It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That’s the smell uh money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Is the stock market completely out of touch with reality?

Is Wall Street completely in its own world while America dies?

We have millions who have lost jobs.
We have millions more who are underemployed.
We have students with fresh degrees unable to find work.
We have families who were once middle class making 100,000 a year now destitute.
Whole subdivisions are being razed.
Food Banks are running out of food.
Dumpster diving is a new sport.

And the market is rising.

The shills on CNBC are so out of touch with the standard American family it makes me wonder if they have lost their sense of reality.

To be fair if your day started at 5 am with the limo pick up. Then make up and some of New York’s best coffee. Some fresh strawberries. Pastry. Then you’re briefing from your staff. You warm up your voice and the “show” goes live.

All smiles and giggles.

Your gig ends. You go to some of the nicest Wall Street hangouts and listen to traders tell you how much money they made by shorting this and that. Get a few insider tips as to how to trade GM shares when they are resurrected in China.

Have a few more drinks. Get in the limo and back to the multimillion dollar condo overlooking the Hudson……..and you go to bed and start all over again.

This is the Bubble that the CNBC “reporters” live in as does many of the media elite.

No wonder they are out of touch.

It reminds me of the famous lifestyle of Marie Antoinette. “No bread..well let then eat cake” (I understand that this is not a historically accurate line..it simply reflects how out of touch the French royalty was leading up to Bastille Day)

I think I am beginning to smell something in the air.

By Grandfather told me something once that stuck to me like a bad smell. We had just come into town, a very tiny prairie town, close to our farm and I commented “It stinks, Grandpa”.

He said.” That’s the smell uh money".

It was the smell of cow manure but ever since then I equate the smell of BS with the smell of money.

And this is what I smell when observing CNBC and observing the DOW JONES….BS.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I could not agree with you more!

Remember that the news puppets have SOMEONE ELSES agenda in mind!

They may or may not know what is really happening in the real world, but it is not their job to go off and actually report the news. They report what their handlers tell them too.

If you doubt this, look at what happened to Dan Rather.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea

If you doubt this, look at what happened to Dan Rather.

Good point.

I had forgotten about Dan Rather.

The divide between the rich and the NEW poor is becoming sickenly apparent.

If Dan Rather can be taken down so can Joe Smutz reporter.

Scary times.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The stock market didn't like what the President said today and may react angrily tomorrow...

The stock market buys 3 pairs of shoes from Sachs 5th and Americans in England may have to buy it one extra pair because the Iranians enriched plutonium..

The stock market is upset at Americans for holding on to their paychecks ... it may need to be bailed out...

What the "F" is the stock market, does anyone really know? Was Flatwoods right and there is NO STOCK MARKET!!!

Is it just some bloated elite individual with a gross personality and do we really need this thing?

s & f ...for you and one for your Pa..

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by OrangeJuice

I am inclined to believe you. It seems as if the market has seperated from the "real" economy...in fact I have heard the term the "real" economy mentioned on CNBC.

So if this real economy exists then what is Wall Street.

The "unreal".."the "Sureal"..the "ficticious" economy.

Flatwood may be right as are you OJ.

I am inclined to believe we are being lied to and Wall Street is nothing more then a high stakes shell game.

www.polb.com...

April Fiscal Year to Date***
2009*** 2008 %Change 2009*** 2008 %Change
Loaded Inbound 199,051 280,553 -29.1% 1,500,715 1,947,336 -22.9%
Loaded Outbound 112,976 163,577 -30.9% 748,321 1,026,859 -27.1%
Empties 96,678 112,455 -14.0% 833,731 963,079 -13.4%
TOTAL (T.E.U.) 408,705 556,585 -26.6% 3,082,767 3,937,274 -21.7%

*TEUs: 20-foot equivalent units or 20-foot-long cargo container
**Preliminary estimate
The size of cargo containers range from 20 feet long to more than 50 feet long.
The international measure is the smallest box, the 20-footer or 20-foot-equivalent unit (TEU).
*** Fiscal Year = Oct. 1 through Sep. 30.

Stats Overview5-Yr ComparisonsYearly TEUsLatest Monthly TEUsTEUs Year To DateFinancial StatementsTEUs Archive Since 1995Tonnage SummaryAbout the PortStrategic PlanFacts at a GlanceFAQsHistoryEmploymentPort SecurityProjectsHarbor CommissionMeet the CommissionersBoard MeetingsTicket Reporting PolicyContact UsTrade/CommerceEconomic ImpactsPort StatisticsCargo / TenantsContractors/VendorsPort TariffDemurrage CalendarOverseas RepsPort-Related ServicesMaps and DirectionsPort DirectoryEnvironmentGreen Port PolicyClean TrucksAir QualityWildlifeWater QualitySoils and SedimentsSustainabilityEnvironmental DocumentsTransportation PlanningConnecting with the CommunityAbout Community EngagementEducationSpeakersPort ToursGreen Port FestContact UsStay InformedPort StaffOverseas RepsPort-Related ServicesMaps and DirectionsA-Z IndexComments and SurveysPrivacy Policy

www.polb.com...

Incoming trade is down.

Market is up.

GM, Chrysler to drop 1,900 dealers by end of 2010
NEW YORK (AP) — A decision by troubled automaker General Motors to drop 20 percent of its dealers is due in part to an oversized network that created stiff internal competition and gave shoppers too much leverage to talk down sticker prices, hurting chances for future sales.

GM's announcement Friday is more bad economic news for dealers, communities and businesses still reeling from Chrysler's similar nationwide dealer cuts a day earlier. Both automakers are scrambling to reorganize and stay alive in a severe recession that has devastated sales of cars and trucks.

Several hundred of the roughly 1,100 GM dealers already knew they were headed for closure, but most of them learned for the first time Friday. The dealerships will be eliminated when their contracts end late next year

www.google.com...

U.S. Economy: Jobless Claims Rise Amid Auto Closings (Update1)
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Bob Willis and Shobhana Chandra

May 14 (Bloomberg) -- More Americans than forecast filed unemployment-insurance claims last week because of the Chrysler LLC bankruptcy that is likely to reverberate through the economy for months.

Initial jobless claims rose by 32,000 to 637,000 in the week ended May 9, the Labor Department said today in Washington. A good part of the jump was from states reporting an increase in auto-related claims, a Labor official said without providing a more precise estimate. The department also said that wholesale prices rose in April, spurred by a gain in food costs.

The bankruptcy filing by Chrysler, and the potential for a similar step by General Motors Corp., is likely to cause further job losses as suppliers and communities are affected. The industry’s woes threaten to delay the economy’s recovery from the deepest recession in half a century and send the unemployment rate up from what’s already a 25-year high.

“This is definitely the first area where you’ll see the fallout from
www.bloomberg.com...

Still the market goes up.

WE have a disconnect between the Street and the Market.

All one needs to do is read this forum to see the disconnect.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
They all know what's coming....deep down inside, they know...they're just doing what they do best...manipulating as many as they can, making as much $$$ as they can before the party is over...we see it plainly, and we should prepare....the time is so short and none of this nonsense will matter at all by the Fall

edit for an apology.....sometimes the dark moods get the best of me

[edit on 18-5-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter
They all know what's coming....deep down inside, they know...they're just doing what they do best...manipulating as many as they can, making as much $$$ as they can before the party is over...we see it plainly, and we should prepare....the time is so short and none of this nonsense will matter at all by the Fall

I hope you are right as this would mean that they are not in the dark concerning the future......

Yet most people have lost touch with the reality of thier own families never mind the worlds economy.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

It's time that the consumer spends on only what is necessary.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
reply to post by whiteraven

It's time that the consumer spends on only what is necessary.

Amen brother.

I believe our forefathers lived this way strange as it may seem.lol

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It's just a game. Another way the wealthy can bet against the poor and win because the game is fixed.
They admit it's fixed with the plunge protection team.
It's almost time to drop the market back down a few points so they can bring the dollar up just a hair.
Of course all the big boys that decide when the market needs to be brought down so the dollar will go up, are all making millions off of their Forex accounts every time this happens.
They're raping the American public and laughing all the way to the bank when they get done.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Lorca arrived in NYC from Madrid , just in time to witness the crash of 29.

Reflections....

"The terrible, cold, cruel part is Wall Street. Rivers of gold flow there from all over the earth, and death comes with it. There, as nowhere else, you feel a total absence of the spirit: herds of men who cannot count past three, herds more who cannot get past six, scorn for pure science and demoniacal respect for the present. And the terrible thing is that the crowd that fills the street believes that the world will always be the same and that it is their duty to keep that huge machine running, day and night, forever. This is what comes of a Protestant morality, that I, as a (thank God) typical Spaniard, found unnerving."

"I was lucky enough to see with my own eyes the recent stock- market crash, where they lost several million dollars, a rabble of dead money that went sliding off into the sea. Never as then, amid suicides, hysteria, and groups of fainting people, have I felt the sensation of real death, death without hope, death that is nothing but rottenness, for the spectacle was terrifying but devoid of greatness.... I felt something like a divine urge to bombard that whole canyon of shadow, where ambulances collected suicides whose hands were full of rings."

Federico Garcia Lorca - 1898-1936

GL

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Federico García Lorca (Spanish pronunciation: [feðeˈɾiko gaɾˈθi.a ˈloɾka]) (5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936) was a Spanish poet, dramatist and theatre director. Lorca reached universal fame thanks to his masterpieces as an emblematic member of the Generation of '27 which would drive Spain to its so called Cultural Silver Era. He was murdered[1] by persons likely affiliated with the Nationalist cause at the beginning of the Spanish Civil War.[2] A Spanish judge has opened an investigation of Garcia Lorca's death, as one of the many executed and disappeared, as a crime against humanity during the Spanish Civil War.[3]

[/exAssociations made at Granada's Arts Club placed him in good stead when he moved in 1919 to the famous Residencia de estudiantes in Madrid, where he would befriend Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí, among many others who were or would become influential artists in Spain. In Madrid he met Gregorio Martínez Sierra, the Director of Madrid's Teatro Eslava, at whose invitation he wrote and staged his first play, El maleficio de la mariposa, in 1919-20. There was huge controversy in the late 1910's when many considered him homosexual, thus his plays being largely based around women to mask his sexuality. A verse play dramatising the impossible love between a cockroach and a butterfly, with a supporting cast of other insects; it was laughed off stage by an unappreciative public after only four performances and influenced García Lorca's attitude to the theatre-going public for the rest of his career. He would later claim that 1927's Mariana Pineda was his first play]

Wow that is one very interesting Character....i of course luv Dali....and this guy was one of the other guys from Spain.

Thanks....his observations would be and are unique.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hi whiteraven. Evidently Dali didn't share Lorca' "interest" , and the rejection only added fuel to an on-going depression. Lorca' parents suggested that a trip to NY might be beneficial - clear the cobwebs so to speak......unfortunate timing , I'd say.

Originally posted by whiteraven
It was the smell of cow manure but ever since then I equate the smell of BS with the smell of money.

Nice little anecdote....

Couldn't help but think about your OP when I came across this last night: French Find Safety Nets Multiplying in Pastures

GL

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I invite you all to the "Up to the minute market" thread..

we have a bunch of varying opinions covering all these topics..

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

I hope you are right. The whole sytem needs to be torn down and started over from scratch.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Here is a trader who seemed to see it my way.

He was wondering how in the heack we had a rally in Monday...old news...but not yet stale.

Kudlow then says “me too” to which Ogre obliges.

The lesson to be learned? Just because you wear your Fruit of the Looms on your ears it does not make you smart, nor does it mean there is a bull market in the offing.

So with that lesson in mind, please, while reading my posts remember to wear clean undershorts and while watching CNBS don’t believe that every streak is a winning one.

Today’s paltry volume tells me that this was just what I said it was and now that the shorts have stolen the bull’s wives and girlfriends, mistresses and hookers, and flew off to St. Kitts or St. Johns to party the rest of this week that there will be little if any liquidity to help the bulls cause. The market today traded on VERY thin volume and it means to me that we will see volatility start to increase heading into the weekend, especially if I am correct on my suspicions about GM, bond insurers, munis and a purple dinosaur named “Barney” from Massachusetts.

Better get that passed Barney or your legacy will be the collapse of the municipal bond system, pension funds worldwide and of course the bankruptcy of several states including your own. Time to suck it up, uh, er, bad choice of words, and get-ir-dun!

After we all shower off from that sentence, let’s look at the DJIA today:

johngaltfla.com...

new topics

top topics

join