It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama refuses to meet with Governor Gibbons about tourism comments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

President Obama refuses to meet with Governor Gibbons about tourism comments

www.ktnv.com

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority reports over 400 conventions and business meetings scheduled to take place in Las Vegas recently have cancelled. These cancelled events translate into 111,800 guests in Las Vegas and over 250,000 "room-nights". The cancelled conventions and meetings have cost the Las Vegas economy over $100-million, not including gaming revenue.

"I am disappointed at the hypocrisy shown by this Administration," Gibbons said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/18/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This all stems from Obama's anti business rhetoric. I don't know where liberals think this money comes from that grows the economy. It comes from innovation and ideas. In order for people to work somebody had to create the job.

I noticed that Barack and Michelle constantly talk down entrepreneurship in favor of sacrifice for the collective.

They don't realize when self interest kicks in it helps the collective. A person starts a business and it ends up making 20 million a year, alot of people get helped. People have jobs, they pay taxes and alot of times give to charaties and non-profits.

The story starts off like this.

Carson City - The Office of Governor Jim Gibbons was notified today that President Barack Obama has refused to meet with the Governor and key business leaders from Nevada. Governor Gibbons requested the meeting in a letter to President Obama so the President could address statements he made that were critical to Nevada and have caused economic damage to convention business and tourism business in the Silver State. Earlier this year, the President told an audience in Elkhart, Indiana, "You can't get corporate jets. You can't go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayer's dime." That quote was seen by many as an insult to Las Vegas and as a message to companies across the Nation to stay away from Las Vegas for corporate meetings and conventions.

www.ktnv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/18/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Oh boo hoo.

Vegas is seeing it's hit from the economic crisis. People arent traveling there, therefore, conventions arent selling out, and canceling.

That we have a president that is willing to call out business leaders is not insulting Vegas. Someone is trying to cover their butt because they are not meeting budget goals.

It's called "Pass the Buck"

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Obama refuses to meet with the business leaders that he caused problems for. Gotta' love this 'change', eh?

So Obama tells people not to go to Vegas for their parties .. but then a few months later he goes to Vegas for a political fund raiser.

Story here

He's just another typical freak'n hypocritical politician and he's running away from the consequences of his words. Coward.

Originally posted by platosallegory
I noticed that Barack and Michelle constantly talk down entrepreneurship in favor of sacrifice for the collective.

Right out of ATLAS SHRUGGED. They are following the play book.

[edit on 5/27/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Right out of ATLAS SHRUGGED. They are following the play book.

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged now and I am absolutely shocked at how spot on Ayn Rand was. Those who do their evil deeds disguising these acts as being for the 'collective good of the people' scare the daylights out of me.

Honestly, this country has made so many grave errors in the past 30 years I can't see a positive way out of the mess.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by platosallegory

This all stems from Obama's anti business rhetoric.

I don't see it that way at all!

Obama was talking about how the companies that were receiving bailout money should NOT be using this money to fly to Las Vegas and rent jets for their amusement and pleasure.

President Obama Refuses to Meet with Governor Gibbons About Tourism Comments

Earlier this year, the President told an audience in Elkhart, Indiana, "You can't get corporate jets. You can't go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayer's dime."

Do you not remember how mad the American people were when it was found out that these companies that received the bailout money were using this money to rent private jets, spend weekends in resorts on the opposite coast and go to places like Vegas!

10 Worst Bailout Boondoggles

AIG’s $400,000 Post-Bailout Party: While American taxpayers were still absorbing the shock of having to foot an $85 billion bill (a tab that later grew to $144 billion) to bail out American International Group, executives at the insurer headed straight for the exclusive St. Regis resort in Southern California just days after their company got the money. The $440,000 tab for their eight-day stay at the Tuscan-style resort included $150,000 for meals, $23,000 in spa charges and $7,000 for golf outings.
******SKIP******
Free Use of Corporate Jet for Personal Travel: While hard times are forcing many of us to stretch another year out of the family jalopy, the CEOs at U.S. banks getting bailout money will continue to ride -- and fly -- high. John Mack (pictured right), who heads Morgan Stanley, which has taken $10 billion in U.S. government bailout money so far, enjoyed $356,000 worth of personal use of a corporate jet last year. JPMorgan Chase has gotten $25 billion in bailout money. Its chief, James Dimon (pictured left), took $211 million worth of use of a company jet last year. [uHe used company cars at an estimated cost of $68,000.

This statement Obama made was chastising these companies for using the bailout money in ways that it wasn't intended on being used.

It has nothing to do, in my opinion, with any kind of "Obama's anti business rhetoric".

In fact, the articles quote from Obama is EXACTLY what the American people wanted and needed to hear, that the governments bailout money (taxpayer money) was not going to be used for these companies vacation retreats and other extravagances!

Should I dare say that, maybe, those 400 hundred conventions and meetings that were canceled were actually canceled because the people and the companies just didn't have the money to go to Vegas!

Kind of hard to blame somebody or point a finger at somebody, and say it's their fault, and they need to fix it, if it's just a case of people and companies not being able to AFFORD to go to Vegas for these 400 conventions and meetings.

[edit on 5/27/2009 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

join