It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard 'the Hum'?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

okay......I'll pipe in on your defense....

I hear that hum quite often. and well, I have used it to meditate, and to tell ya truthfully, can find somethimes up to three or four different hums in that hum.....we all have a unique vibration and thus a unique "hum"...I am often contacted by non physical beings for lack of a different phrase and well, use the hums to help me indentify just who or what in in my area, and weather or not I really want to strike up a conversation with them, or well.....call on another for a little protection.

our world is full of matter all vibrating to it's own tune, there are "hums" all around if you just want to take to the time to listen.

oh, you can track down different pain signals in that pain your feeling, and separate them in much the same way, sometimes it makes the pain more manageble...but, well, you have to be willing to dive into the pain to do it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
reply to post by booda

Cant get you co-ordinates 'cos I'm at work but I'm in Stoke-on-Trent, England if you want to stick that on?

If this mapping thing end up in the shape of a pentagram across the map or something I'll seriously lose my marbles!

hahaha lol - probably be the shape of Nibiru I think

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Thank you, interesting.

I also focus on it to meditate/OBE.

It also changes in tone, in and out in and out, can't explain..

[edit on 20-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by underground panther in th

The earthquake thing is very interesting, a lot of posters have mentioned about the seeing strange things when their eyes are closed too, I knew I wasn't the only one!

There's a woman I work with that gets headaches upto a few hours before we have thunderstorms which is obviously to do with atmospheric pressure so I think certain people may be more susceptible to hearing things or vibrations in the atmosphere aswell, interesting thing is that her daughter and mother have exactly the same headaches, different than any normal head pain, the fact these 2 have it seems to point to it being genetic aswell.

I remember reading somewhere that the images when you close your eyes are the outlines or shapes of where you have bright lights etc shone into your eyes that have kinda burnt into your retina is the best way I can explain it, but mine too are almost like I can manipulate the shapes and colours, depending which way you look they move, how tightly closed your eyes are aswell.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I used to hear this sound a lot when I was younger, but only if everything else was quiet or I was in a remote location with no polluting noise.

I assumed when I was younger that this was just the natural rumble of the earth. Caused by it's rotation, plates moving, rock virations etc. I just assumed and still do that the earth by virtue of it's size and activity creates it's own constant rumbling sound.

I think there is a difference between those who suffer from tinitus and the rumbling that others are hearing.......

£0.02.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The hum is very real and easy to distinguish from tinnitus.

One of the major factors with this type of hum, is that one can walk /cycle/drive out of the area - and the hum is gone.... go back – and the hum returns... It is relatively easy to separate this “strange hum” which is very explicitly location dependent , as compared with tinnitus.

The hum is extremely low level in both volume and frequency ; hence why it usually most noticeable at night – same effect as listening to a stream or fountain in a garden pond – it seems twice as loud at night because of the drop in general background noise level.

One factor I have come across first hand is ULF (ultra low frequency) magnetic anomalies.

I stumbled on this when using field (electric/magnetic/radio) detection equipment to track down interference with some industrial equipment. (I was expecticting to find someone using "dodgy" equipment at night hoping no one would notice)

The interference was coming from the ground, and only seemed to be there at certain “quiet times” at night or very early morning. Not constant; and also spanned a wide area. One could then completely loose the anomaly, only to find it again miles away covering a wide patch (talking a couple of square miles) – often in rural areas with no obvious source,

Sometimes one does come across 50Hz (or 100Hz harmonic) that clearly comes from the UK power grid somehow (uk is a 50Hz system, not like the US 60Hz) – but there are definitely anomolies at lower frequencies than 50Hz about that can be detected using a Ultra low frequency (or natural) EM meter.

From my own experience, these strange “Hums” and these magnetic field anomalies are directly associated. The strength of the magnetic anomalies varies over a few hours, often strongest at night (and the hum perceived the loudest) – and is not always consistent from day to day.

As for the source of the Hum and magnetic fields – I would take that up on a separate message..

I think there is more than one source of Hums & magnetic interference, and I have good reason to believe that some are artificial, one give-away is that some consistently stop at weekends !

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well well Booda, yet another strange thing we have in common. Could they be somehow related..?
For me it is a high-pitched noise, as others have described, like a TV frequency, I dont really know how to explain it other than that. Although it has happened in places where there is absolutely no appliances though!

Strange thing is I had never heard it in Norway but in Canada I have heard it a number of times, always the exact same sound, extremely loud for a few seconds and then dying out, never lasting more than a couple minutes and usually like 20 seconds.
It could be something sinister I have heard of using sound as weapons and such, and Im sure you have all heard of a Flashbang (FNDD) using sound to incapacitate criminals.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Besides the medical explanations...

I have read about ELF transmissions.

ELF= Extremely Low Frequency

This technology was developed to contact sub's underwater, in the case primary communications systems are down.

Now, extremely low frequencies require extremely large transmitters:
Think of speakers, tweeters which do high frequency are very small, woofers which make lower frequency, are large...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Saw this in my local paper thought it was worth adding...

The humming: They are listening at last! Now hospital joins probe into mystery noise

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I hear the hum all the time. When I have the windows open at night, the hum starts and I try to locate it.. it's outside somewhere, but I usually just think it's a generator, or some truck spraying something.

Who would have thought it was the hum all along.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I've heard the hum. I haven't asked one person about it that hasn't heard it at some point in their lives. Which would lead me to believe that it is a completely natural occurrence.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Interesting.. I wonder if teenagers hear it more than adults as our hearing gets worse as we age. Also is their a correlation with the Earth's magnetic field. Afterall, everything is connected. Maybe String Theory has something to do with it too, all of the oscillations of different objects and pressures.

We live in an age of cross facts and opinions. The mix is the message as alternet once coined it. So much information, we would rather just have a TV anchor tell us the news, and don't make us think too much.

My thoughts on the connections. The Hum, the times we live in, etc. We are going through a period of dramatic evolution.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Maximus_Prime

I don't honestly know if teenagers do hear it more, but think of this...

We all tend to lose our hearing as we get older.

Particularly noticeable is higher frequency loss of hearing, but I see no reason why lower frequencies could also diminish as well as a persons threshold of hearing.

Just saying...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Just a quick question. How many of you were around when the bristol hum started and did it affect you.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Only time I've ever heard a hum was when I was hit in the ear.Other wise I've never heard any hum at any time!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by booda

I agree that we have several different phenomenon here. I think the sound the OP is referring to is a low frequency hum, not really a buzz or static or high pitched ringing. It sounds like a distant diesel engine idling.
At first I thought it might be a locomotive parked at a rail yard nearby. The sound doesn't come from within because my ear canals are of different diameters, and I only hear the hum in one ear. I also believe it is man made, as it would turn on at almost the same time every evening here in the winter. I also don't hear it during the summer. I'm quite convinced that it's a fan, probably used in an HVAC system on a building in town. The real problem is locating it and then convincing whoever owns it to just turn it off.
I saw somewhere on the net a calculation someone did on a common A/C motor at 60hz using a commonly used pulley and a common 5 blade fan, and it came out to 73hz. That's exactly the frequency I got using a sine wave generator, a scope and my stereo, listening for the beat frequencies to go away.
Anyone else in the US able to perform this same simple test?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

As to your question, I thought I would help. There is a yahoo group dedicated to serious discussion of the hum that seems to be pretty regularly updated with new witness testimonies.

You can find that here:
tech.groups.yahoo.com...

If you do a search in the group for "Bristol" or "Bristol Hum" you will see some people who are talking about what they experienced. Really good information here
!

It is run by a geophysicist at the University of Oklahoma (OU) in Norman for the purposes of serious discussion related to "The Hum".

-ChriS

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaiju

An idling diesel engine is one POSSIBLE explanation. But so is improperly installed HVAC systems. There are alot of POSSIBLE explanations here.. There are very few that make sense in comparison to the Bristol Hum, Kokomo Hum, Taos Hum and the hum reported in Auckland.

This phenomenon tends to cover a pretty huge swath of geographic area. A diesel engine, bad HVAC, not likely when you think about it. This phenomenon is sometimes reported for weeks on end. A diesel engine is likely not going to be running weeks on end, let alone an HVAC system. (I'm using these 2 as very basic examples here just to give us some perspective here). If an HVAC system kicks on, low frequency sound is accompanied with that, you're going to know what is causing the sound..

Sounds, even extremely low frequency sounds, created by HVAC systems, air handling units and diesel generators are highly unlikely to be audible throughout an entire town too. Alot of times Diesel generators are also designed to be housed in shacks and separate structures just to dampen the racket they create. The odd thing with this "hum" phenomenon is that the sound can never be tracked down because it seems to emanate from multiple points at once.

It is naturally harder for human beings to track down the sources of low-frequency sounds than it is to track down the sources of higher-frequency sounds. Especially with regards to this phenomenon since the hum is so marginally audible that the only people able to hear it are usually people with extremely sensitive hearing. The Taos Hum was recorded by scientists a while back and amplified for better audibility. You can see the link to the WAV files in one of my previous posts.

What is interesting here is that there are countless low frequency noises that have been well-documented over the years which are completely bizarre and unknown. Some folks devote all their free time to recording and documenting low-frequency sound/radio waves traveling through the ground in the VLF/ELF subsonic ranges. With the right software you can even view the structure of the sound as it becomes plotted on a spectrum analyzer.

Usually, these low frequncies become plotted and recorded and end up natural in origin.. People end up recording things like a birds flapping their wings off in the distance, low frequency sounds from lightning strikes thousands of miles away, etc..
There are also alot of predictable frequency ranges with very specific structures that can tell you whether or not you're picking up sounds with man-made sources like trains, railway comm signals, sometimes even submarine comm signals, things like that since they all use their own separate frequencies and frequency ranges.

Some researchers and scientists have been discovering some pretty odd things though over the years with regard to some of these subsonic sounds and radio frequencies. For starters, what is scary is that alot of this subsonic "chatter" is traveling through the earth itself. Noone knows what it might do to plants and/or animals since not alot of research has been conducted in that regard.

It's almost scary when you think about it. Submarines, just as an example, use a very specific frequency range for communications, as do train companies for communications, etc.. Almost all the frequencies of the spectrum are emanating from man-made activities and being conducted, to a degree, by the ground itself. Noone knows what the real environmental impact is in this regard. And since not enough data exists to tell us the negative effects of this, we have no idea what we're doing to the planet because of this. Keep in mind, though, I'm referring to frequencies FAR below the capabilities of any human being's hearing.

Another thing that's been discovered is that some extremely bizarre, extremely odd things have been recorded and documented. These are sounds and radio frequencies with artificial structure much like you would expect from other man-made sources. But these are occurring in frequency ranges not used by any military or other man-made technology (at least nothing we know of currently) and sometimes the structure spans such a wide range of frequencies that it almost seems more natural in this regard even though the structure seems to show some kind of artificial source and purpose.
Alot of these are available on the internet.

Here are a couple websites with invaluable scientific and research data that proves something is really going on in the subsonic ranges that even the most well-trained scientist can't explain.

This is my favorite website on the topic.
This guy has been doing this for years, and although this particular posting/article is a few years old, it is still incredible to read. I give this one a 10 out of 10..

Unknown ELF-Signals and Ground Currents by Kurt Diedrich, Germany.

He believes that human beings are to blame for all the unknowns. What he is concerned about is why, since if they are of man-made origin then they seem to be purposefully sent into the earth (using the earth as a conductor).

If so, this is a great topic for a conspiracy theory since this could also, technically, support the theory of the audible hum phenomenon being created on purpose by the government and/or the military towards some end as yet unknown..
Especially if some organisation is using these subsonic frequency ranges for experimentation and research (possibly even under the veil of the black budget).

But here's where it gets more interesting..

This could also be a possible explanation for the "Hum phenomenon" associated with the Taos Hum, Kokomo Hum, Bristol Hum, etc...

Some scientists believe that the aurora (aka. the northern lights) can become audible because so many people have reported hearing the hissing, squealing, and popping noises associated with the aurora which usually have to be greatly amplified by equipment for us to hear them. One great theory suggests that it may be possible for certain kinds of rocks in the ground to absorb, amplify, and then emit/reflect these radio signals given off by the aurora, making them audible by human beings. Even my stepdad claims to have heard the aurora on one occasion. And so many people have reported this phenomenon that scientists are taking it pretty seriously. At least some university scientists are willing to talk about it publicly. You might be wondering how this fits in to the audible hum people are experiencing..

If some organisation or government entity is using and emitting unknown, undocumented, subsonic radio signals in the ELF/ULF range by using the ground as a conductor, it is far from inconcevable that these ELF radio frequencies might become amplified by certain types of rocks and geologic structures at, say, TAOS New Mexico..
Perhaps at least enough to become barely audible by some of the town's citizens. And this is a great theory here because of how it ties in to audible auroral phenomenon.

IK1QFK, Renato Romero Home Page - Exploring ULF-ELF and VLF radio band
Radio waves below 22kHz - Nature Radio Signals and strange emissions at very low frequency. As far as I'm concerned, I think this is the end all of ATS research tools into subsonic ULF/ELF/VLF frequency ranges. A great resource and one I highly recommend. Following links are from the same site..

Unexplained ULF/ELF emissions - page 1

Unexplained ULF/ELF emissions - page 2

Unexplained ULF/ELF emissions - page 3

Here are a couple image examples of what the spectogram shows for some of these unexplained's.. Really bizarre.. These are from the Unexplained emissions page 1 link above. The website gives more detail on what we're seeing here, but seeing it visually plotted makes it seem ever-more bizarre, so I thought I would share some of these. Really interesting stuff here!

Spectrogram of 270" in a 0-86 Hz band.
Received with Marconi T antenna.
Analyzed with Spectrogram.

Strange signal at 25 Hz, composed by 11 tones of 1.5" spaced by 2.2" about. Recevible only in vertical polarization and with ground dipole (nothing with the horizontal loop).

Received with ground dipole of 70m (N/S oriented).

Similar to the first but received with ground dipole: 4 tones at 25 Hz. Also present weak tones at 2.6 Hz, 5.2 Hz, 7.8 Hz, 10.4 Hz etc.

Received with horizontal loop 2100 sq. m.

28 Hz tone of 70 seconds, clear and without harmonics. Not present in vertical polarization.

The signals start from the left part of the pitch at 80 Hz: 8 tones of 20" at 80, 78, 76, 74, 72, 70, 68 and 66 Hz. Unexplained.

Two little hooks of about 10 secs. each.
The first starts at 12 Hz and finishes to 8 Hz. The second starts at 9 Hz and finishes to 6.5 Hz.
These signals are frequently during the sunrise and the sunset.

-ChriS

[edit on 23-5-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

You can't place it, unless you hear the other half.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

This phenomenon is sometimes reported for weeks on end. A diesel engine is likely not going to be running weeks on end, let alone an HVAC system.

Do you know of any studies indicating that the sound was continuous for weeks on end? Or just heard at least once a day for weeks on end? In any area with a substantial winter or summer, HVAC systems are on for months on end. In some larger systems the air/air exchangers never stop blowing unless the system is shut off. Many industrial buildings have exhaust fans that run 24/7/365. I suggested the hum I hear is a fan, PROBABLY an HVAC system and I don't believe it is improperly installed, that's your addition (but that addition does make my point seem weaker).

If an HVAC system kicks on, low frequency sound is accompanied with that, you're going to know what is causing the sound..
That sounds like you agree the low frequency hums are caused by HVAC systems. I'm confused as to why you think low frequency sounds are easy to locate here when later on you explain why they are so hard to localize.

There are very few that make sense in comparison to the Bristol Hum, Kokomo Hum, Taos Hum and the hum reported in Auckland.

Sounds, even extremely low frequency sounds, created by HVAC systems, air handling units and diesel generators are highly unlikely to be audible throughout an entire town too. Alot of times Diesel generators are also designed to be housed in shacks and separate structures just to dampen the racket they create. The odd thing with this "hum" phenomenon is that the sound can never be tracked down because it seems to emanate from multiple points at once.

Interestingly, in opposition to what you have said here, the Kokomo hum has been solved.
orig.courier-journal.com...

I fully agree that a small percentage of people hearing hums are hearing other sources. Natural Earth sound, tectonics, wave action, magma, natural resonances, etc. Others are hearing other man made sounds. Who knows, some may be hearing the sound of an ethereal transmission bouncing off of the ionosphere, directed to whales, sent from aliens in an underground base with a message from Mother Earth that man is really bad and is polluting her spiritual chakras.
But I think something a little more likely is to blame.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join