It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st Limbaugh now Golisana...the rich are leaving New York

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
www.buffalonews.com...

Ending any speculation about another possible run for governor, Rochester businessman and Sabres owner B. Thomas Golisano said Thursday he will be moving his legal residence to Florida to escape New York state taxes.

Golisano told a gathering of Rochester business executives that he will remain as owner of the Buffalo hockey team, but he is fleeing the Empire State to avoid paying $13,000 a day in state income taxes.

But since then, Gov. David A. Paterson and lawmakers approved a state budget that will raise $4 billion in new income taxes this year on wealthier residents. In Golisano’s case —and anyone else making more than $500,000 this year — he is seeing his state tax rate go from 6.85 percent to 8.97 percent.

Paterson declined to comment.
He sure had a comment after Limbaugh left costing the state millions. If Golisano was paying $13,000 a DAY in state taxes can you imagine what Limbaugh was paying?

Paterson raised taxes in hopes of raising $4 billion in revenue, but where does that money come from when the people you tax leave your state? Who is stuck with the tab?

Raising taxes does not create more revenue.
Lowering taxes does.

There is another thread wondering why New York is charging the working homeless rent for shelter. THIS is the reason!

[edit on 18-5-2009 by RRconservative]

[edit on 18-5-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
No love for the rich? Or much love to out of control tax increases by government?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Atlas Will Shrug. If you overtax those who make money then they will leave and take their money with them. It's common sense. (Something that the 'tax and spend' politicians don't seem to have).

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Donald Trump said he is also considering getting the hell out of New York. I don't know what's taking him so long.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Oh no! How dare they make me pay my share of the blood money I soaked off of the American people!

It's astounding! I mean they got our good buddy Madoff! What more could they possibly want right?

Now they want us to pay our fair share of taxes from the profits we made off the sub prime mortgages we helped package and sell to banks?!?

Alfred, pull around the Bently Limmo Im taking my gulfstream to Florida to escape this blatant robbery of my hard stolen money!

I suppose I will have to put all my money in an off shore bank account to keep those greedy IRS agents fingers out of my pie!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Good man. It's high time the rich started moving away from high-tax states and regimes. We'll see how it pans out for those people who want to tax success while subsidising failure.

I don't really want to engage in another debate about wealth and taxes, particularly not when some people are suggesting that every rich man gained his money through "bailouts"...

All I will do is smile, and contemplate how it will all pan out 10 years down the line.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Yep, we need to severely punish those who are successful because everyone knows, if you have money then you obviously conned some poor person out of it.

I can't wait till we are all equally making $20,000 per year, driving our government approved cars while going to our government approved coffee shop to get our government approved 8oz decaf with no sugar, cream or anything else that could make us obese.

YAY, I can't wait until I don't have to think for myself anymore, go Democrats!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Of course! We can all live in Boulder and eat wheat grass too!

Some obviously don't understand the difference between the rich and the successful.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
They can move anywhere but as long as they are in the US they will have to pay their fair share of taxes.

Still more is coming our way when Obama tax increases finally hit everybody and more the rich and wealthy, you can not sustain and unsustainable deficit without the unwilling tax payer.

So hey next thing they will be leaving the US to somewhere else to avoid all taxes.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Anjin

Of course! We can all live in Boulder and eat wheat grass too!

Some obviously don't understand the difference between the rich and the successful.

Actually, I don't think that I do.
Would you say that Bill Gates is rich or successful assuming he couldn't be both?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I dont want them coming anywhere near me. The rich show up in some rural area to have their little tax breaks and that's fine and good until they buy up hundreds of acres and build their McMansions which in turn drive up the property values of everyone around which in itself isnt a bad thing until the politicians get hooked with the money fever and decide to reassess the tax rate based on the new property values.

Next thing you know Steve's farm is out of business and all the rural folks are flocking to the urban center to get in the bread line with all the other urban dependents.

You can be rich and not be an asshole. I dont care if some rich guy moves in but if I see one of these assholes setting up shop the Molotov's are gonna fly.

They came from NY and destroyed CT. They left CA and destroyed MT. I'd rather they not come and destry NH. We dont have any money to establish a tax-devouring nanny state and we like it that way.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The uber rich and powerful have many many ways of avoiding paying that deadbeat thief Uncle Sam. I mean how dare the government require the wealthy to pay taxes, it's downright Unamerican! Oh the days of Republican tax cuts for the wealthy and making damn sure those ghastly poor people have no hope of bettering themselves. Oh those were the days.

But this administration! My god! Actually thinking that educating poor people is a good thing?!? Only the wealthiest should be educated. I don't want my son or daughter mingling with some riff raffs child!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

I would call him successful. Why? he created a product that people wanted to buy.

Whereas people like Paris Hilton, the Kennedy's, the Rothschild's, these are Rich people.

Is the difference a little more clear?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I agree with you on the people you just mentioned however, the 2 people in the OP I would consider successful as well.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Hey they created "entertainment" hour of poor working class glue to their TVs waiting for the next episode of "the simple life" and the latest gossip on sex scandals.

Because that is what the poor working class love to watch and dream about.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The rich will always scream when their taxes are raised a little bit. If the guy is being charged $13,000 a day he must be uber-rich! He can afford it. Besides, there are a million loopholes in the tax codes and the rich know it, and how to avoid paying what they're supposed to. They all have tax lawyers who do nothing but find loopholes for them. They're not going to suffer.

For too long the middle class has paid the highest tax rate in America and shouldered their fair share -- more than their fair share in many cases . Even Warren Buffet says his secretary pays a higher rate than he does. It's time for others to do their part.

In the 1950's and 60's the rich were taxed at a much higher rate than Obama is proposing now. Corporations were all taxed more too. They survived without screaming and running away.

This was also a good time for the middle and working classes, who saw their wages steadily increase. The rich and the rising middle class all did well together. Those decades are still remembered as a period of prosperity in America.

Conservatives worship the ground rich people walk on. In the last 30 years or so they have decided that none of us could prosper or even survive without them. I think some of the rich are great contributors to society and some are not. Pretty much what I think of people as a whole. Conservative/Republican, however you want to name yourself, Republicans didn't always operate on these assumptions.

There was a time in our history when the rich felt it was their patriotic duty to pay their fair share of taxes.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I really dont understand when in America it became acceptable to punish people who make money.

When was the last time you got a job from a poor person?
When was the last time a hobo gave you a paycheck?

Just what to you is "paying your fair share"?

You do realize that the wealthy pay the majority of the taxes for the total populous of the US?

I agree that people should be taxed whats fair, but i dont think that its fair for people to say "oh just because they are rich we are going to take more of their money"

That discourages success, and what it will do is take EVERY wealthy person and job creator in the US and force them over seas.

Then what are you going to do? You wont have jobs because no one will start businesses here.

There is a difference between being fair and being obscene about the tax issue.

So here we are people, "those people are rich GET EM!" do you realize how slippery a slope that is you start heading down?

The solution is NOT to raise huge taxes on rich people OR poor people for that matter, its STOP THE RIDICULOUS SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT TALKING HEADS!"

You throw the huge taxes on the major producers in America and soon they wont be here at all, we already have a chasm in what we produce as a country, its detrimental that we do NOT make that gap wider. There has to be incentive for Americans as PERSONS to want to think, create, dream to become wealthy , hope to create something good that people need, people need that dream to bring us out of this, but if you punish them where is the motivation?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Ah yes the tired old rich motto "Don't blame us, even though we completely destroyed the economy to make a fast buck"

It's funny, the rich are crying about tax hikes, all the while they pay employees sub standard wages, no health care, giving themselves multi-million dollar "Performance" bonuses, then beg DC for bailouts.

Again I will reiterate, there is nothing wrong with success but don't come crying to me when you trash your company, destroy the economy, wreck the environment, and devastate your country. Then give thousands of employees pink slips.

Don't cry to me from your Lexus when I am riding a city bus to work.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I didnt say that the bailouts should have happened. Your argument was like "yeah tax em tax em" thats what it came across like.

You say they have a "dont blame us because we destroyed the economy" are you kidding?

Why do you think we even have an economy? Its not because of the bum on the streets, and if you RUN off the business owners with taxes youll end up in a world of hurt.

I think businesses that cant keep their head above water SHOULD fail, i think that the wealthy should get taxed whats FAIR.

I do NOT subscribe however to this "they are rich lets get them" attitude

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If it were me I would lynch the rich, but they didn't ask me.

It's not like I care anyway, I pay my taxes without complaint. Least there's a few of us that understand that we have to pay for this republic.

I mean y'all can go Gault if you want to, we will just replace you, everyone including the rich are expendable.

Remember that the next time you hear of them laying someone off

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join