It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution

news.sky.com

The search for a direct connection between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom has taken 200 years - but it was presented to the world today at a special news conference in New York.

The discovery of the 95%-complete 'lemur monkey' - dubbed Ida - is described by experts as the "eighth wonder of the world".

They say its impact on the world of palaeontology will be "somewhat like an asteroid falling down to Earth".

Researchers say proof of this transitional species finally confirms Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, and the then radical, outlandish ideas he came up with
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Is it possible this could be true?

The implications are mind-boggling but time will tell if this pans out or not.

It could have earth-shaking consequences for humanity, or it could just be another riddle on the path to find out who we are and where we came from.

How do we deal with this if it turns out to be true?

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Great to finally after these few days to see a picture of Ida and she looks beautiful.

Wow what a great discovery.

Today really is a great day.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
Great to finally after these few days to see a picture of Ida and she looks beautiful.

Wow what a great discovery.

Today really is a great day.

Yeah I'd hit it!

(OK that was in terrible taste LOL!)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The bible beaters and anyone else who refuses to belive that we have evolved will be on this thread like white on rice.

As for me, I know this will pan out and prove that the human species has evolved and will contuie to evolve for millions of years to come

+47 more 
posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It's not a missing link.

Of course those who support Darwin will try to claim that it's a missing link but it's not.

It's not a species in transition, it's a well defined species. Darwin was right that we evolve but this is a product of design not of transition through intermediate steps.

We evolve because of the design that's inherent in whats called Junk DNA. The design reacts to our enviroment and it has nothing to do with Darwin's version of evolution.

Microbiologist James A. Shapiro of the University of Chicago has done extensive research on this very question and has published a number of papers confirming that yes, there is an adaptation mechanism in DNA that is marvelously sophisticated. Mr. Shapiro has discovered that a protozoa, subjected to extreme environmental stress, can splice its own DNA into over 100,000 pieces (!), re-arrange them in a highly systematic fashion, producing new protozoa that inherit a new set of characteristics.

www.randommutation.com...

This shows you don't need mutations in order for a species to gain new characteristics. This can occur on a molecular level when DNA responds to the enviroment.

Darwin said:

"As by this theory, innumerable transitional forms must have existed. Why do we not find them embedded in the crust of the earth? Why is not all nature in confusion instead of being, as we see them, well defined species?" — Charles Darwin

The reason all of nature is not in confusion is because evolution is a product of design. Well defined species appear in the fossil record, not intermediary nonsense.

Darwin's successive steps don't occur. There not small steps but huge leaps because it's inherent in the design.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
In another thread, about this same topic, it was said that this fossil was discovered three years ago in Germany. If this is such a big deal, why wasn't it released three years ago. Also, it if was found in Germany and this is the "missing link" there's some explaining that has to be done because, I thought we came from Africa.

Just though, if it's as big as a lemur, how could that be a missing link anyway? Wouldn't there still be lots that would have to happen for it to become a human? Lemurs are small. This will probably just become one of the countless "transitional forms" and the missing link will go unfound.

If evolution is true, it probably won't be proven to be true until it's actually observed--which is the basis of science anyway.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

That's what I haven't been able to figure out. I always thought the "missing link" was between species like chimpanzees and man.

I might have misunderstood all these years, but I don't understand yet what the scientists are claiming.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just found the link (no pun intended) to the scientists' site:

Link

This has probably been posted before, but in the context of this thread I think it might help.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

i'm the LAST person to stick up for creationists, but I have to laugh when I hear someone claiming to have 'proved' the theory of evolution. This will prove nothing, even if it might add more credence to the evolution argument. Darwinists are full of as much bs as creationists. OK maybe not quite AS much bs, but damn near.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
DOH!

I just noticed the "History Channel" link.

THIS must be the big May 25 program that will "change the world forever", LOL.

Also, in reading it, this sounds like the "link" is not between man and ape, but primate and the rest of the animal world.

Isn't the problem the fundies yell about that they don't believe there is a link between man and ape?

Press Release

Sounds like it may be more "marketing" than "monkey" so far...

[edit on 5/19/09 by emsed1]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Ida was actually found 20 years ago, but it took until 3 years ago for anyone to recognise this fossils importance.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
In another thread, about this same topic, it was said that this fossil was discovered three years ago in Germany. If this is such a big deal, why wasn't it released three years ago. Also, it if was found in Germany and this is the "missing link" there's some explaining that has to be done because, I thought we came from Africa.

According to this article it was discovered 25 years ago.

Ida was unearthed by an amateur fossil-hunter some 25 years ago in Messel pit, an ancient crater lake near Frankfurt, Germany, famous for its fossils.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yep, read about this on link from Drudge report awhile ago. I was blown away. "finger nails like humans and that bone in da foot that we still have etc...

I now wait for all the creationist nut jobs to come out of the word works and the wide eyed "believers from christian sciences studies trying to knock holes in another great advancement in a "great find" by scientist and researchers that "really" are looking for the truth/

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Holy crap! I found a picture of Ida!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a7439153557.jpg[/atsimg]

It is true!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
No space monkey fossils? Then I'm not buying it.

"The missing link in evolution" sounds disingenuous at best because I thought nearly all the links were missing.

The only purportedly true transistional forms that I have heard about was ambulocetus, an cetacean that lived on land and in water some 49 megayears ago and posses a bone in the ears that only cetaceans do.

en.wikipedia.org...

Really, I think evolution is an active process that the organism directly plays a role in perpetuating rather than simple passive adaptation by random changes; the changes are in part actively willed.

Who's the designer? The designed.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Seriously? It's just a monkey. Amazing how life was created by accident in some primordial soup. And everything evolved from an accidental single cell life form. For some reason, we can't recreate life in the most sophisticated science labs the world has ever seen.

Unless someone invents a time machine we will never answer this question. Creation and Evolution both require a lot of faith.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

HMMM though a bit more attractive than your average missing link, be careful..... I've heard that she bites the head off of her mate.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is probably what the History Channel has been going on and on about. May 25, 2009: the day they air a show about lemur monkey fossils. Yawn.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
this is bunk tho lol

this lemur is not close enough imo to be a missing link

watch in a few months they will retract this after other scientists get to criticize it

Q- do these scientists even know what they are talking about anymore?

A- No, they never did.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join