It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronaut Searches for Life ... on Mount Everest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Astronaut Searches for Life ... on Mount Everest

www.space.com

Searching for signs of life on Mount Everest could provide a window into the extreme environments that organisms might inhabit elsewhere in the universe.

In collaboration with scientists at NASA's Ames Research Center in California, Parazynski has planned a series of experiments to conduct on the mountain to hunt for signs of extreme life, called extremophiles. For instance, he hopes to find lichen, algae and bacteria on the rocks at the tallest mountain in the world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
At first glance it appears that it is one man's quest for some answers. Reading further in the article he appears to have a strong partnership with NASA (as you would expect from an astronaut).

I do always marvel at the different organisms we find in such strange places on Earth and i guess if we keep checking the most inhabitable places on Earth for life and keep finding it then maybe it gives us more hope for finding life on other planets.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

Yip,and thats only the tip of the iceberg.We dont know how other life may have evolved in absolutely unfathamoble situations we could only dream of.The water bears are one of the hardiest living things i know of.I was also shocked when they found those shrimp clinging to the vents under the ocean where it was reaching temps close enough to melt the glass on the submersible! I always wondered if that meant it was impossible to cook them
I dont know if he will find anything,im not aware of such expeditions to mt everest before,but fingers crossed!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I really do believe there may be life on Everest. I mean I can not see why not.

new topics

top topics

join