It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's the mythology in Stargate Atlantis?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Everything I've read about SG:A makes it seem that the only connection to Earth Mythology is the name Atlantis. The thing that made SG1 so interesting to me was that the storyline was firmly rooted in ancient myths. Almost nothing is said about Atlantis in myths, possibly leaving too much to imagination.

Any opinions about this?

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by phoenix314]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I was under the impression that the Atlantis Stargate would tie into the "lost world of the Ancients" that they have been looking for on SG1 in some way .

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
I was under the impression that the Atlantis Stargate would tie into the "lost world of the Ancients" that they have been looking for on SG1 in some way .

I meant "Real World" mythos, not SG1 versions.

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by phoenix314]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix314
Everything I've read about SG:A makes it seem that the only connection to Earth Mythology is the name Atlantis. The thing that made SG1 so interesting to me was that the storyline was firmly rooted in ancient myths. Almost nothing is said about Atlantis in myths, possibly leaving too much to imagination.

Any opinions about this?

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by phoenix314]

I have an answer for you, In Episode one of SGA, it is explained that the people of Atlantis Populated many star systems, and when their enemy came knocking at their doors after wiping out all of the closest colonies, they (Atlanteans) submerged their great City into the Ocean, for protection, and sent the survivors to Earth. The tales told of the great Atlantis sinking into the Sea were passed down through surviving Descendents of the orignal Atlantis, until it was no more than a myth Plato Came up with.

So there was an Atlantis that sunk into the sea, it just didn't happen on Earth, but the story was brought there, and spread, hence the many civilazations having the great sunken City/Continent Myth.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I've seen all of the SG:A episodes (except for "28 minutes").
When I posted this topic, the 15 sec. commercials had just started on sci-fi.

What do you think about these possibilities?
1. The Wrath are actually an experiment at immortaly and wanted (and still want) revenge for what the ancients did to them.

2. The Ancients may have had the best tech, but were even denser than Gen. Jack O'Neill. No wonder they needed those headsuckers.

3. Our kind (Homo Sapiens Tau'ri) were brought from Earth to the Pegasus Galaxy (NGC 7331) to feed The Wrath.

4. ZPM's are solid Naquadria in a crystalline form.

5. The Replicators will make a guest appearence on the show and take over a Wrath Hiveship.

I hope the SGA can actually be allied with the Genii

new topics

top topics

join