It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economy limiting services of local police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Economy limiting services of local police

www.usatoday.com

The recession is altering local law enforcement in the U.S. by forcing some agencies to close precincts, merge with other departments or even shut down.

Once largely spared from the deepest budget cuts, some police departments are struggling to provide basic services, police officials say.

"For the first time, because of the economy, police departments ... may have to change how they do business," says Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.infowars.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Flint, Michigan: Government Considering Abandoning Parts of City, Cutting Off Police & Fire Service
International Experts Foresee Collapse of U.S. Economy

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This article just confirms what many of us have been saying for a while now: law enforcement will eventually suffer from the global meltdown.

There will be longer police response times, decreased police presence, and another thing this article fails to mention: the impact of technology on law enforcement as well. By this I mean increased camera surveillance, automated robots, mini-UAVs, and more.

This will mean more people will be in jeopardy and crime may increase from multiple angles. Less police presence and impossible economic conditions will be incentives for more people to commit crimes than ever before.

So where do out of work law enforcement officers go? To the next county over?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
thats part of the planned economic collapse, supposedly.

what other choice will the gub'ment have but to declare martial law where local policing fails?

its okay, they're from the government and they're here to help....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Another issue this raises is that local police, operating with less officers, will be forced to triage the crimes they respond to. Robberies may get lowered on the list, or not responded to at all.

And yet still another issue: which officers get cut? The newbies? The highest paid? Those not in collusion with the NWO? Just some things to think about...

And then there is also the issue that people may be forced to take justice into their own hands when police do not respond. More neighborhood watch organizations will probably spring up.

[edit on Mon May 18th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

one solution is to deputize a volunteer force.

that way we get to keep our guns.

this is how law worked on the frontier, which is a sitch some communities may face with limited police services.

guess who wont think thats such a great idea? but it is the american way.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DohBama

Well yeah, that's an option, but with so many people out of work, who can afford to volunteer their services for free?

And I'm not sure how you equate this to us keeping our guns?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The consolidation of law enforcement. The next step towards a police state. Soon, the FBI and CIA will assume control of all local law enforcement, under the guise of it being the only fiscally responsible way to do it. Just you watch.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

This was all discussed last year when all of this began. California and New York were among those already stating that services will suffer as the economic crisis deepens.

This was used as more evidence for an expected social meltdown/disorder situation.

It should be no surprise that when budgets shrink and local economies suffer, local authorities and public services are one of the first things to be affected.

Unemployment means lower tax income, lower tax income means services suffer, poorer services means higher crime and social instability.

The real problem lies in how well they manage this. They should be laying off pointless local government staff and using that money to train another officer. They need to minimize government and be incredibly more efficient, and use the money saved to keep vital services running. I don't know if they are doing this, but I highly doubt that they are.

I dare say New York will become what it was in the 60's and 70's; crime-ridden and out of control.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Another issue this raises is that local police, operating with less officers, will be forced to triage the crimes they respond to. Robberies may get lowered on the list, or not responded to at all.

[edit on Mon May 18th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

I can guarantee you one thing: drug crimes will continue to suck up a disgusting amount of the law enforcement dollars out there.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
I can guarantee you one thing: drug crimes will continue to suck up a disgusting amount of the law enforcement dollars out there.

No doubt, and yeah it is disgusting. One solution to that might be to decriminalize some drugs and release from prison the people convicted on those charges. That would lessen the strain on the system somewhat.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Not my local Police Department, the economy just has them out in full force handing out speeding and equipment and seat belt violations night and day at 103.00 per pop. My 1 square mile incorporated part of Miami Beach has it's 24 member police force handing out an average of 150 tickets per day for $15,450.00 in revenue.

Sounds more like a Crime Syndicate to me, they are doing quite well in this economy.

The people they are supposed to protect and serve...well they couldn't do that in the best of economic times with all that money to be made.

Crime sure pays for some people, just go ask the Police.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Considering how much it costs to train a police officer these days, you'd think they would be going out their way to keep them in some sort of capacity.

I know a few police officers who have left the police service voluntarily for alternative careers due to the stress and they were by no means alone.
A lot of them are leaving.

But each year the cost of training replacements gets more expensive.

Wonder if they are offered other government jobs or are just left to find alternative employment until the economy improves?
The last would be tricky, as there would be no guarantees that they would want to go back once settled in an alternative job/career.

I've also often wondered if the grinding down of the police service is to make way for private security companies to take over?
They are paid through private funds rather than coming from public money.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It's stories like this that make me glad that I stocked up on ammo and own several guns. In Mississippi where I live we have the castle law that states if anyone breaks into your home, you can take them out. It's laws like this that will help maintain order when the SHTF.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Well yeah, that's an option, but with so many people out of work, who can afford to volunteer their services for free?

And I'm not sure how you equate this to us keeping our guns?

under declared martial law, i do believe citizens must be disarmed.

even unemployed citizens have family and property to defend.

if crime runs rampant, people will show up to be sworn in at the sheriffs office.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

No doubt, and yeah it is disgusting. One solution to that might be to decriminalize some drugs and release from prison the people convicted on those charges. That would lessen the strain on the system somewhat.

Well, with drug laws now tied into Patriot Act/ National Securities laws, I highly doubt that will happen.

Nearly 50% of all incarcerations in the U.S. right now are drug related, and nearly 75% of all those in the "system" have a drug related charge on their record.

Of those, only 28% are white. www.drugwarfacts.org...

It's too easy a way to perpetuate poverty. It's not going to stop, even though it sucks the majority of our law enforcement resources.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mudman21
It's stories like this that make me glad that I stocked up on ammo and own several guns. In Mississippi where I live we have the castle law that states if anyone breaks into your home, you can take them out. It's laws like this that will help maintain order when the SHTF.

we recently in ohio, restored our castle laws.

sure had the liberals here hopping mad, our gov is a dem they voted for! (against a black republican, of course...)

criminals demand a safe work environment, and armed homeowners put criminals at risk.

who are the champions of criminal types everywhere?

hopping mad, which was worth passing the bill alone for! ha ha!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

criminals demand a safe work environment, and armed homeowners put criminals at risk.

And what do you suppose homeowners are going to do when they realize that there are half the police there used to be on the streets or that can respond to home invasion calls?

BUY GUNS.

In fact, castle laws may become an absolute necessity in every state with downsizing law enforcement everywhere.

Of course that also means there will be more unemployed cops at their houses...

And this in turn will cause criminals not to just enter a home, but shoot everyone there just to be on the safe side.

I was never one for the insane militarization of the police, but on the same token, I never said they should downsize the force either...

top topics

join