It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Baffled by Mysterious Light in Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Astronomers Baffled by Mysterious Light in Sky

www.foxnews.com

It's not a supernova. Nor is it a galaxy, or a black hole.

But they noticed something else — a point of light where there hadn't been one before.

Over the next three months, the object got brighter and brighter until it was 120 times its initial luminosity.

Then it slowly got dimmer again, at about the same rate, until by the end of the year it was gone.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Anyone has more info into what this object maybe? Very wierd, first time heard of it. Explosion? Intillegent? Scientists have no idea into what it might be.

Astronomers led by U.C. Berkeley astrophysics grad student Kyle Barbary put the light coming from it through a mass spectrometer to see what it was made of — but couldn't get signatures for any known elements.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
No idea but it exactly describes my experience with one of those orange lights in the field I saw as a child. Something that turned visible expanded then contracted and went off then cycled the effect until I got bored and went to bed. It either became visible and then became invisible but was still there or was introduced into this plan then left again. Perhaps a larger scale version of the same phenomenon?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Wow! Nice find! I find this pretty fascinating. I wonder if we'll ever find out what it was...Thanks for posting it!

I gave you a S & F

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Main steps of measuring with a mass spectrometer Mass spectrometry (MS) is an analytical technique for the determination of the elemental composition of a sample or molecule. It is also used for elucidating the chemical structures of molecules, such as peptides and other chemical compounds. The MS principle consists of ionizing chemical compounds to generate charged molecules or molecule fragments and measurement of their mass-to-charge ratios.

AH, how do you put light into a mass spec for testing?

None the less, very interesting article

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The sheet is becoming looser. Reality's fabric is slipping. We're knowing too much about the world around us and in space that soon reality won't exist.

[edit on 19/5/09 by Nventual]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

It seems that Astronomers are still baffled as to what SCP 06F6 is but they are still investigating and coming up with possible explanations and causes.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LenGXV6

That's a great explanation of how you work with chemicals 'in-hand'. However, the first part of the MS system ionizes the chemical and the ionized light is read by the device. In the end, it's an optical device. When measuring celestial bodies, the ionizationpart is already done. They're just measuring the light. A differnt device than the one sitting on the floor of an analytical lab but the same principal nonetheless.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Could it be light coming from a point in time in which we could not see earlier in the universe now slowly starting to reveal itself? I'm sorry if I worded my statement funny, but in a sense what I am trying to say is; could it just be a point coming as/through "Look back time"?

After reading a bit more in to the passages of the article and disregarding the statement above (though not entirely). It couldn't be two neutron stars colliding? Or the merger of something else?

Either way whatever it is; it sure has me scratching my head trying to find out what it might be. Oh and before I forget the reason I haven't disregarded the first yet is due to the light bending of dark matter (or is it dark energy? I think it's dark matter...) could it possibly be light from something else, being bent around and focused at us?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Don't worry people , NASA wil say its a balloon that slipped its moorings and floated off into space.

Astronomers are wrong, there is nothing out in space , go back to sleep.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Bearing in mind the very brief time, cosmologically speaking, we have been studying the universe to any great extent, this could be a very normal, regular occuring phenomonon.

I am certain that as our knowledge increases it will only be a matter of time before we understand fully what has happened here and that there will be a perfectly logical and scientifically proven explanantion.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Maybe we should send the Enterprise to investigate. I like these mysteries, it's one of the pleasures of life. It shows how humanity is in its infancy when it comes to matters of the univers S+F

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This article is pretty out of date, definitely not breaking news.

Wish it was, but the light is already gone, because it first appeared in 2006, and this article was written in 2008.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

More info

anything not showing up on a mass spectrometer or registering but registering nothing known wouldn't be light or matter.

That is the wierd thing, if it is not matter then what is it? That is the mystery. The only thing scientists know about this is that "it's no closer to Earth than 130 light-years away — and no further than 11 billion light-years away".

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LenGXV6

Maybe they meant interferometer?

Interferometry is the technique of diagnosing the properties of two or more lasers or waves by studying the pattern of interference created by their superposition. The instrument used to interfere the waves together is called an interferometer. Interferometry is an important investigative technique in the fields of astronomy, fiber optics, engineering metrology, optical metrology, oceanography, seismology, quantum mechanics, plasma physics, and remote sensing.

en.wikipedia.org...
Maybe the light source was a hypernova, sure sounds like a type of nova.

Hypernova (pl. hypernovae) refers to an exceptionally large star that collapses at the end of its lifespan—for example, a collapsar, or a large supernova. Until the 1990s, it referred specifically to an explosion with an energy of over 100 supernovae (1046 joules); such explosions were proposed to explain the origin of exceptionally bright gamma ray bursts. An extensive sky search found several apparent hypernova remnants, but too few to support the hypothesis.[2]

After the 1990s, the term came to be used to describe the supernovae of the most massive stars, the hypergiants, which have masses from 100 to 150 times that of the Sun. Decaying 56Ni, a short-lived isotope of nickel, is believed to provide much of a hypernova's light.[3]

The radiation output of a nearby hypernova could cause serious harm to Earth, but no hypergiants have been located near Earth.[4] It is conjectured that a hypernova may have caused a mass extinction on Earth 440 million years ago.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

Just a thought though.

new topics

top topics

join