It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this strange stone structure found on a Dorset beach? Pagan/Occult?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Okay I have no idea where to put this one so I put it in Conspiracies in Religion as I thought it may have an occult/pagan theme. Please feel free to move it if you feel the need.

I had the day off today and decided to go for a walk. I live in a small seaside town on the Dorset coast. The beach in my town goes on for about 3km, making its' way towards some quite spectacular limestone cliffs.

So I went to the gym aboyt 12:30 ( the importance of this will become important in a bit). After the gym I decided to turn left and go for a walk along the beach as far as I could without getting wet. About half a kilometre from the end of the beach I was astounded to come across this pile of rocks, just on the beach but far above the high water line.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7f404d469128.jpg[/atsimg]

In this image below you can see the view back along the beach, in the direction of my town.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/25077539a97a.jpg[/atsimg]

It was approximately 3m by 3m, about 1m high. On each corner there was a large stone, and between each corner on each of its' four sides there were smaller stones, larger than most of the main construction stones but smaler than the corner stones.

As you can see the formation is made of chalk stones, which stand out against the pebbles of the beach. But are abundant about 150 m down the beach which you can see in this photo:

Picture below showing corner stones clearly, and view away from town to the limestone cliffs, also in the distance you can see the chalk stone deposits, quite a way away.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de5f19dc19b9.jpg[/atsimg]

So whoever did this had the energy and time to move about 3 to 4 tonnes of stone, 150m on a stoney beach...not easy! That's where my going to the gym comes in! I was exhausted already, and the walk almost did me in!

So anybody out there ever seen anything like it? Do you think it's someone being bored. I might add that the pile was at least 1 km from the main beach and definately out of the way. I also reiterate that I had nothing to do with it whatsoever.
I merely stumbled across it by chance.

I was thinking pagan ritual, druids, even a dog burial? I don't know, any suggestions welcome!

[edit on 19-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Bring a sample of the pile of rocks and one or two from the cliff to a local geologist and see what they say

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
A person or group of people made a psychotronic device. Look at all the ripples it's making within peoples minds, 2ho knows how many people have seen and or heard stories about it.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

It looks like something off the Blair Witch Project.

Weird rock piles or formations may have an occult link of some kind.

It could also be a bunch of bored kids on the beach making a rock castle.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I did think that some kids may have done it, but it rally would have been tough, seriously they had to haul all those stones, 150m over a beach, I built sand castles n stuff, but I would have got real bored of that real quickly lol!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I wonder if it could be simply the tip of a chalk stone deposit?

Next time you're out that way dig a small hole a foot or two away from the bottom edge of the stones and see if you can find chalk stone under the sand.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

Possible but I don't think so, there was nothing like it anywhere near it, no chalk coming out of the cliffs or ground, until the main chalk deposit 150 m away, plus the heigth and regularity of the sides would rule it out.

Trouble is it's so far away I'd never get out there again fo ages! Well until the next beach party anyway!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Could you use something like that for cooking purposes possibly?

Peace

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

There was no sign of burning, but at least if we cannot figure it out I have got a use for it next time I'm there!

I'll bring the Steak if you bring the Beer!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
maybe someone was burried underneath?
but probably just some bored kids with a wagon.

or Andy Goldsworthy.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Looks like you might have to dig a little deeper to find the real answer.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
reply to post by Dr Love

There was no sign of burning, but at least if we cannot figure it out I have got a use for it next time I'm there!

I'll bring the Steak if you bring the Beer!

I'm dead serious. The 3 big rocks around the outside could be used to hold down some kind of covering on a windy day. The covering being used to keep the steam in. I mean, it's on a beach afterall.

Peace

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There are a few artists in the UK who do this sort of thing regularly.

People are always confused by them.

That's all I think it is, an artist had an idea and went with it.

I would get an image as an example, but a search on this subject is really difficult.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Youre right hauling all those rocks in there would require a wheel barrel.

Maybe Dr. Love is on to something with those 3 big rocks on the outside. I didnt notice that the first time.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

piles of stone like you describe were quite often used for ballast in older sailing ships/boats. have a look if theres any old timbers under them

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Just an update, I told one of the old locals about this pile of stones and they had no idea what it could be, but strangely they said that in that area of the beach, in the 40's, four boys from a local boarding school were killed by an unexploded WW2 mine that had washed ashore.

I'd heard this story before, as the school is now a school for children with learning difficulties, some of the students who stay there can only sign, and they often sign to the teachers about four boys that come out at night to play with them!

I swear this is true, probably not connected to the stones but a good ghost story nonetheless!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Are there any valuable mineral deposits in the area ? One of the old ways for setting a corner for a mineral claim was to put a rock pile at each corner some used regular rocks but some tried to use noticeable rocks to show up better most markers were 2' triangle pile .

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
OP: What is this strange stone structure found on a Dorset beach? Pagan/Occult?

Me: My guess is that someone have died there or there has been a sermon connected to someone's death at the sea for instance, it's common among Jews atleast, that each person brings a stone white or otherwise, and place them on either the grave or a certain place near where de person died.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Maybe it has been the anniversary of the accident in which the four school boys died and people have been and layed down a white stone in remembrance of the boys passing

just a thought

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by xsheep

That isn't a bad idea at all, Ill have a look again in local newspapers if there's any mention of it.

new topics

top topics

join