It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few dozen quotes of religious conspiracy! “If it weren’t for you, Jesus, I’d be an atheist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Yes that’s what I told Him last night…props to you young skeptical minds on ATS…you atheists have really given OT so much to think about these last few years…I been debating you smart folks for over 4 years now…and I’m a better husband, father, believer because of it. You have taught me to think critically and to question all things….to deny ignorance….you should see my adult children run…., “oh dad, please no more of that conspiracy website stuff,” they say…ha ha! Alright to the subject at hand….my relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ is NOT a religion….heck, there’s a new religion started every month….He’s real to me, like Chronicles of Narnia Author C.S. Lewis says, “A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. “

I think we are just SO busy these days, as long ago Winston Churchill said, “Men occasionally stumbles over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened,” that we miss opportunities…

When I was younger I realized, “The loneliest moment in life is when you have just experienced that which you thought would deliver the ultimate, and it has just let you down. “ Ravi Zacharias was on to something!

And as the original scientist Galileo has said, “I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect had intended for us to forgo their use. We can deal intellectually…

I’m reminded of Dante Gabriel Rossetti who observed, “The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful, and has nobody to thank. “ Very sad to OT….

And what about the brevity of life my young skeptics? William Murray relayed…” Humanism or atheism is a wonderful philosophy of life as long as you are big, strong, and between the ages of eighteen and thirty-five. But watch out if you are in a lifeboat and there are others who are younger, bigger, or smarter. “ Food for thought there…

And to my young mathematicians….how about a little regression analysis? Y is a function of X right? ”Absent an absolute moral authority independent of fallible humans, the only meaning “wrong” could have (pertaining to conduct) would be “in opposition to X,” or “falling short of X’s standards,” which are only persuasive to those who have already accepted X. “ Sounds ‘probable’ to OT, Calvin Freiburger….kinda like the “predicted Y” darn could get the ^ on top of the Y…

And what about a little pop/soda/coke as a philosophy for life? Maybe He’s “the real thing”? Mr. Douglas Wilson asks a refreshing question…aahhhhh… “If there is no God, then all that exists is time and chance acting on matter. If this is true then the difference between your thoughts and mine correspond to the difference between shaking up a bottle of Mountain Dew and a bottle of Dr. Pepper. You simply fizz atheistically and I fizz theistically. This means that you do not hold to atheism because it is true , but rather because of a series of chemical reactions… … Morality, tragedy, and sorrow are equally evanescent. They are all empty sensations created by the chemical reactions of the brain, in turn created by too much pizza the night before. If there is no God, then all abstractions are chemical epiphenomena, like swamp gas over fetid water. This means that we have no reason for assigning truth and falsity to the chemical fizz we call reasoning or right and wrong to the irrational reaction we call morality. If no God, mankind is a set of bi-pedal carbon units of mostly water. And nothing else. “

And OT, why do you bury your head from all the bad things supposed Christians did? Good question, let’s refer to Mr Tumnis’s creator… “My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? If the whole show was bad and senseless from A to Z, so to speak, why did I, who was supposed to be part of the show, find myself in such a violent reaction against it?... Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if i did that, then my argument against God collapsed too--for the argument depended on saying the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my fancies. Thus, in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist - in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless - I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality - namely my idea of justice - was full of sense. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never have known it was dark. Dark would be without meaning. “ C.S. Lewis

And what about the man that ended slavery, surely he could help us? Abraham Lincoln observed, “I can see how it might be possible for someone to look around on earth and not believe in God, but I cannot conceive how anyone could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.?” Yeah science can tell us how to do many things, but it cannot tell us what ought to be done. “If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents - the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else's. But if their thoughts - i.e., Materialism and Astronomy - are mere accidental by-products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give me a correct account of all the other accidents. It's like expecting the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milk-jug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset. “ Another great from the liar, lunatic lord guy!

I believe, “The greatest act of faith takes place when a man finally decides that he is not God.” as Johann Wolfgang Goethe penned so long ago….

My idol, killed in the holocaust, Dietrich Bonheoffer said, “If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.” Lotta wisdom there, cho cho! I think the proper perspective is to ask as Aaron Arrowsmith did, “A heathen philosopher once asked a Christian, 'Where is God'? The Christian answered, 'Let me first ask you, Where is He not?'”

Back to probability OT…“Someone once said that if you sat a million monkeys at a million typewriters for a million years, one of them would eventually type out all of Hamlet by chance. But when we find the text of Hamlet, we don't wonder whether it came from chance and monkeys. Why then does the atheist use that incredibly improbable explanation for the universe? Clearly, because it is his only chance of remaining an atheist. At this point we need a psychological explanation of the atheist rather than a logical explanation of the universe.” Credit Peter Kreeft, there for the monkey business!!

You see, “If God were small enough to be understood, He would not be big enough to be worshiped. Evelyn Underhill has got it right…

And could Robert A. Laidlaw be on to something? I dunno? He said “God exists whether or not men may choose to believe in Him. The reason why many people do not believe in God is not so much that it is intellectually impossible to believe in God, but because belief in God forces that thoughtful person to face the fact that he is accountable to such a God. “

Or what about Vox Day….this is harsh, not my words, so no flaming, ok?…let’s discuss it… “Still, even the most admirable of atheists is nothing more than a moral parasite, living his life based on borrowed ethics. This is why, when pressed, the atheist will often attempt to hide his lack of conviction in his own beliefs behind some poorly formulated utilitarianism, or argue that he acts out of altruistic self-interest. But this is only post-facto rationalization, not reason or rational behavior.”

It is true, though, that…”Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.” - Heywood Broun.

And OT what about other famous folks in history? Do they have anything to say about G-d?

Ralph Waldo Emerson—The unique impression of Jesus upon mankind—whose name is not so
much written as ploughed into the history of the world—is proof of the subtle virtue of this infusion.
Augustine—Christ is not valued at all unless He be valued above all.

Robert Louis Stevenson—When Christ came into my life, I came about like a well-handled ship.

Lew Wallace—After six years given to the impartial investigation of Christianity, as to its
truth or falsity, I have come to the deliberate conclusion that Jesus Christ was the Messiah of
the Jews, the Savior of the world, and my personal Savior.

H. G. Wells—The Galilean has been too great for our small hearts.

Malcolm Muggeridge—The coming of Jesus into the world is the most stupendous event in
human history…. [and] ... What is unique about Jesus is that, on the testimony and in the experience
of innumerable people, of all sorts and conditions, of all races and nationalities from the
simplest and most primitive to the most sophisticated and cultivated, he remains alive…. That the
Resurrection happened… seems to be indubitably true…. Either Jesus never was or he still is…. 18

Albert Einstein—I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene.

Sir Lionell Luckhoo—I have spent more than forty-two years as a defense trial lawyer appearing
in many parts of the world.... I say unequivocally the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ is
so overwhelming that it compels acceptance by proof which leaves absolutely no doubt.19

Quote page source: christianquotes.org...
= = = = = =
A few pre-requisites:
1) All are entailed to their beliefs or disbeliefs
2) No flaming please-it’s OK to agree to disagree

A few questions for readers to respond to…
1) What quotes do you agree with? And why?
2) What quotes do you disagree with? And why?
3) What is it that got you to the current level of faith or lack there of?
4) Thoughts on this pdf.? joshmcdowellmedia.org...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
((((((((((((OT))))))))))) I have nothing to add to your awesome post ........except that you are LOVED ..
And I adore you (not as in I want to worship you lol ) but your a fresh light everyday here at ATS (even though you have been here forever) ever since I joined up you certainly light up my life (and my faith) just because you are ...well ...YOU ...and there is certainly NO ONE even similar to who you are my friend ...KEEP BEING YOU OKAY >.......your a real BLESSING to all .............
may the LORD BLESS YOU EACH AND EVERYDAY ........tenfold ............twentyfold .......

I love you ...God loves you and ATS loves you

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
((((((((((((OT))))))))))) I have nothing to add to your awesome post ........except that you are LOVED ..
And I adore you (not as in I want to worship you lol ) but your a fresh light everyday here at ATS (even though you have been here forever) ever since I joined up you certainly light up my life (and my faith) just because you are ...well ...YOU ...and there is certainly NO ONE even similar to who you are my friend ...KEEP BEING YOU OKAY >.......your a real BLESSING to all .............
may the LORD BLESS YOU EACH AND EVERYDAY ........tenfold ............twentyfold .......

I love you ...God loves you and ATS loves you

my fellow BRONZE madam!!!!

Thank you for the post....you too have done great things here on ATS....what a great place huh?

OT

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

Not sure about god loving him ,cause I don't believe in a god.
Edit to add: that may seem rude, if there is a god theoretically, i'm sure he loves you man.

But dmmt! ATS loves you, I always look gleefully at your post, I won't turn it into a debate or bash. It was a fun read I tell ya!

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Republican08]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Simplynoone, don't know if you have seen things lately, the skeptics/atheists/whatever title have been kinda rough on the ole guy...

Man have I been challenged!!!!!

Great quotes for sure on the OP....lots a wisdom there .... Things OK for you?

OT

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

why's that my young conservative?

OT

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't.

Jules Renard (1864 - 1910)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Bravo! I am ever in search of people who can put into words the things I can barely percieve but know to be true.
I have found such a person today.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapter29

I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't.

Jules Renard (1864 - 1910)

I guess "perceptive" is one's "reality"

Thanks for the post!

OT

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tyler 720

Bravo! I am ever in search of people who can put into words the things I can barely percieve but know to be true.
I have found such a person today.

T!!!!!

What's up?

Hope all is well.....

Glad you joined ATS....so many great minds here...some who don't believe....

We're all in this together....search for meaning....

Thoughts on any of the quotes....?

OT

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I have read your post in different areas and have admired you.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by liveandlearn]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

OT

I won't get into a debate over it, just congratulating you on an excellent thread, thinking about it I shouldn't have put that in there at all. Excellent thread, and excellent post all around the site.

link   
I found another great pdf....

here... joshmcdowellmedia.org...

Evidence...all must evaluate...

OT

link   
I Love Jesus Too, Im a believer and I think the nature itself bears witness to God as a creator. How can we account for all the things around us that we see and experience, the birds, the rocks, the trees, the stars? There can be effect without a cause, no book without an author,no creation without a creator, we look at the world about us and see a vast machine which is perfect working order, the nature reveals the existence of God,God is one there is a plurality of persons, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost, then if you want to know God, you must get acquainted with Jesus Christ. If you want to come to the Father you need to get the Son in your heart, Jesus Christ, God Bless You.

Edit for All Caps.

Please Review This Link: ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette

[edit on Mon, 18 May 2009 19:32:52 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn

I have read your post in different areas and have admired you.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I'm reminded of Casting Crowns song....

Who am I?
That the Lord of all the earth,
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt.
Who am I?
That the bright and morning star,
Would choose to light the way,
For my ever wandering heart.

Bridge:
Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are.

Chorus:
I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And you've told me who I am.
I am yours.
I am yours.

Who am I?
That the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
And watch me rise again.
Who am I?
That the voice that calmed the sea,
Would call out through the rain,
And calm the storm in me.

Not because of who I am,

A vapor in the wind.
I am yours.

Not because of who I am,

A vapor in the wind.
I am yours.
I am yours.

Whom shall I fear
Whom shall I fear
I am yours..
I am yours..

Sweet video here... www.last.fm...

Enjoy....

OT

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I have never been accused of being educated, and I humbly admit I have a great deal to learn. The closest thing to an argument for God I have is "You might as well believe, You don't have anything to lose".

The quote by Galileo is most interesting to me. For such a great man of science to believe in the posibility of God is all I need to believe that science and religion have more in common than most think.

I seem to have limitations in the retention of information and the ability to communicate my thoughts efectively, that is why I am very pleased when someone can put all of my thoughts and feelings together with quotes from educated people.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

OT

I won't get into a debate over it, just congratulating you on an excellent thread, thinking about it I shouldn't have put that in there at all. Excellent thread, and excellent post all around the site.

Yes, no prob Republican08....there will be enough, coming along soon enough....

when you have time please see... joshmcdowellmedia.org...

I'm here to discuss if you would like....

I so appreciate your posts and glad you are here...enjoy the site....so much to learn here...

OT

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Simplynoone, don't know if you have seen things lately, the skeptics/atheists/whatever title have been kinda rough on the ole guy...

OT

I know ...you just keep up the good work OT .....pray (we are all praying with you and for you just know that ) ..take some deep breaths ...get a breath of sunshine and jump right back in (like you do) because I know some at least have some things to THINK ABOUT ..thanks to you ...remember dear friend ....some are just seed planters ...another waters and God gives the increase ..you just never know how many seeds have been planted and taken root and who all you have touched ..many read and dont reply ....I am pretty sure that you have reached way more than you think you have ...how can anyone NOT be touched by such a sweet spirit as yours ............if nothing else you certainly have showed LOVE and shown them respect .and that is something people have a hard time doing ..loving the unlovable >>.(they shut people out so much they wont let anyone even close enough to love them) but you have broken into their hearts and showed them that you have love (which is what GOD is) so you have already done your part dear one ..just by continuing to love them all ...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tyler 720
.....I am very pleased when someone can put all of my thoughts and feelings together with quotes from educated people.

Yeah, that is comforting!!!!!!

These quotes (and what I know about their lives, from history...and their impact) also has helped OT get it all straight...

Thanks again!!!!

OT

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone

OT

I know ...you just keep up the good work OT .....pray (we are all praying with you and for you just know that ) ..take some deep breaths ...get a breath of sunshine and jump right back in (like you do) because I know some at least have some things to THINK ABOUT....

wow!

today I had a 8 hour drive from the mid west to the east coast....

it was beautiful....and I enjoyed the sunshine, the good sports radio, and the day thinking about my next thread...I'm glad you said that...

It was good....hopefully some of the skeptics will come along....I'm really interested in their thoughts....these quotes and the wisdom revealed are UNDENIABLE, huh?

OT

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join