It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Gallop poll: GOP Losses Span Nearly All Demographic Groups

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
All this talk is premature considering how shaky the economy is. Take a look at the recent vote in California, they have had enough with additional taxation regardless of what it is for. Soon, Obama wont be able to play the "hey, it's not my fault I got stuck with this" card, even though Democrats were along for the housing fiasco ride just as much as the Republicans. Soon, people will be blaming the current sitting President and his Party for the economy. If the economy sputters out again, which it very well could once we have spent the (borrowed) stimulus money, the midterm elections will not be nice to the party in control of the Senate and House. People vote with their pocketbooks when it comes down to it's lowest common denominator. I look for 2010 to have the House and Senate split again. Americans don't tend to trust either party with the entire control of the Legislative and Executive branch for long, with good reason.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by Donnie Darko

That is a distinct possiblity since the Democrats have long since ceased being truly liberal... There is Ted Kennedy and Bernie Saunders and the late Paul Wellstone but the rest are moderates... by my standards.

for sure.

for example, the Democratic Party generally supports the death penalty ... which to me is the most un-liberal stance you can have.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I firmly believe that a permanent majority of any party would be a disaster for the nation.

It doesn't matter which party is in power, there is always a majority of politicians that care more about what the corporations want then they care about who voted them into office.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
GOP losses? Okay, while it's true that Limbaugh isn't doing the GOP any favors, it's also true that he is not the sole reason for this bleedout. And neither is GWB.

You honestly want to know what's doing it? I'm going to tell you and I want you to hear me out because this is my God-honest opinion of what's behind all of this. I will give you that Limbaugh and Bush have alienated many Republicans, but let's remember that Carter was just as AWFUL a president as GWB and yet the Democrat party didn't almost disappear. Something is different this time, and I'm going to tell you what it is.

The president is black and he is a Democrat. New black voters are expected by their peers to register as Democrats. Why wouldn't they, right? Any black voters coming out against Obama are shunned and ostracized right now as "racial traitors" even though what drives them may only be disagreement with Obama based on his political policies. Current black voters? Most were Democrats anyway, but what did we see - we saw a Military times poll that showed black soldiers overwhelmingly voting for Obama even though every other racial group in the military overwhelmingly supported the Republican candidate as they have for so many years. We saw it with Colin Powell. He may say he's still a Republican or a "moderate", but he endorsed Obama and probably voted for him. That's a good indication that other already-registered black voters did the same.

New non-black voters who don't side as a Democrat are being labeled by the Democrat machine as "racists" who won't support a black president. And the liberal media did everything in their power to help perpetrate this not by showing you people accusing you of being a racist of you did vote for Obama, but by finding pockets of people, communities, who live out in BFE who openly yell racist remarks against Obama. These communities have ALWAYS existed - this is a racial hatred that has existed for generations - why spotlight it now during this election? Because it is was in the Democrats' best interests and their best bet to villify the Republican party as a bunch of racist hate mongers when the truth is a very small percentage of Republicans actually fall into that category. Moderate Republicans didn't want to be classed in with those racist right-wingers, so they shifted to "Libertarian" and "Moderate", leaving the "Republican" out of the title entirely. And it got Obama elected.

But the effect didn't stop with the election. Democrats, especially black Democrats are most likely continuing to reverse-discriminate against anyone who sides with Republican ideals and label them a racist because it goes counter to Obama. And no one wants be called a racist, so they are shedding the "Republican" party name altogether.

That's my take on it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

That's a crock.

A total crock.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It has far less to do with race than you would like to think.

The GOP is in decline because of their own arrogance, hubris and incompetence.

Besides that it was about time... the political gravity shifts about every 25 to 30 years.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

New non-black voters who don't side as a Democrat are being labeled by the Democrat machine as "racists" who won't support a black president.

Ahem.

You honestly think the GOP is falling apart because black people feel racially pressured to vote for Obama? If you actually looked at the poll you would see that blacks are among the smallest change from 2001 to 2009, so your entire argument falls apart right there.

Instead, the biggest change is among College Grads. The enemy of the Republican party is education, because people who are educated don't buy into ideological/religious conservative bull#.

Seriously, read up on your facts before you come out with "blacks this" and "blacks that".

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Well, I didn't vote for Obama, I voted for McCain, because I thought Obama was going to be too liberal, and I doubted his ability. Since Obama has take office however, I think he has done an excellent job, and I am now a fan.

I do have to agree, it is long over due to end the race guilt game and the general practice of blatant discrimination against whites that many of us wind up dealing with on a regular basis. I have seen many companies here in Silicon Valley that will not hire U.S. born whites, except of course, in management positions. The current liberal twist on racism is pretty contorted.

However, when it comes to Former President Jimmy Carter, most of us liberals consider him to have been a very good, if not a great president. Carter didn't create stagflation, he inherited from Nixon/Ford, along with cradle to grave welfare, and rampant out control crime rates in our Nixon era grown ghettos. Carter's policies are what ended double digit inflation. If Carter had won in 1980, the world would be a far better place.

The only reason Carter lost in the 1980 election is because Reagan/Bush I cut a dirty underhanded deal with the Iranians to hold onto the U.S. hostages until after the election, in what in my opinion was probably the most despicable act in the history of U.S. politics. Within weeks of Reagan taking office arms began flowing into Iran. Thus the rise of the global terrorist network began, brought to you by Reagan/Bush. Most liberals to this day consider Reagan to be one of the worst presidents in U.S. history.

www.truthout.org...

But above all, surely, a president should be judged not by his personal life or his "passionate convictions," but by what his administration actually does. That sort of reality does not loom large for Reagan's admirers, and it's important to recall a few major themes of the 1980s. Ronald Reagan's presidential legacy included big tax cuts for the rich and record budget deficits; after denouncing the much smaller deficits of previous administrations in his first inaugural address, Reagan in a few years tripled America's national debt. His administration distorted the Russian threat, and pushed preparations for a "winnable" nuclear war that could cost "only" a few million US lives. He slashed the social safety net, and introduced deregulation leading to the savings and loan meltdown and contributing to the current crisis. He promoted extreme anti-environmental policies and appointments, gave us the Iran-Contra scandal, advanced costly fantasies of a perfect missile defense, and a great deal more.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you, Carter was a horrible President, the things you quote WERE his own problems. He weakened us around the globe, politically, economically and militarily. Don't know how that translates to being a great President. About the only thing good he did was Camp David and that was because of Sadat, Carter was just in the right place at the right time for Sadat's brave move.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Having lived through the Carter years I have to say that like most presidents he has a mixed record... 1976 was my first presidential election and in 1980 I voted for John Anderson, the Libeterian candidate.

The oil embargo of 1972 did not effect him but the one in 79 certainly did and the country economically was sliding throughout the 70's so no the recession and inflation were not his fault. The oil shortage is widely considered a result of the price controls put into place by Nixon and Ford. And it was those shortages more than anything that caused said recession and inflation.

As for the GOP I do not see them disappearing as a party but I do see them fracturing in two, maybe three component parts... especially if they do badly next year, and most certainly if Obama wins in 2012.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

The problems I quote were created before Carter became president. This is a historical fact. If you would like me to present evidence, I would be more than happy to. As far as our global image during the Carter years, that was all a result of the Vietnam war, and once again, the fault of Nixon.

Buy yourself a clue and look up the Monroe Doctrine.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Just come out and admit that our elections are vaudeville routines, that The People haven't actually elected a president since the early 19th Century, admit that the country isn't polarized along lines of color nor faith nor political affiliation, and admit that today there is NO DIFFERENCE between the Republicans and Democrats. They're completely interchangeable, equally detestable, equally corrupt, and any prolonged discussion of party differentiation is pure disinformation.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
As far as our global image during the Carter years, that was all a result of the Vietnam war, and once again, the fault of Nixon. Buy yourself a clue and look up the Monroe Doctrine.

Nixon. The guy who got us out of Vietnam. It's Nixon's fault that the USA sacrificed over 58,000 lives in Vietnam??

Poet, buy yourself a history book. JFK and LBJ escalated Vietnam into the meat grinder that killed over 58,000 American soldiers. Nixon came in at the end to clean up the mess and get us out of there. Later, a couple of journalists hung him for doing what all presidents did and still do. Yay.

Just try chanting this over and over: "The Democrats made Vietnam a bloodbath, and a Republican president got us out."

I'm not a Republican nor a Democrat. But I think the record should be kept straight on Vietnam.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/21/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

You have no idea what you are talking about...

Nixon was elected in 68 and the war didn't finally end until 75 and while yes he finally managed to negotiate a withdrawal for us (that did not end the war) he severely escalated it first.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
You have no idea what you are talking about... Nixon was elected in 68 and the war didn't finally end until 75 and while yes he finally managed to negotiate a withdrawal for us (that did not end the war) he severely escalated it first.

On the contrary, it is you who are without clue...

For your consideration, I give you The National Archives

Don't be frightened. This is where we keep our nation's facts. Now, if you will be so kind as to avail yourself of that link I provided, I believe you will find what you seriously need near the bottom of the archives page. It is a table displaying number of deaths per year in Vietnam, should look something like this:

You will note that, first under the JFK administration and the subsequent LBJ administration, the death toll in Vietnam cranks up to a massive 16000+ count per annum by the end of 1968. However, Richard Nixon was elected in November of 1968 and did not assume the office of president until January of 1969.

Ahhhhhhh

What we see in the table following the election of Richard Nixon is a steady, almost mirror-image decline in casualties until he pulled out the last troops in 74. The remainder of the casualties in the table represent confirmed deaths of missing-in-action soldiers up to 1998.

Now, what this table tells us is that the Democrat administrations were feeding our soldiers to the meat grinder, increasing every year until Nixon was elected, whereupon the deaths diminished as Nixon disentangled the mess left for him by the Democrat administrations.

Again, I am not Republican nor Democrat. I speak only the facts, as exhibited courtesy of our National Archives. Good day.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/21/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

You do not have to be so sarcastic.

Nixon and Kissinger most certainly did escalate the war and expanded it illegally into Laos and Cambodia.

I was coming of age during that time and us kids hung on every development, since after all we were either eligible or were soon to be eligible for the draft. It was one of our potential futures.

And by the way... it was Eisenhower who first got us into Vietnam... and I do know that Kennedy and Johnson got us in far deeper but Nixon and Kissinger expanded it.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

We are getting off topic, Carter did a lot of things on his own that hurt this country. He made bad problems worse in some instances, not everything was his fault, but neither is he blameless.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Ahem.

You honestly think the GOP is falling apart because black people feel racially pressured to vote for Obama? If you actually looked at the poll you would see that blacks are among the smallest change from 2001 to 2009, so your entire argument falls apart right there.

If you re-read what I said, I do think black voters are being pressured to vote black, in fact I KNOW they are. But I also said that non-black voters who find that their political beliefs align with the Republican party are retreating from the GOP because they don't want the label "Republican" because Democrats are pushing that if you are against Obama today you ARE A RACIST and/or a HATEMONGER. Seriously, who wants to be labeled that?

Instead, the biggest change is among College Grads. The enemy of the Republican party is education, because people who are educated don't buy into ideological/religious conservative bull#.

College graduates aren't being educated about anything - they're getting ONE SIDE of the political spectrum drilled into them daily by college professors who tend to be LIBERAL minded.

And as for core conservative values being bull#? So you think free markets, lower taxes, smaller government is bull#? Those are core conservative values. You want an example of BULL# SIR? Let's look at what OBAMA and LIBERAL/DEMOCRAT ideals and values has managed to accomplish just during the first 100 days of this man's presidency:

(If you're really astute you may even recognize where I pulled these facts from)

1. The Federal government is now in the banking business

2. The Federal government now makes cars

3. Our country has amassed debts under Obama to the tune of TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS that will take generations to repay

4. Under Obama, America is increasingly in debt to foreign countries from China to the Middle East

5. Obama wants to now cap and tax every American into paying higher utility taxes

6. Obama and his Democratic Congress now want to tax soft drinks

7. Obama and Democratic Congress have enforced an extra tax on tobacco. Smokers, how are you enjoying that?

8. Obama and Democrat leaders now want a brand new tax on health care benefits and are devising a plan to give federal government bureaucrats control over our health care system

9. Obama backs a plan that takes away a basic right of every American union worker to cast a private ballot

10. Obama has, for the first time in our nation's history, politicized the U.S. census process by putting political appointees in the White House in charge and trying to put in a corrupt, fraudulent organization to run it

11. Democrats in Congress are flirting with an attempt to squelch the basic freedom of speech on our nations airwaves (Revival of the Fairness Doctrine).

12. Obama's attorney general is trying to use Mexican drug gang wars as a reason to advocate a new gun ban laws in America, contrary to the second Constitutional Amendment

13. Obama's administration (Janet Napolitano) has PUBLICLY DISPARAGED our war heroes and veterans by suggesting that they are a THREAT to our safety, when the truth is they are the REASON why we are safe

14. Obama is now infighting with Congress over closing Guantanamo. He seems not to care whether the detainees are released into the United States or not, when members of the Democratic Congress are clearly and rightfully concerned

15. Obama's administration has successfully legislated to take away more defendants' rights in criminal cases

16. In spite of Obama's promises to "talk" to Iran, Iran continues to develop missiles that reach further and improve their nuclear capabilities

So I ask you again, sir ... how are your ENLIGHTENED and EDUCATED liberal/Democratic values doing this country right now? There is absolutely NO WAY you can blame any of these failures on the GOP this time because you have a Democratic majority in Congress.

Seriously, read up on your facts before you come out with "blacks this" and "blacks that".

Seriously, before you debate me, go back and read AND UNDERSTAND what I wrote before you offer an opinion. And you would do best not to make such sensationalist claims like the GOP ideal system is bull#.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Sarcasm seems to be the only way to reach you, Grover.

There is one fact that is inevitable in all of this, one that not even you should be able to dispute:

History will remember that the GOP did everything in its power to keep this country safe, while it also will remember that the Democrats did everything in their power to make the world like us. But humans are two-faced and madmen are unpredictable.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

But I also said that non-black voters who find that their political beliefs align with the Republican party are retreating from the GOP because they don't want the label "Republican" because Democrats are pushing that if you are against Obama today you ARE A RACIST and/or a HATEMONGER.

It's interesting that you say this. Back in '07, I had to go and get a replacement driver's license because I lost mine. In Florida, where I'm from, you can register to vote, change party affiliation, and all that jazz at the DMV. The clerk asked me what party I wanted to be registered in, and I say, "You can keep me as a Republican." I'm pretty sure that if she could've shot lasers out of her eyes, I would've been vaporized and died in the DMV--which would be a horible way to go. I'm pretty sure I got that look because of the label that Republicans have.

I remember in high school, when I first registered to vote, my peers started to look at me in a lesser light when I registered Republican and voted for GWB, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join