It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So if there's an afterlife then there's a god

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Who agrees?

I just wouldn't presume that our reality would throw a curveball like that, and if so and there's really no god, then our reality has to be simulated, I just don't see reality doing that when everything we know about life says that when the brain ceases activity and goes dead, you shouldnt exist, the only remains of you are decomposing into the ground.

And what would it even be called? how would it work? Not heaven? Not hell? Not any other religion subjects then. What happens and how? We dont have spirits do we? That's the view of science.

anyone else think like that?

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Deus Ex Machina 42]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Well, if you believe you don't have a soul, then it will be a very lonely existence for your my friend.

And I love how people refer to the time after you die as the "after" life. Life never ceases, there is no before and there is no after.

There does not need to be a "god" in order for life to continue upon ones 3rd material "death". There needs only be an understanding that there is a force, an eternal energy that binds us all together.

Now some would interpret that as God, however my idea is not of a monotheistic god, a being, but a web of energy that animates all things.

~Keeper

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I can think of a solution. Lets play What if.

What if a civilization of living creatures similar to our own achieved the same level of technology and society as ours. Only they did it 9 Billion years ago. They could possibly have the ability to predict the exact location of every molecule at any given time in space or time and manipulate them. Maybe they decided they would create an afterlife for all lifeforms above a certain level of intelligence.

TA DA!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I am not so sure about that, in my eyes afterlife can mean many different things. Like, entering a different dimension or realm. I suppose one can only find out the inevitable when such an event happens.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
We may exist as pure energy forms, after we die. There has been some research into possible alien species existing as energy forms unlike matter. Thus the ghosts we see could be the energy that exists after a person dies

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
True, true, we could live pass our physical bodies which really hold us back in the long stretch of things. I hope we do, but yet again I just don't know, I don't see reality doing that, I mean everything points at us just rotting in the ground, non-existent for eternity.

But hey, becoming a being of pure energy would be awesome, we would be able to traverse the universe.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

I don't agree.

I don't know why the existence of an afterlife somehow indicates there must be a God.

Of course, subjectively, I'm sure there is.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

Soul = consciousness. So if you have a soul or not is simple a matter if you are conscious and know what it means "to be". If you are an observer, then you have a soul.

Creation = logic. Logic which creates laws and such like physics. The universe is based on this, and it has no free will. It is unable to observe anything, it is not conscious, it has no free will etc. Just like a program on your PC, it just follows the patterns(laws) given to it. Matter is just data in the equation following those laws.

Consciousness gives reason, understanding and so forth. God is pure consciousness, which just is. If you really start to think about this and understand that you are consciousness you will soon realize it is impossible for you to not exist. If there is no consciousness to observe it, then it wouldn't be there. "to be, or not to be".

Think of the universe as being like a video game. Like WoW. You make a character in WoW, you play that character. The WoW world and the character itself defines the experience. However, it doesn't actually define "you". "You" are the consciousness behind it. This is the same of your physical body. The body and this world define your experience, your ride. But they do not define you.

You attach these things to yourself. It's "your body", "your brain". If these are the things that make you, then why are they your possession? Even the soul/consciousness we put into terms of a possession. But who is it that is actually in possession? That bit of "being" inside you, that is something that exists beyond possession. The soul and "you" is an individual piece of consciousness within a bigger one, so it is then a "possession". Like an individual drop of water in an ocean.

Your eyes collect light, your ears collect sound waves. Both are turned into electrical signals which travel from the sense to the brain. At which point, they are then converted back into the images you see and hear. To whom or what are these things presented to?

So what you are really talking about is how long does the ride last. And that I do not know. But eventually, all things that are of god(consciousness) will return to god. That journey back is the point. It may very well be that after we die, we immediately return back to the source and that is the end of "you" as an individual. Although I can also certainly understand a much longer journey/existence. Losing your individuality is the death of the soul, and is not considered something you'd really want. You will be returning to the father, so it wouldn't be a "hell", but you would just cease to exist. All will eventually do this however.

You see everything rotting into the ground after death because you see yourself as being flesh and only flesh. The body is just a tool/vessel that in itself follows the law of physics(from the dust of the earth). You haven't experienced the 2nd birth, where you realize and know that is not the case.

So with Jesus, he speaks of 2 births. 1 is the birth of the flesh, from Joseph and Mary. The other birth is the birth of the soul/consciousness which fills the body, and that is of the father(god).

It's hard for people to understand as long as they see themselves as being only flesh. I never understood anything until I found out that isn't the case. Read the exact same bible verses, didn't mean anything to me. Now when I read them I see an understanding men had never told or shown me. I didn't find answers in the bible, but I seen them repeated there.

Know thyself

top topics

join