It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is American Culture Dead?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I recently spend a number of months traveling around America and to be honest at the end of it I thought it was visually a bit dull. The reason for this seems to be the unadultarated mass roll out of chain stores throughout America. Town after town city after city you just get a rollout of the same shops, gas stations and motels. To name a few Wal Mart, Starbucks, Holiday Inns, McDonalds, KFC, 7/11 the list goes on. In fact after 50 KM or so driving on the freeway it was like was constant deja vu. The only thing that seems to vary are the bars (not inc Hooters). Also there are hardly any independant gas stations or motels throughout America unless you really go out into the sticks.

Does this mean the end of Amercian culture is here?

What impact will this continuing monopolisation have on society?

Do you have a preference for shopping at small independants or is shopping more about convenience for you?

Are you guilty of having helped destroy the culture of small towns?

Do you even care?

[edit on 19-5-2009 by pharaohmoan]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Don't travel the interstates, travel the state routes. The interstate highway system is a "corridor of conformity". Get away from it a few miles, and the commercial diversity you'll see increases tenfold.

Also, consider that the cookie-cutter corporatism you see is the culture of America. The mass-market culture. And I agree that it's often zombie-like. Animated without anima.

There's more to the country than that, though. You just need to get through the plastic-wrap.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pharaohmoan

Yea you were just traveling the mainstream America, you were seeing all the "fancy wrap". Go inside some towns and you will see.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
what specific culture?

the US is made up of groups of immigrants and aborigines.

Each group has its own cultural background.

Descendants would mix their backgrounds with local values and experiences, resulting in new culture. However this is no different than any place on earth.

Culture within the US is relatively young and only spans the lifetime experiences of the living, in the young or old. As a group matures and develops it's cultural values change to suit the society in which it is growing.

In the case of the US, current culture would contain diets, TV, fast foods, cars, consumerism, TV personalities and idols and the coveting of fame and power.

Not much to write home about, so probably for the better if it's swept under the carpet.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yes, I agree with the OP. And I do agree with warrenb, and its not only the US.
After having a big travel through Asia, specifically Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and India, I must say that the western culture is a joke, no matter if you are in the US or in Europe. I used to think that the German culture (I'm coming from Germany) is rich, but after that trip I have been proven wrong. Its the modern western society that literally destroys the culture that took hundreds of years to manifest and replaced it with capitalistic mass culture. In Asia everybody seemed to be part of a living culture, although the westernization has left its marks, sadly enough.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
American culture has never died, it only evolves and adapts

Today, our culture IS those fast food chains and industrial monopolies. That is our culture now.

And this culture is so dominant throughout the world that virtually all nations fall prey to our delicious hamburgers.

And everyone in the world Loves our chocolate too!

Whats the first thing the Russians wanted after the Berlin wall fell ??

Snickers Bars. And we sent them truckloads.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
America's culture has been stolen. I made a thread about it that didn't get noticed, so I'll just post the article here. And then you can all wonder why America doesn't have any culture except celebrity watching, American Idol, fast food, and Hollywood blockbusters.

Link to article: www.magic-city-news.com...

What happened, in short, is that America's traditional culture, which had grown up over generations from our Western, Judeo-Christian roots, was swept aside by an ideology. We know that ideology best as "political correctness" or "multi-culturalism." It really is cultural Marxism, Marxism translated from economic into cultural terms in an effort that goes back not to the 1960s, but to World War I. Incredible as it may seem, just as the old economic Marxism of the Soviet Union has faded away, a new cultural Marxism has become the ruling ideology of America's elites. The No. 1 goal of that cultural Marxism, since its creation, has been the destruction of Western culture and the Christian religion.

...who would replace the working class as the agent of Marxist revolution. In the 1950s, Marcuse answered the question, saying it would be a coalition of students, blacks, feminist women and homosexuals - the core of the student rebellion of the 1960s, and the sacred "victims groups" of political correctness today. Marcuse further took one of political correctness's favorite words, "tolerance," and gave it a new meaning. He defined "liberating tolerance" as tolerance for all ideas and movements coming from the left, and intolerance for all ideas and movements coming from the right.

Link to thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Seems alot has to do with the way young people are raised, a mother bringing their children to mcd's and walmart daily tends to rub off. Myself, I try to hit the fresh vegetable and fruit stands as i cant bring myself to buy walmart produce and around here there are many stands to choose from.. As there are plenty of walmarts to choose from
it's just convienence..

Alot has to do with the way children are raised today, but it seems u get a more diverse selection of many things in a big city, hence America the melting pot....

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
um, big chains and plastic fantastic are american culture, you've been exporting it as such for years. maybe you're just not old enough to remember the celebration of the first mcdonalds in moscow.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
All of the urban areas look the same. For the most part theyre filled with the same sterile and numb people.

A city is a city all over the country. Nothing special or interesting unless you happen to care about architecture and panhandling.

Town to town, though, the people are drastically different every 30 miles or so. A town in Northern NH is nothing at all like a town in mid NH which is nothing at all like a town in Southern NH. The cities are all the same sterile rat traps full of the same worthless people through.

I don't think you saw America. I doubt you even met one American.

And where a person shops doesnt define them or their "culture." Consumer-culture is a different thing entirely.

I'm talking about one family eating squirrel in the same state as a couple who has no idea there are Moose in their backyard. Drastically different people with drastically different outlooks on life. Take the paranoid soccer-mom in San Diego voting to keep rifles out of the hands of ranchers who live just an hours drive East. These people couldnt be more different yet one has political and legislative authority over the life of the other. One cultures paranoia is more important than anothers freedom.

Every 30 miles. Very different people.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
To me all the chain places are American culture now. We created them and shopped there so they grew. I dont really have a preference where I shop. I like little independent stores and I like some of the big ones. If they have what I want I go there no matter who owns it. One of my favorite shops is a little local coffee shop and clothing store. They get plenty of business from me

I do feel bad for smaller businesses because they are disappearing and being replaced with Wal-Marts. I use to like WM but now I cant stand going there. It would be nice to have the so called "mom and pop" stores back where you got good service and help and product!

new topics

top topics

join