It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galactic Center of milky way [Video]

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
It's really a shame that the majority of our population never gets to experience this because of the light polution in cities. I'll be sure to make a trip out of town one of these warm summer nights to go see it for myself.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that video is a fraud. I've been out several nights looking at the stars, looking in particular to get some photos and videos of the Galactic Center, and I have been out in the middle of nowhere so that no other lights would stop me from getting some great footage, but there is no Galactic Center to see especially to the SSE, at least not from the state of Kansas in the USA.

Texas it not that much farther south and my brothers live down in the Dallas, Texas area and they are in an area where they can see the stars very well at night also, and they have not seen the Galactic Center either.

AS a matter of fact none of you have gotten videos or photos of the Galactic Center either, and none of you have seen it with your naked eye. So... I'm pretty sure that the video is a fraud, unless one or more of you can go outside and get a video.

GO out and try to prove me wrong, but do it without lying or cheating.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
AS a matter of fact none of you have gotten videos or photos of the Galactic Center either, and none of you have seen it with your naked eye. So... I'm pretty sure that the video is a fraud, unless one or more of you can go outside and get a video.

GO out and try to prove me wrong, but do it without lying or cheating.

Excuse me sir? I posted this before on this thread, so are you accusing me of lying or cheating?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d6873b5cef54.jpg[/atsimg]
I took this image myself from the middle of Florida. You can see the galactic center just fine from here; I've even seen it naked eye from Chiefland, in the northern part of the state in line with Texas. What you failed to account for is the change in seasons; the galactic center is only visible during certain times of the year. You could see it right now, but not in the early evening. It rises with the constellation Sagittarius later at night, and doesn't get high enough in the sky until after midnight. Just because you failed to find it does not mean that everyone else is lying or cheating.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
very interesting images, nice video

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue May 26 2009 by Jbird]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

You must be a "lot" further south, because I have seen nothing and I have looked and looked well after midnight, as a matter of fact I have been looking all night long for several nights and I have seen nothing. I have been out all night long for two reasons, (1) to video the galactic center, and (2) to kill whatever has been killing my calves. There is nothing to be seen here in Kansas of the Galactic Center.

Has anyone else seen what others are saying you/they have photographed?

Are you filming to the South South East like was stated earlier?

[edit on 26-5-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You must be a "lot" further south,

Well, I'm not; that photograph was taken at a latitude just north of Corpus Christi, Texas and I've seen this sight from even farther north in the same latitude as houston.

because I have seen nothing and I have looked and looked well after midnight, as a matter of fact I have been looking all night long for several nights and I have seen nothing.

Then either your light pollution environment or eyesight must be to blame because it's definately out there after midnight.

Are you filming to the South South East like was stated earlier?

I took the picture to the south west because that's where sagittarius was at the time. If you look just after midnight sagitarrius should be to your south east.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I don't need to look no futher ngchunter, at least not at this time, because as I have told you I have been looking and there is nothing to see from this lattitude.

If you saw some of it in Houston, Texas; then you are still a 12 hour drive at 70 mph to the south, which is 840 miles to the south. Here in Kansas there is still nothing to see of the Galactic Center.

So... if you folks want to take pictures of the Galactic Center, then you had better be at least as far south as Houston, Texas or you won't be seeing much, if anything right now. That must be why there are very few people photographing the Galactic Center.

My eyes work perfectly by the way ngchunter, and Thanks for letting all of us know how far south a person needs to be in order to see the Galactic Center at this point in time, which is the end of May, 2009.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

If you saw some of it in Houston, Texas; then you are still a 12 hour drive at 70 mph to the south, which is 840 miles to the south. Here in Kansas there is still nothing to see of the Galactic Center.

You said your friend in texas also couldn't see it either. And by my star charts, yes you can see sagittarius just fine from Kansas. Everything will just be shifted 10 degrees lower than they are at texas latitudes. According to fourmilab's sky map though, that means Sagittarius is still completely visible to your location, provided you can see down to the horizon:
www.fourmilab.ch...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I'm probably at a similar latitude and according the star map for which you've included a link and Sagittarius is within viewing range just at the very edge of the horizon, exactly south east. This is the direction we best see the Milky Way but will probably have to venture out away from the light sources to give it try. Thanks for the link.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It's really too bad we cant see it like that with a naked eye. I'm sure it would really make a difference as to how people would view the cosmos. People would probably have a much different mind set if they could look up and see that every night.

Great find S&F

[edit on 27-5-2009 by DaMod]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Wow...astonishing what you can see when the lights are turned out! Great find, a star my friend

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yeah it would be great! I have a 5" Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain. Still I have to travel to get far enough away from the light filled areas.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Wow nice!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome video, let's flag this thread!!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Yes it's a great image, but please be reminded... We have the flag and star system (and u2u's) for giving personal props.

From the Boss....

Originally posted by SimonGray
One Line or less Responses or "me too" atta-boy comments contribute nothing to the discussion. These include rows of smilies, "you're wrong", or other similar short responses.
Please help keep ATS quality at its highest...

Your attention to this matter will be appreciated

[edit on Wed May 27 2009 by Jbird]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join