It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under-fire Speaker to step down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Under-fire Speaker to step down

news.bbc.co.uk

Michael Martin is set to announce he will stand down "soon" as Speaker in a Commons statement to MPs at 1430 BST.

Mr Martin has been criticised over his handling of the furore over MPs' expenses and a motion of no confidence in him has been backed by 23 MPs.

It will be the first time in 300 years that a Speaker has effectively been forced out of office.

Sources have told the BBC that Mr Martin also will trigger a by-election by standing down as an MP.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
This claims row really is going deeper and deeper, and rightly so. Some of the claims and expenses have been pathetic, from houses to moat clearing and even sweets and biscuits, it's all been claimed and paid for.

Seems to me though that the more it is looked into, more other rules and regs seem to come into place. Could this be a brilliant way to enforce someone into a posistion or a new set way to go about things?

Either way the Boys club down Westminster is having a major shake up.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit - For punctuation

[edit on 19-5-2009 by The 5th]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by The 5th

When I saw your title, I thought it was Nancy Pelosi stepping down. Now I'm disappointed.

Your speaker sounds about on par with the one we have. The expenses our politicians rack up are pathetic too.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
While i don't condone their attitudes towards the claiming opportunities that have been going on, pathetic may be a little strong. They have been taking advantage of a loophole, and lets face it, most politicians and mps are not morally balanced, it was bound to happen. The question i am now asking is why was this even possible in the first place.

top topics

join