learn more

Galactic Center of milky way [Video]

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

But that is one of the greatest mysteries surrounding pyramids is it not, how the hell did they align them the way they did to the precisness they did.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
amazing video, thanks for posting.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue May 26 2009 by Jbird]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I wann go there..

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by theflashor
reply to post by ngchunter

But that is one of the greatest mysteries surrounding pyramids is it not, how the hell did they align them the way they did to the precisness they did.

The ability to place a marker precisely is not related to the claim that they could measure stellar positions to a precision greater than 3-6 arcmintues. In fact, because night vision is far lower in resolution than daytime vision, we should expect a person to be able to place a physical object on the ground with greater precision during the day than they can measure stars at night. I have not seen any evidence to indicate that they placed their pyramids in a way that depended on stellar measurements better than 3 arcminutes.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
When I was a kid I lived deep in farm country with no housing developments or anything nearby for miles and miles. I can remember how beautiful the sky was and how I would sit for hours with my telescopes and books mapping it all out. This video brought back one of the very few great memories of childhood, thank you for that, really!

Now, a city dweller, I am lucky to see anything but Venus when she is near the moon. I do travel occasionally and am out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. What approximate time and direction would one look to the sky in to see this?

And don't ask how many years ago I had those books and telescopes, I can't remember that far back.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Thanks alwaysquestion, jkrog, & ngchunter! Stunning video and images!

From our position within the Milky Way when we see it across the night sky, what exactly are we looking at? Is it the arm that we are located in or...?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is really cool...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
First thought: I want to go to Texas and see that!!!

Second thought: Aw man, too expensive, what's around here?

Third thought: Man, I need to get out to Texas!

Really - what an amazing video. Allow me to second (third, fourth, etc) my kudos! In my younger days I was an amateur astronomer. Saw some decent things, but NEVER anything quite so incredible.

Thanks for sharing!!!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by elfie

Excellent question. A lot of what we are looking at what is called the saggittarius arm of the milkyway galaxy - see this diagram for an idea of "our place and our view."
www.crystalinks.com...
A lot of popular nebulae are contained in this arm of the galaxy, and visible as red splotches in "milky way shots" like these. The galaxy's nucleus forms a bulge that extends as a glow above and below the spiral arms from our point of view.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Man, that was a beautiful night time sky.
I loved it when the sun, I guess, came out.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
When I was stationed in the Sinai, I was stunned that that was what the sky looked like at night away from all the light pollution of the cities. It was my deployment there that began my love of astronomy.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Wow, that left me speechless. So beautiful! You definetely don't get such a beautiful view here in the UK.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
wow i need to get out of the city

im having a hard time believing that the night sky is that clear ever

simply amazing sight if it is

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by theflashor
yes but they do not tell us what the mayans could observe through our atmousphere. just where the stars should of been based on their current Orbits etc.

Probably a damn sight more than we can with the naked eye - bleedin' light and gas pollution!!!

Anyway, it was just a suggestion

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I could not agree more with everyone. I've been studying, illustrating and even 3D modeling the Milkyway for 20 years, and I have never seen an image of our home galaxy that did not stop me in my tracks for it's beauty. Authentic beauty. I have a large collection in my image and digital morg. A few books too.

And, when you know the scales, the science and the mysteries of this galaxy, it will be 10 times as amazing.

Everyone will love this I imagine.

For the full size here.
Full Size Image

Now, back to looking at the infinite sky.

ZG

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I was just poking around on line and found this amazing image of the galactic center. It is huge and you have to scroll around to see all the detail but it is just amazing and those of you with more grasp on the various nebulae and stars may really like this. It just amazes me! Enjoy...

robgendlerastropics.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

i have got to admit that is impressive star for you mate, good find

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Redhead57 WOW you found a great photo of the Galactic Center also. I dropped the size of the photo down from 100% down to 20% so that I could see the hole picture at once without scrolling around and the photo is of the Galactic Center, and I mean the CENTER; as you can see it would extend out considerably on both sides if the photographer had gotten the whole thing in the photo. The photo is awesome.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Every now and then Stumble Upon and insomnia can be a beautiful thing!

I have to admit I have been back to this thread 5 times just looking at that image. When I was mindlessly stumbling and came across that I just knew it was a gift!

How can man be so shallow and try and put the Universe in a little box? I never will get it!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This reminds me of a dream i had once, well actually i had a lot of dreams like this involving the night sky. some were so vivid and scary while others just amazed the heck out of me. this was so cool.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join