "school" with their external selves.

do some research before you start hating. i dont care if it goes against your beliefs or not.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm curious as to what the 'neural programming' consisted of that the first generation of robots would have picked up. If they simply retained a memory of their random 'path', then the results are nothing short of remarkable. But to evolve so quickly it seems like they would have picked up a little bit more information than just 'where they'd been', like length of time spent in a poison/food zone, the 'success' factor of surviving the first round, and most importantly some sort of awareness of the other robots behavior and their respective success factors.

The first thing that popped into my head when I read this thread was computers in cars that 'learn' your driving style and use that information to improve fuel economy. For a computer to 'learn' isn't anything new, but this seems like the robots seriously 'evolved', which could be either exciting or frightening depending on how you look at it.

Thanks for sharing

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
they update each other and run it again. technically it is evolution, but obviously not their bodies, just their minds

Next Stop...
Borg-like interdependance

Wooo Hooo

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
god i hope so lol....

i just want a giant cybernetic body!!

WITH LASERS!

maybe a nuke or 2. you just never know....

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

lasers are cool but i'd just settle for x-ray glasses and a ticket to miami and a europe tour package and a see that girl who plays supergirl in smallville on the streets

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

Very interesting stuffs.

What I want to know is when they're going to change the programming from having "competition" to having "enemies" and watch the whole species devolve into fanatical religious zealots.

Now that would be evolution in it's purest form. LMAO.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
this is actually a few years old, so imagine what they could do now.

software that updates itself is not new, but it shows that evolving systems are really just around the corner.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Your headline said :
Research Show Robots Forming Human-like Societies

Maybe it's just because I'm 'long in the tooth' now and more than a little jaded, but I'm thinking the researchers are looking through the 'wrong end of the telescope' - yet again ...

IMHO, their paper should be entitled -

Research Show Humans Forming Robot-like Societies

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It is quite remarkable that some people have such a hard time accepting human achievements whilst others over-exaggerate the extent of these accomplishments. I think we will all benefit if we look at things a little more objectively and stop allowing our initial emotional reaction to affect out intellectual response.

I find it perfectly acceptable that humans have managed to replicate the basis for a sociobiological system through the means of technology and robotics.

The question concerning me now is as follows; if this is what is occurring in the public sector of science and technology, what is going on behind closed doors?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bonsaisert

The question concerning me now is as follows; if this is what is occurring in the public sector of science and technology, what is going on behind closed doors?

Yeah, imagine. Just image the food and soda we have now, available to the public.

Imagine what kind of soft drinks are behind closed doors!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Me too.

And gulp. Has nobody here read Michael Chrichton's "Prey"? ...or studied the concepts of "emergent behavior"? How 'bout "self-organizing criticality"? For an explanation and 'natural' examples of these extremely important processes, read this:
How Could an Event in 1997 Cause a Pandemic in 2009? What Happened?

Great find and thread Ian. Thanks. S&F.

-sofi

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

This whole thing is a hoax. A program written by a human does not evolve unless the human changes the programming, which is not evolution.

yes ... it must be a hoax ... agreed...CLOSE TOPIC AND MOVE TO HOAX AREA

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illuminatus I

Yeah, imagine. Just image the food and soda we have now, available to the public.

Well i would suspect that behind closed doors they are smart enough not to drink soda as they know it contains aspartane and a number of other harmful agents but i'll leave the imagining to you.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

"even intentionally putting other robots in danger to further their own survival. "

That right there can paint you a clear picture on how they would start "working together" when the high level of ignorance already running rampent in our modern-day public society hits them.

Think about it, once people begin treating them as "sh**ty" more than how we already treat each other sooner or later they are going to feel that they are indeed superior to us and humans to them would either become slaves or wiped out via genocide.

And you can definitely agree there will be many people who will treat them like they are less once these things start filling the roles of peoples jobs and careers, that's seriously crossing the boundaries of human livelihood.

Don't believe it? You're already being predicatively programmed for it.

And I've read the article they even listed this for #10 as the 10th weird & amazing Robot Fact:

10. Robotics expert Henrik Christensen predicts humans will be having sex with robots within four years. If you’re thinking, “Finally, no strings attached…” keep in mind that Hans Moravec, founder of Carnegie Mellon’s Robotics Institute, predicts that robots will emerge as their own species by 2040, with feelings and expectations. In other words, if you don’t call your robot fling the next morning, you’ll be disassembled.

Keyword, disassembled, mean the advanced race of robots you speak of in 2040 will most likely begin committing crimes like your average human being not only that they will most likely develop weapons like ones we see out of stargate which would make ours inferior all we would most likely be able to do is put them in water which I'm sure they either have already been made to already withstand or will be immune to..

So we're really making the I-Robot plot come to life as I'm sure these things will be used in Military Combat for "safety testing" before fully being available to the public and also given the freedom to live in society.

All in all, Be careful what you wish for.

A life with this kind of society is enough to warn us not to let history repeat, considering it's already been something historically created in the studios of Hollywood. (I Robot)

[edit on 19-5-2009 by anarcissus]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Wow, that's crazy. Guess I Robot isn't that far fetched after all. Thanks for sharing this with us.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by freeyourmind1111]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illuminatus I

HA! Well put.

It is frightening to imagine what different militaries might be doing with this kind of tech. Also, how this could be applied to current military tech like unmanned aircraft.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SelfDestruct
It is frightening to imagine what different militaries might be doing with this kind of tech. Also, how this could be applied to current military tech like unmanned aircraft.

Exactly! Check out the other research from this team:
lis.epfl.ch...

They're studying "flocking" behaviour in UAV's! Soon, swarms of flying robots!

They claim it's to be used for better "search and rescue" missions, but I bet the military has other ideas as well. Got to pay the research bills somehow!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
well...how really would these robots think

getRandom Integer

if integer = 1
you can have sex
else if integer = 2
you could eat
else if integer = 3
you could have sex again ...

really...anyone has some kind of article explaining how this robots think? what kind of algoritmns are used ... I would like to see

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Very interesting. Now, if we could eventually build robots that show an affection equal to love that is more than just part of the general programming that certainly would be something. Give them the means to somehow experience the emotion, but don't teach them what to do with it or where it comes from. I'd be very interested to see how a little robot society would react to those kinds of emotions.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This immediately came to my mind when I saw the OP.

www.robocup.org...

Maybe they should give the teams "food" for scoring and "poison" for letting the other team score.

Interesting to think how the robots might 'evolve.'
Equally interesting (to me) is how AI might change the game of soccer from our human perception of the game.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join