It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannibal Humans Ate Neanderthals Into Extinction

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
That strongly implies humans were living there and butchered a neanderthal.

No it doesn't.

It could just as easily imply that neanderthals were living there and butchered a neanderthal.

You know that.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Just imagine a serene village full of neanderthals being social enjoying their families and friends and all of the sudden these savage humans run out of a forest, butcher and eat everyone. Now I see where our evil savage side comes from

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi
Just imagine a serene village full of neanderthals ....

You'd have to 'imagine' such a thing wouldn't you...

When did Neanderthals start farming?

*It wasn't until the advent of farming that humans began to settle down into villages, and I have yet to read of any Neanderthal Farms or villages having been discovered.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Maybe there was a human/Neanderthal war. Maybe the Neanderthal ate humans, too. It could have been a ritual to eat the captured enemy. Just like in a few more recent human cultures. We don't know exactly what was going on or who was the aggressor. Just because they went extinct, does not mean they were any less aggressive than us or that we were the cause of it.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is so unfair! Posting a thread like this right before breakfast...

Homer Simpson...mmmm cave man.

They say it tastes just like cave man!

Many cultures have been canibals. Though the Hebrews and Muslims say it is dietary that they don't eat pork I suspect it might have to do with the claims from Central American Indians after converting that pork tastes the most similiar to human flesh.

When the Aztecs and the like sacrificed a person by cutting out their heart they would then roll the body down the steps into the crowd where the masses would sieze upon it and throw another body on the bar-b-que and feast on them.

Lets not forget the classic movie "Soilant Green" either.

Or that communion is the mock practice of eating Christ's flesh.

Or that I am still hungry for breakfast!

Dr. Lecter, Dr. Lecter you have a call on line 3...oops sorry I have to go!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Spartannic

woah

haha all i can say is what's for dessert?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I hate to break it to any archaeologists, but regardless of the animal, there just isn't much meat ON A JAW!

No one would spend much time cutting on a jaw for the purposes of serving up that delicacy.

I think the marks may be for other purposes.

Yeah. When we used to slaughter a cow, the jaw was the first thing we looked forward to.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Obviously its hard to say whether this was a systematic approach or simply tribal feuds which resulted in war..which resulted in alot of dead bodies, which in turn meant some free meat which given those times and circumstances would be a no-brainer imo when it comes to survival and getting a nice full belly of food.Cat exactly blame them for doing whats rational.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Good point Dooper. We can only speculate what they were doing with the jaw. I'm sure we ate some of them at some point and I am sure they also ate some of us.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Ok for all those being whiny thinking this is disgusting think about it properly...

Either starve and die in the harsh coldness of Europe in the winter or eat the recently dead or ones you just killed? i know what i would do...

it's just meat..when the person is dead it's just meat you work on them like any other kind of meat..

oh and HERE TO END ALL WHINY COMMENTS:

www.jaceanderson.com...

EDIT: drain the blood, take out the organs and you got a nice plump "chicken" to cook over a roasted fire!

stuff like that doesnt bother me in the slightest some people just haven't got the stomach for it, it seems.

back then it was:

Male=hunter/gatherer/provider/protector
Female= cook/"baby machine"

so it make sense for the male to go out in a war party kill a bunch of cave men celebrate the victory with a fire and the bodies to eat, then return home and have some "sexy time" ith his woman.

so GO GO MODERN HUMANS!

tbh mankind hasn't really changed, just more intelligent,more advanced and got set morals but the instincts are still there and are easily "awoken"

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hmm. I know that there are drawings of all kinds of prey in pre-historic man's cave. Like bulls, mammoths,giraffes and such. Can anyone point me to neanderthal hunt picture? I mean - bone as a proof? From one location?
Also, fox chose catchy but wrong .line. Because in the article itself:

"This does not prove we systematically eradicated the Neanderthals or that we regularly ate their flesh," Chris Stringer of London's Natural History Museum told the Guardian.

I fear that even now,not speaking about then, we have cannibalism in Human society. So one bone. One cave. Shocking discovery.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This isn't an area of interest as I find the thought of cannibalism troubling.

But I've been around and spoken with people on a lot of levels in a lot of places.

There is a cultural taboo on it almost universally.

But don't kid yourself. When there's no food and no alternative there's no resistance to eating human flesh.

Reportedly it's a bit sweet.

Less and less incidence of it as the years roll on.

It's not a terrible thing on the part of those who have done it,
just disturbing to our sheltered sensibilities.

Mike

[edit on 19-5-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
the assertions of the article are absolutely credulous

just because you uncover one case of cannibalism, does not mean that ALL cases were for sure Cannibalism!

so how will you like it when some genius scientist in 15,000 years digs up our bodies, and finds jeffery dhamer and then claims that all people during this age were cannibals because they have evidence of 1 of us doing it?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
It could just as easily imply that neanderthals were living there and butchered a neanderthal.

Well lets see...there are MANY MANY documented cases of humans eating chimps, apes, small monkeys, oh AND PLENTY OF OTHER humans etc...

Can you come up with any documented cases of NEANDERTHALS eating other Neanderthals?

I don't get what your point is, that humans were to nice to do such a thing? LOL. There is no doubt that we have done PLENTY of it.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I wonder what Neanderthal tastes like. I hope it didnt taste like chicken, because everything else does. MMM Barbequed rack of Neanderthal ribs.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
From source:

Chris Stringer of London's Natural History Museum told the Guardian. "But it does add to the evidence that competition from modern humans probably contributed to Neanderthal extinction."

The popular writer Jared Diamond discussed this in Guns, Germs and Steel and also has a new book. He tackles the "what made groups of people successful" issue.

In a nutshell, Neandrathal was here longer than modern man types, we were a relative new comer. Neandrathals appeared to be more docile, less aggressive. The evidence for this is that a lot of animal extinctions happened about the time of our arrival. For example, there existed large relatively docile animal species on the Australian land mass (then joined to New Guinea. These large animals would have served man well had they been domesticated, however, the humans hunted them to extinction. Neandrathals didn't last long after we arrived either. To what extent we contributed to their demise is unknown.

How did mankind made the jump from hunter gatherers to the sedentary, more civilized lifestyle? That involved being able to domesticate large animals but before that developing species of grain harvestable in quantities.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spartannic

So finnaly they unveil that we the humans not only have wiped out the only competitor for the rule of this wonderfull planet , but that we have eaten them to?? It seems the more we learn about or selfs the less i like it.

Maybe one of the more educated members can explain to me how cutmarks proves that we have eaten something? And also why would we eat other humanoids if plenty of wildlife must been there?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Food could have been scarce and they resorted to eating them .

seems like a good explanation right?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
So, now, just when we were supposed to think so highly of ourselves as a species, "well, we endured because they couldn't out-think us", it turns out to be that they simply couldn't out-run us?
I'm laughing like hell at this.
I think somebody was having a slow news day.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
From source:

Chris Stringer of London's Natural History Museum told the Guardian. "But it does add to the evidence that competition from modern humans probably contributed to Neanderthal extinction."

The popular writer Jared Diamond discussed this in Guns, Germs and Steel and also has a new book. He tackles the "what made groups of people successful" issue.

In a nutshell, Neandrathal was here longer than modern man types, we were a relative new comer. Neandrathals appeared to be more docile, less aggressive. The evidence for this is that a lot of animal extinctions happened about the time of our arrival. For example, there existed large relatively docile animal species on the Australian land mass (then joined to New Guinea. These large animals would have served man well had they been domesticated, however, the humans hunted them to extinction. Neandrathals didn't last long after we arrived either. To what extent we contributed to their demise is unknown.

How did mankind made the jump from hunter gatherers to the sedentary, more civilized lifestyle? That involved being able to domesticate large animals but before that developing species of grain harvestable in quantities.

thx for the reply

Jup ur right on the Neanderthaler being here alot longer then humans. Evidence shows us that they have been in Europe for more then 450000 years predating the modern human about 300000 years. But i have to disagree with the idea presented of the neanderthaler being less agressive. Thats a theory who's completely unproven and quite easy to explain. Humans where alot more able to coordinate their attacks on preys the Neanderthaler could not outsmart. As far as i know the modern Human introduced "ranged" weapons into EU giving us the upper hand against alot of animals. So the extincion of alot of species can be credited to those ranged weapons and have nothing to do with the agression of our species. I'm pretty sure if the neanderthaler had the abilty to hunt the animals you claim to be extinct by our hand he would have done it to for the sake of survival.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There has NEVER been any evidence that modern man and neanderthal where at war with each other!

ONE jawbone amounts to nothing!

That would be like if an alien species came across the remains of the Donner party and concluded that all the humans ate each other!

[edit on 19-5-2009 by bismarcksea]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join