It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chocolate, shoes, Spam.....Recession proof items?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It's interesting to see what is holding it's on and even thriving during this recession.

www.usatoday.com...

Sales of chocolate and running shoes are up. Wine drinkers haven't stopped sipping; they just seem to be choosing cheaper vintages. GARDENING: Recession grows interest in seeds SURVEY: Americans reclassifying luxury, necessity CONDOM SALES: Recession seems to put people in the mood Gold coins are selling like hot cakes. So are gardening seeds. Tanning products are piling up in shopping carts; maybe more people are finding color in a bottle than from sun-worshipping on a faraway beach.

Profits in the first three months of 2009 at Hershey Co., the nation's second-largest candy maker, surged 20% and beat Wall Street's expectations. Kraft Foods Inc. reported double-digit growth in macaroni and cheese dinners — the consummate comfort food. Recessions, it seems, are good for love, too. Over the final three months of 2008, condom sales rose 5% and Match.com reported its strongest performance in seven years

Which has me asking, what have you given up or "traded down" to in this new
and worrying economy? I have found myself looking to Ebay and the Dollar Store for deals on certain items.

Maybe you have some tips of how to save or bargains that you know of to share with your fellow ATS'ers.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Another way to look at this would be what do you refuse to bargain with?
No matter the cost?

Personally, I have certain beauty products and shampoos that I still pay
a higher price for even though my logical side says there are cheaper
ones that are probably just as good.

I've also found that store brand items are usually just as good as the
brand names but I refuse to buy a store brand tuna cause to me, they
smell and taste like cat food!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Well I increased my veggie garden this year and planted more herbs.

We are making do with things instead of buying new. Yard sales are a good way to make some money. We did pretty well this last weekend. I've never been one to pay full price for anything so nothing new about waiting for sales. I use coupons to help save money and combine trips so cut gas use. A nickel here a dime there it all adds up.

You would be amazed at the great deals to be found at thrift stores many times clothes will still have the price tag on.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
IF things really do get seriously bad, anyone with knowledge of how to fix vehicles or house problems will be valued. Also anyone who knows and has the resources to grow crops.

It's interesting chocolate and wine top the list though, it's funny how we deal with our problems eh?

Also, if you had the ability to generate excess amount of power, I am sure you could get some trades going with your neighbors in exchange for electricity.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by king9072]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

Good points. I live in a condo and there is no where I can plant a garden
but I would love to have one. They (the association) won't even let us one of those upside down tomato planters hanging from the porch.

It's interesting chocolate and wine top the list though, it's funny how we deal with our problems eh?

True, King9072. We all need a "treat" as it were to get through the hard times.
One thing I would never sacrifice (hopefully) would be cutting back
from DSL to dial up. Yes, it would be cheaper, but the aggravation just wouldn't be worth the savings.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I did a thread awhile back on the recession proof spam.

The sad thing is people think that they are buying cheap but per pound its more expensive than steak.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Now that you mention it, you are right. But, I've never liked spam in the
first place.
But, I have to admit, I do like my chocolate and wine.

Just not at the same time.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaydie

Ahh but a good rich port and dark chocolate...

Now that's decadence.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

LOL, what a great way to get though the recession.
Does Mogen David count as a rich Port?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaydie
It's interesting to see what is holding it's on and even thriving during this recession.

www.usatoday.com...

Sales of chocolate and running shoes are up. Wine drinkers haven't stopped sipping; they just seem to be choosing cheaper vintages. GARDENING: Recession grows interest in seeds SURVEY: Americans reclassifying luxury, necessity CONDOM SALES: Recession seems to put people in the mood Gold coins are selling like hot cakes. So are gardening seeds. Tanning products are piling up in shopping carts; maybe more people are finding color in a bottle than from sun-worshipping on a faraway beach.

Profits in the first three months of 2009 at Hershey Co., the nation's second-largest candy maker, surged 20% and beat Wall Street's expectations. Kraft Foods Inc. reported double-digit growth in macaroni and cheese dinners — the consummate comfort food. Recessions, it seems, are good for love, too. Over the final three months of 2008, condom sales rose 5% and Match.com reported its strongest performance in seven years

Which has me asking, what have you given up or "traded down" to in this new
and worrying economy? I have found myself looking to Ebay and the Dollar Store for deals on certain items.

Maybe you have some tips of how to save or bargains that you know of to share with your fellow ATS'ers.

I agree with that all except the tanning products. People are buying more tanning products because it is getting nicer out and it's summer time..

Around the time for highschool dances and what not so everybody tans then.

Just my thought

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaydie

Fortunately no it doesn't.

A nice tawny port and dark chocolate with a chili pepper jelly center is to die for.

I could survive the great recession on that easily.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Things we have given up, meat, it is too expensive. $130 in groceries, and the only meat we get is hamburger and I do get good roast beef lunch meat. No more steaks, pork chops , chicken etc unless on sale like buy one get one free.

We now order our cigarettes out of state from a indian tribe in NM to save money.

I can not give up internet . Can not give up water delivery.

We no longer goto the dog park, takes too much gas. They do not get all the treats they used to get, but still get high quality dog food. They eat better than us. I will not give up the extra I pay for good dog food it will be paying for it in vet bills later.

Truth is as a one income family there is not anything to give up, yet taxes and prices keep getting higher. We can not loose the house or we will be a family of 3 and 9 pets living in a one bedroom apartment, because that is what we can afford if we did, and what our mortgage cost , that is what we would get for the same in rent.

Also have given up clothing. Have not bought clothes in a year. No money for them.

Chocolate? Yeah still buy that!! I think our family alone has made for the increase in the sales of chocolate,lol

[edit on 19-5-2009 by amatrine]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here's what did it for me.

I use to eat tombstone pizza's all the time they went from 3 to 3.25 a week later 3.50 2 weeks after that 3.75 a couple months after that 4 and still holding there as of now.

I decide it's not worth that much so I just eat the cheappy dollar pizza's a week after that 1.25 now 1.50 sorry their not worth a buck 50 especially when you can get macaroni and cheese on sale between 0.25-0.30 a box. The cheap tv dinners a buck each, pot pies for 0.88 or rice-a-roni for pretty cheap too.

Then there's the styrofoam cups of soup (can't remember the brand name) for 0.30 each or even cheaper if you buy them in bulk. Candy hasn't gone up very much so chances are the reason chocolate is popular.

Foot long subs at subway cheaper than a standard meal at mcdonalds. Heck I went to Maui a while back ago dreading the cost there. Turned out the McDonalds there was cheaper than state side (that was just plain strange).

With nearly no one getting raises and a good portion getting pay cuts, just being glad to have a job in some area's, gas insidiously creeping up again, rent raising around the country, gas and electric slightly up well could keep going but it only makes sense these companies gain large profits because their products right now are considered cheap and worth the money as opposed to say a $400 Gordan Ramsey Pizza.

Food where I'm at including pop has rose between 25%-100% and on top of it had no raise this year sense I work for the state which is usually about2-3% so no way I'm paying those prices for food. I'll just live like I did when I was extremely poor living from dollar to dollar and never passing up a free meal.

For me I have plenty of money but I'm not about to waste it on what I feel are bad deals as I didn't make my money by spending it, I made it by saving it.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Good feedback, thanks everyone.

At the same time that I'm trying to cut back on groceries using coupons etc,
I am also stocking up on items that will keep well just in case TSHTF and
because prices keep going up and up. I have to buy the expensive TP,
but I did buy some mid grade just to have in case of emergencies. One
thing you don't want to run out of if martial law goes into effect and you
can't get to the store is TP. lol
I also try to buy a gallon of water each time I shop.
And, I am also buying the cheaper ciggs and put them away "for hard times".

new topics

top topics

join