It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian SETI-Astronomers Detect Unknown Signal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Australian SETI-Astronomers Detect Unknown Signal

grenzwissenschaft-aktuell.blogspot.com

Contrary to the classical Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, (SETI) that is listening to intelligent radio signals from outer space, so called "OSETI" is searching for strong "optical" laser pulses or strong laser flashes. While SETI-researchers dismiss the idea of crop circles being a communication from aliens because - according to Seth Shostak of the SETI Institute - alien visitors with the ability to travel to Earth would surely use a more sophisticated technology to communicate, such as radio transmission, the idea of OSETI turns this argument around (even if certainly not in favour to the much debated crop circle phenomenon): "For an advanced civilization, radio wave technology would be old hat. (...) My strong feeling is that if there are (extraterrestrial intelligence) civilizations out there, they will send the signal by laser pulses or laser flashes", explained Dr. Ragbir Bhathal head of the "OZ OSETI PROJECT" at the University of Western Sydney in an interview with "The Australian".
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
This is the only source for this that I can find... it first appeared in Fortean times then unexplained mysteries.

Besides that this is one of the most poorly written piece I've ever read... still it goes on to say that:

And indeed, in the first week of last December (2008) Bhathal's team detected an unusual strong laser signal that could not have been identified nor did it re-occur since: "It may be a glitch in our equipment, or some astrophysical phenomena (e.g an optical pulsar) or some unknown source. We are still investigating it", told Bhathal to the German online-newsmagazine "Grenzwissenschaft-aktuell.de".

Even if still unidentified, the signal's discovery seems to have created enough enthusiasm within the team to mark it with a "Was t ET?"-comment - not unlike the famous "Wow"-Mark next to the detection of a strong, narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of Ohio State University.

Even with the horrible grammar it is an interesting read... probably something like a pulsar pulse but then we already know how to identify them.

Regardless, its interesting.

grenzwissenschaft-aktuell.blogspot.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Wow how interesting. So what are the possible sources of this. Like you say a Pulsar, a Supernova? a Quaser? Why would it just stop? If it were a civilisation who had radio capability, surely they would be continually emitting radio or laser signals?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
It is pretty weird news. There's a thread on the Laser-like signal coming from Gliese 581e over at the UFO + alien forum with a few posts in it.

My thoughts are that if it was a proper laser signal detected - chances of it happening again (if it originated on Gliese 581e) are slim to none.

I never thought about using light to communicate with other stars before though, it's quite a cool idea.

-m0r

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
hey maybe the aliens never grew ears witch would explain crop circles and them never being able to hear radio waves

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Nice Find, I did a search for Dr. Bhathal on the University of western Sydneys site, for both OSETI and the the Dr. himself. I found nothing on this find.
Interesting though that it would appear on a blog, surley it would have been released here first?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Unless it starts a regular and repeatable pattern I tend to believe its of natural origin... even with a regular and repeatable pattern it could still be natural though.

Thing is I don't know what stellar object would produce a laser like light beam though since they are highly focused energy beams.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Unless it starts a regular and repeatable pattern I tend to believe its of natural origin...

Maybe they chanced upon some intense battle between star ships? Or one of those solar sail ships? They would require bursts from a (ground based) laser at some points maybe to change course.

Just thinking out loud really, like you say natural is the boring but most likely real explanation.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Natural is not necessarily boring... indeed the natural explanation could be far more fascinating.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Crop cirlces aren't necessarily to communicate with us

It could serve as checkpoints, or rather mappoints for aliens.
It could only be used for navigational purposes.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I would think using a laser to communicate would be a rather inefficient way to broadcast, as you will only be hitting a very small section of the universe around you while radio waves and the like travel basically is every direction from your planet. Even if you knew the location you wanted to laser beam your transmission to, the obstacles in the way and the math involved in hitting your target in another Solar System seem too hard to overcome.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Maybe it is a bad way to communicate on a complex and everyday level, like we use radio waves and optic fibres etc.

But to try to initiate contact with species unknown? Kinda makes sence... hink about how long life on earth has been looking at the night sky, then look at how long humans have being using optical instruments - then factor in how long we have understood radio waves.

If your an advanced civilization reaching out to unknown civilizations lasers are a feasible method.... Blooming powerful Lasers mind you, if they have eyes I hope they are wearing protection.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by grover

I would think using a laser to communicate would be a rather inefficient way to broadcast, as you will only be hitting a very small section of the universe around you while radio waves and the like travel basically is every direction from your planet. Even if you knew the location you wanted to laser beam your transmission to, the obstacles in the way and the math involved in hitting your target in another Solar System seem too hard to overcome.

Could be you would want to hit only a small section of the universe. You could think security, or just a way of directing your message at a particular recipient.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rendrag69
hey maybe the aliens never grew ears witch would explain crop circles and them never being able to hear radio waves

Radio Waves could be thought of as just another form of light. Well not at a frequency that we can detect with our eyes they would be something seen and not heard.

It is impossible to know what frequencies an alien species might be equipped to receive or transmit and listening on one band has about as much chance of success as any.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
If these aliens have already made contact with different countries and leaders like so many believe, wouldn't we already know how to communicate with them? This is something that I can't ever recall leaking from any person that was suppose to be associated with alien technology. Everyone seems to be focused on the vehicle buzzing around our skies. Many so-called eye witnesses have mentioned telepathy but how would telepathy work over distance especially the great distances through space?

Just something to think about.... Just another thing that makes me go hmmmmmmm.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by rendrag69

I read a sci-fi book on this premise one time; all communication by the alien species was visual. Who knows, this could very well be the case.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I was watching "Life After People", last night. They made a comment that some scientists believe our radio signals won't even make it to the closest star (not our sun). They said the signal just becomes noise before it gets there. So, if this is true, isn't SETI a waste of time?

Maybe they are onto something with this light idea. Radio is well and good for sending signals in the "local" area, but not for interstellar communication. A more advanced species would probably know this, and maybe they would use light to send out signals.

Hmmm.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by tamusan]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
lol "more sophisticated then crop circles" okay sure Seth, then exactly how are they made & why can't we duplicate them ourselves? SETI is a boarder line cult just making sure they secure their grant money. Maybe they will find another civilization that is as "duh-duh" as we are (like Michio Kaku says; class 0 civilization tribal & still burning dead things for fuel) but that by no means would constitute the end-all-be-all of ET life. It was just be one sample. It's funny because the SETI A-hole still seems to think we're the top of the class & radio/microwaves are the best communication device, Give me a break.

Then there's this crop formation that responds to the information SETI sends, next to a SETI array, nothing caught on the cameras near by as to what created these two formations:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9264f10704db.gif[/atsimg]

www.cropcircleresearch.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/589887ee9004.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e59eab4dadd5.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6f22dd66dc9.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Shakesbeer]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Dr. Shostak is a little ignorant IMO, I really don't like his attitude and arrogance. Here is a thought for you however: Why would we assume the basic communication systems of advanced ETs would be anything we can conceive? They could be using communication bands in the EM spectrum we have not discovered yet. Or better yet they could be using a type of quantum communication device. Here is a bit of info on the later...

The GCC (Gravity Control Cell) antenna radiates graviphotons and gravitational waves simultaneously. Thus it is not only a gravitational antenna, but a Quantum gravitational antenna because it can also emit and detect gravitational Virtual quanta (graviphotons) which in turn can transmit information instantaneously from any distance in the universe without scattering.

Courtesy of Mikesinghs' ATS thread.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Wow great find grover!

It's too bad it didn't turn out like Contact

On serious not however, there are many possibilities to what that could have been. Pulsar or even perhaps a ship that was passing through the area.

Very Interesting.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join