learn more

Galactic Center of milky way [Video]

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
That is breath takeing!!!

I'll be seeing the very same at the end of this month. On the 24th I'm leaving for a 3 week vacation across the country. One of the things I'll be doing is going out to the middle of the desert just to see the night sky.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
That is beautiful, I watched it like 93 times.
So into the dark rift we go?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Where can I buy a camera like this? The specs say it was modified so I'm not sure where I would start

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by genma

It was modified by taking the IR filter out of the camera. That increases its sensitivity to red hydrogen alpha nebulae. This isn't essential to getting milky way images, but it does make them prettier. My image was shot with an unmodified Canon XTi. You can purchase ready-made modified Canon cameras from Hutech:
www.sciencecenter.net...
(they'll also modify your camera for you if you have one, it's not recommended that you attempt it yourself as a mistake can leave you with a broken camera very easily).

[edit on 20-5-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Simply breath taking. Thanks for sharing this with us. It's always wonderful to view something that is both awe inspiring and humbling at the same time. Star for you.

---hunger

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
I didn't realize you could see things like that without telescopes!

I need to get out of the city!

go to door county wi u can see all the stuff on the sky by night

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Thanks so much for the explanation and link, much appreciated.
Another great addition to an amazing thread.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
Thought I would post a pic of the center here on the thread...

Coutesy of astrosurf.com

Look how many stars are in that pic........It makes the background almost white and blocks out most black.....Thats how many stars are just in that portion of just our galaxy.

And considering how many galaxies there are it's ignorant to think we are alone.

But besides that, that pic and the Video are amazing and one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed.

Star and flag for you.... I'd give you 500 if I could.

And yes sometimes less is more.

Question:

If we are heading towards the center, does that mean we will be in balance?

And if balance is the key to everything then would we not be closer to being our true selves?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 420prajna
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

I'm pretty sure it is impossible to see the center of the Milky Way from Earth

We just saw it though and if you watched the video and looked at the pic, then you just saw it .

How do you explain that?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 420prajna
reply to post by jkrog08

Oh ok, I see what you are saying...we are looking towards the Center, but not seeing the core...

Just got that too....Sry for last post then.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valkyr8
That is breath takeing!!!

I'll be seeing the very same at the end of this month. On the 24th I'm leaving for a 3 week vacation across the country. One of the things I'll be doing is going out to the middle of the desert just to see the night sky.

Sounds like a good idea

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Amazing! That was so cool, thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

I've just checked out cameras here at work and none of them have the ability to set the shutter speed

Looks like I'll have to buy a nice camera afterall. But still, at least then I'll have a nice camera

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So the whole theory about 2012 and earth at the galactic center is a great big lie or severe misunderstanding ... right?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Can someone please help me?

This morning from 2:30am until 4:30am I was photographing a very strange object in the sky. It appeared to be a red star, so I went inside and got my camera, my best zoom lens and a tripod. I shot approximately 60 pictures of the sky (about 30 of this object). The object remained stationary the entire time other than the typical movement of the heavens throughout the night sky due to the Earth's rotation. I have been examining these pictures all day and this thing defies explanation as far as I can tell. I blew up one of the pictures of this thing and found that it is in fact accompanied by two spheres one is red and one is gray and another unidentifiable object. I tried to start a post to ask for you people's opinion as to what it was; however the files are too large.

I am a psychologist not a photographer (that is a hobby) and I have no idea how to make the image sizes smaller. Can anyone help me out with some advice?

These were taken with a digital Nikon SLR using a Nikkor 70-300 zoom. I used a tripod and my shutter speed was 1 and 3 seconds. I am absolutely certain that if I am somehow able to get these uploaded to the site, that you people will be shocked and amazed. This is like nothing I have ever seen in my life.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

[edit on 5/21/2009 by DarrylGalasso]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarrylGalasso
Can someone please help me?

This morning from 2:30am until 4:30am I was photographing a very strange object in the sky. It appeared to be a red star, so I went inside and got my camera, my best zoom lens and a tripod. I shot approximately 60 pictures of the sky (about 30 of this object). The object remained stationary the entire time other than the typical movement of the heavens throughout the night sky due to the Earth's rotation.

Sounds like antares. I'd love to get my hands on the original images to see how much they could processed through stacking, though at 1-2 seconds I don't know how much contextual information the images will have in terms of other stars. The number of images is promising; did you happen to save them in a raw format? I'd load all the similar images of the star into deep sky stacker and stack them to see what you can get out of it:
deepskystacker.free.fr...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DarrylGalasso

check your
U2U inbox.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

That looks incredible, so beautiful...

the video put everything in perspective... the place our little planet plays in the grand scheme of things.

star and flag along with many thanks.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
one of the most amazing things ive seen. Great vid!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Living in Hollywood, California I would be lucky if I saw more then a dozen stars in the sky at any given night. Light pollution here is at an all time high.

This is truly stunning.

[edit on 5/25/2009 by Beast4rmDaEast]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join