It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Gallop poll: GOP Losses Span Nearly All Demographic Groups

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

New Gallop poll: GOP Losses Span Nearly All Demographic Groups

www.gallup.com

The decline in Republican Party affiliation among Americans in recent years is well documented, but a Gallup analysis now shows that this movement away from the GOP has occurred among nearly every major demographic subgroup. Since the first year of George W. Bush's presidency in 2001, the Republican Party has maintained its support only among frequent churchgoers, with conservatives and senior citizens showing minimal decline.

So far in 2009, aggregated Gallup Poll data show the divide on leaned party identification is 53% Democratic and 39% Republican -- a marked change from 2001, when the parties were evenly matched, according to an average of all of that year's Gallup Polls. That represents a loss of five points for the Republicans and a gain of eight points for the Democrats.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
While I am a dyed in the wool liberal but Democrat by default (I'd be a Green if they had a snowballs chance in hell and stopped running unelectable candidates) I firmly believe that a permanent majority of any party would be a disaster for the nation.

I am not so much anti-Republican as opposed to the hard right extremists who have hijacked the GOP...

And based on, what is now a consistent pattern in the polls, it seems most voters feel the same.

The GOP has entered a deep decline and in my humble opinion headed towards fracture... the hard right as represented by Cheney, Limbaugh and company are damned and determined to maintain a stranglehold on the party... yet the right wing is a minority even within the GOP... so unless they become more willing to represent the moderates (and more liberal) members of the party... as opposed to just the right, their decline and fall seems all but certain.

www.gallup.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Ive said it once and Ill say it again the fact that the bloated drug soaked Limbugh is the defact head of the party of Lincoln, Goldwater, and Reagan is simply appalling.

The hard core right has systematically alienated the moderates and now they are paying the price.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I agree wholeheartedly... and then when you have cheney the dick's non stop attacks (something I haven't witnessed in my 35 years of political life... such has traditionally been considered in bad taste) and that moron they chose as the chairman of the GOP simply because he was black... and time after time they have proved they are totally clueless.

Like here in Va. The attn. general lead the charge to reject the federal extension of unemployment and is running for Governor... this in a state where unemployment in certain parts is chronic and in the double digits.... and his reason why was that it would cause a pennies on the dollar increase in unemployment insurance tax for employers.

He gave the Democrats the perfect foil to use against him. If he wins it will only be because we have had two Democratic governors in a row.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
It's very interesting the GOP is losing members yet the polls are showing increased support for core conservative beliefs/values. I suspect all the GOP needs is a younger fresher face (ala BHO) to step up to the plate and attract people back to the party.

Gallup Poll - "More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time".

PEW - Public Takes Conservative Turn on Gun Control, Abortion.

Rasmussen Poll - "75% Believe Constitution Guarantees Right To Own a Gun".

Rassmussen - "40% would vote for their district's Republican while 39% would choose the Democrat".

Rasmussen - Over 60% of voters view Nancy Pelosi unfavorably. (It's in a video hopefully the link is ok). Yet she is one of the main Democratic mouth pieces.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The Republican Party will become stronger because of this. Real Conservatives are getting tired of the pansy moderates ruining this party.

Democrats are not getting stronger, they are not picking up Republican defectors. These defectors are going Independent, in hopes of rejoining a true Conservative Republican party one day. The Republicans have a lot of work to do. Getting rid of Michael Steele, John McCain, Lindsey Graham, the bopsy twins from Maine, and many others will be a great start. The more conservative the party gets the stronger it will be in the future.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
the fact that the bloated drug soaked Limbugh is the defact head of the party of Lincoln, ...

Story Here

That 'bloated drug soaked Limbugh' has a higher approval rating then Democrat Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Limbugh is at 19% and Pelosi is at 18%.

As for the GOP having losses .. yep. And in 2012 the dems will also have losses. I predict major gains by third parties in 2012 as more and more Americans yell 'vote them ALL out!'

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thats hardly high praise eh? The bottom line is this: as I predicted in an OP/ED a few years ago on ATSNN, the relentless drive to the right by the hard core religious right may actually force the creation of a viable third party made up of moderatates from both sides.

Aside from that, I think the GOP for the time being will be confined to a few hard core states and whatever candidate Rush anoints.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Thats hardly high praise eh?

I know .. that's why I was laughing so hard!

Both Pelosi and Rush are bottom feeders.
Approval ratings of 18 and 19 percent!
Those are worse then Bush43 at his lowest!

force the creation of a viable third party made up of moderatates from both sides.

For once we are in complete agreement! I fully believe that third parties will show remarkable vote totals in 2012. Moderate republicans and moderate democrats will come together and scream 'vote them all out'. A cleaning of house in DC!

(well .. perhaps it's just a pipe dream ... but that's what I see could happen)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Vote None of the Above on the next election!

Frankly in the next election if the people haven't already decided that the two party system just doesn't work they really need to pull their collective heads out of their rectums.

Here is a simple and direct way to tell if a candidate doesn't cut the mustard.

Call them.

If you can't get them on the phone to talk to you person to person they aren't worth your vote.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
The Republican Party will become stronger because of this. Real Conservatives are getting tired of the pansy moderates ruining this party.

Democrats are not getting stronger, they are not picking up Republican defectors. These defectors are going Independent, in hopes of rejoining a true Conservative Republican party one day. The Republicans have a lot of work to do. Getting rid of Michael Steele, John McCain, Lindsey Graham, the bopsy twins from Maine, and many others will be a great start. The more conservative the party gets the stronger it will be in the future.

I think are confusing ideologically pure Christian theocratic leanings with "conservativism".
So do you want a lock step (ala Soviet communist) ideology that nevers questions a thing? That is NOT conservatism, for the love of god the way you state this you want an Army not a party.
The roots of conservatism are not "pure". Nothing real is.

I am with Grover on this one. I too am a liberal but without a viable second party the country will suffer. I don't want Libs or RR's version of Conservatives running this country without any accountablity. But the further the "Republicans" go to the right the more people they will lose. I am pretty sure that the current definition of conservative in the Republican core would drum Goldwater out of the party, he was pro-choice AND did not care about gays in the miltary (he said "you don't have to be straight to shoot straight"). I mean come on.. is Goldwater a liberal or has the "conservative" movement gone goofy? P.S. I know the answer to this.

Obs out

[edit on 19-5-2009 by observer]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It all depends on what the economy looks like next year. If the economy is improving, democrats will gain seats, if the economy is still in bad shape, it could be a very good year for third party candidates. However, I think it will be a long time before the GOP recovers, if ever.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
After 12 years GOP control of congress and 8 years of the bush minor administration people have come to see that the current leadership of the GOP simply does not represent the average working person and that it is controlled by ideological extremists...

The current GOP would view Nixon as too liberal for their tastes... and attitudes like RRconservatives are not going to win any converts.

If they follow RRconservative and mush loosebowels lead... with 39% viewing themselves as Republicans... if you force out your moderates and liberals, you are consigning your party to the dust bin just to hold onto a failed ideology. Because no matter how you cut it with only 39% self described GOP members out there, ya just don't have a lot to work with... and certainly not enough to win a national election with just the hard right.

As for Nancy Pelosi... I don't know anyone who votes one way or the other based on who is speaker of the house... to grouse about here is all smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that the party has run out of ideas that were... lets face it, wrong to begin with.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Democrats are not getting stronger, they are not picking up Republican defectors. These defectors are going Independent, in hopes of rejoining a true Conservative Republican party one day.

Did you click on the original link at all?

33% Democratic
    34% Independent
    32% Republican

36% Democratic +3
    37% Independent +3
    27% Republican -5

The numbers show the Republican defectors being almost evenly split between Independent and Democratic party registrations.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
For some perspective what makes up a "far-right" or "extreme-right" individual?

Since apparently the republican party is filled with these people solid examples of what constitutes "far-right" shouldnt be hard to come by but I'm confused as to what "far-right" is.

I've heard non-interventionism called a "far-right" ideal and limited government a "far-right" ideal while simultaneously labeling faith-based legislators as "far-right." How are people using government to impose religious values the same as those pushing for a pullback of the fed? Both can't be "far-right" can they?

The term "far-right" doesnt seem to mean any damn thing except what whoevers open mouth wants it to mean when it's convenient to mean what he wants it to mean.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think both these new *modern* types of faux liberals and conservative movements are for the most part neither conservative or liberal.I actually think the true conservatives and liberals have far more in common than most people think.Basically the democrats are not liberal and the republicans are not conservative imo.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

You have a very valid argument there and I cannot disagree with it... I would add this... that the movement conservatives that have hijacked the GOP are not conservatives at all but are instead economic nihilists who are taking the rank and file for a ride.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Did you click on the original link at all?

33% Democratic
    34% Independent
    32% Republican

36% Democratic +3
    37% Independent +3
    27% Republican -5

The numbers show the Republican defectors being almost evenly split between Independent and Democratic party registrations.

Makes sense since Obama brought in alot of new registered voters to the Democrats....I'm sure a majority where black, excited about the 1st half black Presidential candidate. Do you think these people are going to turn out for someone like algore or Joe Biden? Not going to happen.

This is not a net sum game...these are statistics of an ever growing voter base. It is also a sign that Republicans are losing their Conservative base because of wishy-washy politics.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I couldn't agree more, the party is eating itself alive, thanks to Limbaugh etc...

The far right is a shrinking minority, on the other hand most Americans are pretty fiscally conservative. And this country needs an opposition party to help keep spending in check if nothing else.

The GOP could be a majority party easily, but over the last decade or so, they've drifted so far to the right that they're wandering off the map.

There are glimmers of hope though, for one thing there is Meghan McCain, who has been turning a lot of heads, and speaking out as a moderate voice in the party...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

There are glimmers of hope though, for one thing there is Meghan McCain, who has been turning a lot of heads, and speaking out as a moderate voice in the party...

Meghan McCain?
Her dad was the moderate voice of the party and he got crushed in the last election. Does anyone honestly think if we ran someone more moderate than McCain that we would have a chance in 2012? It's impossible....because there is no one more moderate than McCain. The only answer is to go more conservative....it's common sense!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join