It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Island With Pyramid Found in Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I read this on NG and felt I should share it here.

An island for ancient elites has been found in central Mexico, archaeologists say. Among the ruins are a treasury and a small pyramid that may have been used for rituals.

The island, called Apupato, belonged to the powerful Tarascan Empire, which dominated much of western Mexico from A.D. 1400 to 1520, before the European conquest of the region.

"If you would paddle up to the island [during the time], you would see a number of buildings, some temples with smoke coming out of them from rituals, and a small village of specialized people—priests, elites,"

Article Source: Ancient Island with pyramid

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm glad to see it's a legitimate source! I was expecting national enquirer, or something like that.

Do you know of any other pictures then that they posted, all I see is a bunch of rocks and a yard sign... hence why i'm not indiana jones type a guy.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Do you know of any other pictures then that they posted,

I searched but could not find any more pictures.

I am also searching for articles on links and similarities between ancient Egypt and Maya civilizations, does anyone have anything on that?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Here are some pics

They are from this website. It also has information on the find! Heres another link

-E-

[edit on 18-5-2009 by MysterE]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
So, we now consider 1400 C.E. to be "ancient?"

Sorry. I do not.

Harte

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Yes this is prob.out of line here but i can't take it anymore.Mate,why don't you snap out of it?Is it too much to ask for your elitist & massively IQ'd brain to simply peruse over what us mere simpletons(in your eyes)post in or comment on,rock back in your chair & shake your head in disbelief that no-one else in the forum comes close to your intellect.Every time i read your reply to a post it is to mock.Someone has found an article they found interesting & thoughtfully took the time to bother posting in to share with likeminded fellow members.Who really cares what your interpretation of the word ancient is ?Why not start a thread/poll & argue your point with respondants to it.I really do wonder how many people don't follow through with posting a thread in due to replies such as yours.That said,thanks to the OS for this info.
Cheers
Fots

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Sorry folks, I'm with Harte on this one. 1400CE just isn't old enough to be called ancient. Maybe 1400BCE, but even then, i personally like it older. I'm not saying the article isn't slightly interesting, but in 1400CE thats just not as incredible as some of the things built thousands of years before. It's one of the reasons i'm not entirely into Machu Picchu, not old enough.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

reply to post by Schmidt1989

I think you two are getting too caught up in symantics to catch the actual meaning of the thread. Try reading again and change "ancient" to "really old" and you'll probably get it!

-E-

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by fotsyfots
Yes this is prob.out of line here but i can't take it anymore.Mate,why don't you snap out of it?

So, you're the one that can't take it yet you expect someone else (me)
to do something about it?

Originally posted by fotsyfotsIs it too much to ask for your elitist & massively IQ'd brain to simply peruse over what us mere simpletons(in your eyes)post in or comment on,rock back in your chair & shake your head in disbelief that no-one else in the forum comes close to your intellect.

Do you somehow think that I do not already do this more often than not?

Originally posted by fotsyfotsEvery time i read your reply to a post it is to mock.

Is there or is there not an "ignore" function at ATS?

Originally posted by fotsyfotsSomeone has found an article they found interesting & thoughtfully took the time to bother posting in to share with likeminded fellow members.

And I "took the time" to comment on it. Are you a fascist? Ever heard of free speech?

Originally posted by fotsyfotsWho really cares what your interpretation of the word ancient is?

I do.
Why should I care about who else cares?
At any rate, it was National Geographic that called the site "ancient," not the OP.
This site is dated to about 150 years before the founding of St. Augustine, Florida. If that's "ancient" to you, you need to expand your horizons.

FYI, the term "ancient" is usually reserved for periods predating the Roman Empire.

Originally posted by fotsyfotsWhy not start a thread/poll & argue your point with respondants to it.

What point do you perceive that I'm "arguing?" I gave my opinion, nothing more. I suppose the Mods will let me know if the offering of opinion is no longer allowed at this board. Pardon me if I don't consider your interpretatrion of my post to be particularly germane or even relevant.

Originally posted by fotsyfotsI really do wonder how many people don't follow through with posting a thread in due to replies such as yours.

If any of these hypothetical posters would have posted statements that are indicative of their own ignorance, the more that decide not to post, the better.
They can thank me later for helping them save face.

Harte

[edit on 5/19/2009 by Harte]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
I am also searching for articles on links and similarities between ancient Egypt and Maya civilizations, does anyone have anything on that?

Yes, and the answer is:

* done by humans
* they worked stone (very different kinds of stone.)
* they had pottery
* they kept domesticated birds (different kinds, though.)
* both were notoriously bad sailors

Differences are:
* One civilization died 1500 years before the other
* no compatible language
* no similar rituals
* no similar writing
* different social structure
* totally different grammar
* different genetics
* different domestic animals
* different gods, different origin stories, different mythologies
* different climate
* different type of geography
* different foods
* different types of cuisine (cooking recipes)
* different types of music
* different length of civilization survival (5,000 years versus 800 years)
* different access to metals
* different technology when conquered
* different kinds of games
* different kinds of clothing
* different kinds of symbols
* different rules about what was "poetry."
* different kinds of tools (Mayans used jade; Egyptians had hardened copper)
* different kinds of weapons (Mayans never developed bows)
* use of atl-atl (not used in Egypt)
* different burial practices
* different footwear
* different sacrificial practices.
* different rules on who could marry whom
* different kinds of priesthoods
* different warrior classes
* lack of chariots for Mayans although they would have been possible

...etc. I could go on a bit more but I need to finish some homework.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Byrd]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I should also add, "different beliefs about the soul (Egyptians believed in a 5 part soul) and what happened in the Afterlife (I want to go to the Egyptian afterlife, thanks.) and who was allowed in the afterlife.)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Howdy Byrd

Could we take that as " I don't believe they are similar"? : ]

Good list

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Byrd,
With all due respect I am disappointed in your attempt at a list for what appears to be more of a sarcastic reply to the question than a contribution. Do you consider the comparison of the Maya and Egyptian cultures "forbidden archaeology"?

I am interested in understanding ancient cultures and find this to be difficult with the myriad of false claims and misconceptions. However responding with contempt to "against the mainstream" science adds to the disinformation hindering any understanding IMO.

I don't know of any articles on similarities between the two civilizations but I did come up with a few on my own. I know there were many differences and the list below is debatable so rather then dismiss them I wounder if you could help corroborate these as being possible.

Egyptian-Maya Civilization Similarities

1. Adorned their temples and structures with hieroglyphs
  2. Scribes were held in high prestige possibly of nobility, nepotistic
  3. Built pyramids and temples with high precision for both geographical and astronomical
  4. Known for their advanced knowledge in astronomy
  5. Displayed interest & understanding of the 12 zodiac constellations with the addition of Ophiuchus and Orion
  6. Character signs of the zodiac similar

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What Harte means by the interpretation of ancient is that 1400 CE would be the 1400s.

He was only commenting on how the age is presented in the article, something I have to agree with.

Ancient Egypt is well... ancient.

This find is about (roughly) 600 years old.

The Roman Empire fell in 476 AD, almost a thousand years earlier.

Ancient Egypt fell to Rome almost 1400 years previous to this find.

The Pyramid of Khufu was finished in 2560 BC, about 3,900 years previous.

It's nitpicking, to be sure. However, I can understand Hart'es point.

Devino, yes, both cultures used Hieroglyphics, however, they are not related to each other. You can't use one set to translate, or form a basis for translation of the other.
I wouldn't consider their zodiac signs to be similar.
The Mayans included local animals, like the jaguar, and the peccary as part of their constellations.
Egypt mostly included Gods as part of their constellations.
Most constellations are formed from the brightest and most noticeable stars in the sky.
It's why Ursa Major and the Big Dipper both share the North Star.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

* different kinds of weapons (Mayans never developed bows)

???

Whaaaaaat? never developed the bow?

Of course they used the bow, maybe not as a weapon of classic warfare, but surely they used the bow for hunting.

technicaly the egyptians never developed the bow either, it was brought to them by outsiders along with the chariot and the sword.

But any way I would be truley surprised that the maya didnt use the bow in any way.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks09

I'm a bit confused as well, I find multiple mentions of bow and arrows in reference to Mayan weaponry.
www.worldmuseumofman.org...
www.authenticmaya.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Yes the Mayan used bows. I use to practice with bows reconstructed based on temple pictures while working in the Yucatan. I believe Byrd may have been referring to chariots perhaps?

They were equivalent to a western short bow. Not particularly powerful and with their stone arrow heads they didn't replace the javelin/spear as the primarly battle weapon. That and the jungle terrain wasn't great for the development of archery tactics. Especially since Mayan warfare emphasized the captured of the enemy.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
Devino, yes, both cultures used Hieroglyphics, however, they are not related to each other. You can't use one set to translate, or form a basis for translation of the other.

I was considering the use of glyphs, or carved symbols, on their temples and monuments similar. As for the type of writing system, logo-graphic/symbolic, I don't know.

Originally posted by RuneSpider
I wouldn't consider their zodiac signs to be similar.
The Mayans included local animals, like the jaguar, and the peccary as part of their constellations.
Egypt mostly included Gods as part of their constellations.

I'm having trouble finding complete information pertaining to signs of the Maya zodiac, most sites refer to the 20 glyphs from the Tzolkin which I think are days. The Paris Codex divides the zodiac into 13 constellations (in western astrology the 13th sign is said to be Ophiuchus-snake bearer) but it is damaged and information on it is incomplete. There are some characters similar to the western zodiac, Scorpio and Aquarius, but like you pointed out there are also differences. I am unsure how accurate this information is, far too much as been destroyed.

Constellations, planets and perhaps comets were considered gods by many of the ancients which is another similarity. I often wounder if the mythology about these ancient gods is more of a rhetorical or poetic account for astronomical events mistaken by us as nothing more then religious superstition.

new topics

top topics

join