It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble to be used to study the moon after repairs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

From the article :

Pieces of the old insulation broke off and floated harmlessly away.

"I was hoping to retrieve those for memories," said Grunsfeld, an astrophysicist who has spent more time working on the orbiting Hubble than anyone. He's visited Hubble twice before, and plans to use the telescope once he's back on Earth to study the moon.

Perhaps we can put an end to these silly theories of UFO moon bases, spires, strip mines and what not once and for all. Should be interesting either way, heck it might even bring up more questions than it answers, especially from here!

Thoughts?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
After seeing hubble fixed today, my main thought is what the hell are we gonna do without the space shuttle...

thanks bush/cheney for ruining our space program.. sigh...

now instead of a uber new spaceship shuttle, were gonna get some escape pod that has to crash into the ocean.

its enough to make a grown man cry.. only the hope that the tr3-b is real holds the tears back

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I can imagine NASA will have to hire some expert photo editors to work on those pics. I couldn't imagine the quality of pictures hubble will take. You should be able to see some very amazing detail. Again, all we the general public will ever see is very sharp images of desert like terrain and big space rocks that someone will amazingly say looks like a craft or alien skull.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

The japanese JAXA have been monitoring the moon with the Selene/Kaguya lunar explorer since October 2007, you can see some HD photo and video, sonar analysis and what more on their site but so far anything that escaped from that agency is depressing. I really hope Hubble can be used to take high definition images of the moon surface, it would clear up some issues and answer some questions since the Apollo program.

www.jaxa.jp...

Edit: JAXA YouTube channel, some videos and images released to the public.
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 2009/5/19 by reugen]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Great the Hubble will take pictures of the MOON , and then the photoshop crew will add the fuzzy squares that make up the normal pictures , or better yet, Hubble will suffer a catastrophic malfunction and cease to transmit its data before any pictures showing moonbases or statues or alien babes taking nudey naps in the sunshine as they tan their green hides.

Expect no helpful images from Hubble.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mudman21
I can imagine NASA will have to hire some expert photo editors to work on those pics. I couldn't imagine the quality of pictures hubble will take. You should be able to see some very amazing detail. Again, all we the general public will ever see is very sharp images of desert like terrain and big space rocks that someone will amazingly say looks like a craft or alien skull.

I was quite unimpressed with the last set of pictures it took of the moon, to say the least. I'm not sure if any of the changes they made to the Hubble will improve it's resolution of such a close body as the moon, but I for one certainly hope so.

The question is if they do come back amazing, but show no structures, mini-malls, etc., will people drop the whole thing, or accuse them of covering it up? Why would they even let someone study the moon with it if they know what's up there anyhow? And let's say in some strange fluke they DID find something, anything, does anyone honestly think they would even show us a picture?

Why photoshop it when you just keep it secret?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
[color=olive]You people are hilarious and apparently live in a self fulfilled prophecy. No pictures have even been taken or released yet and you have already called them fake. WTF?!? Then why do you even bother coming here? You’re not seeking the truth. You’re just building on your paranoia.

Just remember-just because you’re not paranoid doesn’t mean they’re still not out to get you.

I, for one, am really looking forward to better lunar pictures. Even if there are no alien bases or structures there. Just the idea of being able to gaze at high resolution pictures of another world intrigue me.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

Huh, funny you refer to them as "silly" theories. And furthermore, I highly doubt they will be studying the moon and giving out the "actual" resulsts to the public.

NASA is quite iffy about that.

~Keeper

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ratcals
[color=olive]You people are hilarious and apparently live in a self fulfilled prophecy. No pictures have even been taken or released yet and you have already called them fake. WTF?!? Then why do you even bother coming here? You’re not seeking the truth. You’re just building on your paranoia.

Well said. I really don't get this mindset, it's borderline fanaticism, and it seems like no matter what, they WANT it to be a cover-up instead of taking a bit of a more critical approach to any evidence.

I, for one, am really looking forward to better lunar pictures. Even if there are no alien bases or structures there. Just the idea of being able to gaze at high resolution pictures of another world intrigue me.

And that's what it's all about! The discovery and wonder of it all, not looking for shapes to color in as strip mines, etc and accuse NASA, our astronauts and scientists of being involved in a deceptive cover-up.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

We clearly do not belong here, and I often wonder why I keep coming back.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

how long has hubble been floating above our heads? i remember it had gone a major repair during its initial operations.so how come it missed the moon all this time? or has it?why all the hype in the far and distant remnant of the universe yet we never did have the chance to get a glimpse of the nearest solar neighbor we have with hubble?why NASA didnt present the moon to us in all its glory when it could and would have settled all the mystery that nasa itself propagated is one thing my simple human brain cannot comprehend.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I would hazard a guess and say it might have something to do with minimum distance resolution. I haven't researched it any but maybe they gave the Hubble a different set of glasses in a way. Something like bifocals. Now it can see close up things as well as distant things.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by ratcals]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by enkira
reply to post by Soloist

how long has hubble been floating above our heads?

About 19 years now, working properly for 16 years since the initial repair.

so how come it missed the moon all this time? or has it?

It took some images of the moon in 1999, even though that wasn't it's primary focus at the time. You can check it out Here

From the article :

In a change of venue from peering at the distant universe, NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has taken a look at Earth's closest neighbor in space, the Moon. Hubble was aimed at one of the Moon's most dramatic and photogenic targets, the 58 mile-wide (93 km) impact crater Copernicus.

The image was taken while the Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph (STIS) was aimed at a different part of the moon to measure the colors of sunlight reflected off the Moon. Hubble cannot look at the Sun directly and so must use reflected light to make measurements of the Sun's spectrum. Once calibrated by measuring the Sun's spectrum, the STIS can be used to study how the planets both absorb and reflect sunlight.

The pictures are not that great though, leaving alot to be desired, imo.

why all the hype in the far and distant remnant of the universe yet we never did have the chance to get a glimpse of the nearest solar neighbor we have with hubble?

I think it was a problem(or design) with being able to resolve such a near body, maybe some more knowledgeable members can answer that one. I'm assuming that since they say they want to study the moon now they've changed something in the Hubble to allow them to do so.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

I agree. Even if it turns out there are no moon bases or secret alien hideouts on the moon, it would still be great to see those pictures. I would still be enthralled.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
if nasa had any brains at all, and wanted to truly debunk everyones theories on the spires etc..
then when the hubble takes hi quality pictures of the moon then it would just make sense to release the pictures of these anomalies in hi def and debunk everyone once and for all.
however because more than likely the objects there are infact artifacts we will never see those new pictures until they are leaked or accidentally looked over by one of nasas under talented shoddy photoshop workers.
which who knows how long that will take.
but that aside. heres to hoping.
i cant wait to see these pictures.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

Thanks for the link. I was dissapointed to see the photos were not very clear, or is it my eyes? They seemed a little blurry. Proof NASA is hiding something

Seriously though, they do look blurry to me.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
*blink* I'm confused. Why go to all the trouble to fix the hubble then start looking inwards instead of outwards? I simply drool over those deep field pics even getting them matted, framed, and hung up on my walls.

If it's okay with the OP, I'd like to include a link to this thread on my successful, albeit embarassing, Apollo 11 Babies thread.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brettray
if nasa had any brains at all, and wanted to truly debunk everyones theories on the spires etc..
then when the hubble takes hi quality pictures of the moon then it would just make sense to release the pictures of these anomalies in hi def and debunk everyone once and for all.

I just don't picture them too concerned with the theories, or debunking them for that matter. Heck, if anything (and it's a stretch) I would think it would be better for their budgets to let people go hog wild with them to keep public interest in the program.

What I'm saying is if people want to think that there are cineplexes, ice cream parlors and moon pet grooming salons on the moon, heck, let them believe! For if they were to find out the truth, let's say that is the moon is nothing more than rocks and dust, well what's the interest in that outside of science and astronomy? Not enough to pay the bills.

Crud. Wait a second, did I just accuse them of a reverse conspiracy? OMG! Hmm, I wonder if I can be the father of that one, the first anti-conspiracy conspiracy of the moon!

however because more than likely the objects there are infact artifacts we will never see those new pictures until they are leaked or accidentally looked over by one of nasas under talented shoddy photoshop workers.

Oh,oh, more more, maybe the shoddy photoshop work is part of the reverse conspiracy! They make it look bad on purpose SO people think there's stuff hiding under there!

I'm on to something!

No - maybe I'm on something!

(I can't wait to see the pictures, either)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
*blink* I'm confused. Why go to all the trouble to fix the hubble then start looking inwards instead of outwards? I simply drool over those deep field pics even getting them matted, framed, and hung up on my walls.

Me too, all my desktop backgrounds are always different deep field images. It makes us look so tiny and our day to day petty human issues seem so insignificant.

If it's okay with the OP, I'd like to include a link to this thread on my successful, albeit embarassing, Apollo 11 Babies thread.

Cool with me

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloist

Originally posted by Brettray

I just don't picture them too concerned with the theories, or debunking them for that matter. Heck, if anything (and it's a stretch) I would think it would be better for their budgets to let people go hog wild with them to keep public interest in the program.

What I'm saying is if people want to think that there are cineplexes, ice cream parlors and moon pet grooming salons on the moon, heck, let them believe! For if they were to find out the truth, let's say that is the moon is nothing more than rocks and dust, well what's the interest in that outside of science and astronomy? Not enough to pay the bills.

Crud. Wait a second, did I just accuse them of a reverse conspiracy? OMG! Hmm, I wonder if I can be the father of that one, the first anti-conspiracy conspiracy of the moon!

Oh,oh, more more, maybe the shoddy photoshop work is part of the reverse conspiracy! They make it look bad on purpose SO people think there's stuff hiding under there!

I'm on to something!

No - maybe I'm on something!

(I can't wait to see the pictures, either)

its not like reverse conspiracies arent being practiced ever.
you do pose a good point there.
i dont understand why the secrecy has to be there anyway.
eventally something will happen in the future and when it does... all credibility nasa and the gov't and the military may have built up will be lost.
im just waiting for the day

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join