It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Database of all children launched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Database of all children launched

news.bbc.co.uk

A controversial database which holds the details of every child in England has become available to childcare professionals for the first time.

ContactPoint, a response to Lord Laming's report following the death of Victoria Climbie, is beginning its national roll-out in the north west.

But the system, costing £224m, has been delayed twice amid data security fears

The government says it will enable more co-ordinated services for children and ensure none slips through the net.

But in 2007, a report into the project by auditors Deloitte and Touche said it could never be totally secu
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Taxman can use database of ID cards to track our spending habits and bank accounts

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
There are some other details in the news item of interest.

-Name, address, date of birth, gender and contact details for parents or carers

-Each child also has a unique identifying number

-Details of the child's school and GP practice and for other practitioners or services working with the child

-Whether the practitioner is the lead professional for that child

Every child will have a 'unique identifying number'! What!!! I'm sorry but that is scary in my eyes. We all have SS numbers or passport numbers granted, but I would never describe them as identifying, this is too weird.

Okay there are many issues here, paramount is the failiure of the system in the 'Baby P' fiasco:

news.bbc.co.uk...

A catalogue of failings by the NHS meant a series of opportunities that could have saved Baby P's life were missed, the health regulator says.

The toddler - now named as Peter - from Haringey, London, had been seen by health services 35 times by the time he died after horrific abuse in 2007.

Two doctors involved in his care have already been suspended.

But the Care Quality Commission said Haringey's services were poor, leading to an apology from NHS trusts involved.

Baby Peter had suffered more than 50 injuries by the time of his death in August 2007, aged 17 months.

The solution? Oh I know, lets just shove all the kids on a big database that we'll probably lose anyway:

news.bbc.co.uk...

The private details of thousands of children were found on a memory stick dropped by a council worker.

The device, which was found by a member of the public, was reported missing but the employee told Leeds City Council it did not contain sensitive information.

In fact it included the names, dates of birth, ethnicity and contact details for about 5,000 nursery-age children living in the Leeds area.

It just keeps getting worse!

The failure in the Baby P case was that the Police and Socail workers were unable to (or just didn't) check the partner of the mother, to see if he was a danger to the child. Putting Baby P on a big database would not have helped. Why is this Labour Government's answer to everything just to get us all on a computer, with a code or a tag, instead of dealing with issues!

eg:Terrorism = ID cards

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
S+F!

Surely a Database is the solution to all our problems!?!

Whilst I do think that there are plenty of young people out there who suffer from neglect and/or abuse and we should try and make their lives better - having everyone's detail on a big computer can only lead to corruption/human error at some point.

Remember this paedophile Police Officer who got a job in family protection before being arrested?

But the MPs won't learn whilst they are protecting our best interests / being bought out by economists.

-m0r

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I hope this does'nt take ship around the rest of the world because I am planning for kids soon.

Do you know the exact reason why this is happening?

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Pokémon]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokémon

It really is a knee jerk reacton to the 'Baby P' abuse case mentioned in my post, if you're not aware of it I recommend you have a read, maybe sitting down, and prepare to be angered and horrified.

Oh there was another case in the same council ( an organistion running a district of a town or city if you're from the US):

news.bbc.co.uk...

The Council failed to act in this case and then baby P came along- the Nation was shocked, that it could happen at all, and in the same council no less.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Its happening because the insanity is getting out of hand and nobody cares enough to stop it!!!!!

They want our children, grandchildren, whatever for , i dont know.

This is beyond an outrage.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
What happens if the wrong people get their hands on this information? Suddenly people know everything they need to know to steal your child's identity and they know where to find them, they know what school they attend? That's pretty creepy.

So, this is happening in England, but does anyone know if this is legal in the US? I think it's illegal for the government to collect info like this and to create databases like this, I realize they do hire corporations to do their dirty work though.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Lets all be honest, Government agencies all around the world have been pretty slack lately, especially when in possesion of confidential data.

I really, really hope this does'nt spread because one slip up could very well blow apart.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Here in the US we have what is called "Social Services" or SS ....hmm I have heard that before?/........ Anywho they were put into place to help place abused kids in "loving" homes. Well it to is a disaster. Children are actually lost in the system , ciblings are seperated. They can actually come to you home take you children away from you permentally based on rumors and heresay.Im sure it has helped a some but from what I have seen it does more damage than good. Having all the children and there info on a database is bad idea #2,387

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Here in the US we have what is called "Social Services" or SS ....hmm I have heard that before?/........ Anywho they were put into place to help place abused kids in "loving" homes. Well it to is a disaster. Children are actually lost in the system , ciblings are seperated. They can actually come to you home take you children away from you permentally based on rumors and heresay.Im sure it has helped a some but from what I have seen it does more damage than good. Having all the children and there info on a database is bad idea #2,387

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
It does seem very big brother, I thought the following

1. Each UK school already holds this data and more
Most schools use Capita Sims .net software, this shows the amount of data held by each school

Adding a New Pupil/Student to SIMS .net

including Doctor and NHS number

The schools transfer this data to the local education authority and other schools using xml files.

2. How long before lower age is extended to birth?

3. How long before the upper age limit is extended to be leaving University or training scheme, then again until death?

4. Chnaging the age limits will allow them to have everyone on their system within 70 years

4. What other information will soon be added?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
This has nothng to do with the safety of children and everything to do with government control

They have no reason at all to have knowledge of a child's caregivers under normal circumstances, nor do they have reason to have a database that holds a child's personal information. In the case of an abused or neglected child then they will just have to do their jobs and investigate.

Why should the private information of millions of families be available to anyone because the government has allowed certain children to fall through the cracks

They have opened a door that may lead to a multitude of victims should that information fall into the wrong hands

It would be interesting to know if the children of politicians and highly wealthy people are also on that list, or is their personal information exempt.

And how long will it be before they use this database to make cases against good parents on the pretext that they don't bring their child to doctor often enough, or there must be severe problems in the family because the child is seeing a psychologist, etc ?

This is just another example of the governments around the world that have the mistaken belief that our children are their property

People in England should be fighting this tooth and nail, protect your children's rights.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This being the UK there won't be a whimper of dissent, or at least nothing significant. The public voice has been lost in that nation.

From a social aspect I find what is happening in the UK fascinating, from the outside it appears to be genuinely losing its grasp on reality.

This is purely anecdotal but I heard the other day that a woman was detained at a UK airport when she was found to be in possession of a book about knives, they were kitchen knives but that's hardly the point, it was a BOOK, this on top of the story about needing to be 18 to buy teaspoons.

The British were always regarded as the bastion of good judgement and common sense in the World, but now they are increasingly the laughing stock, and are regarded as out of control even by European standards.

We have near revolt in the US over just the remote prospect of new firearms restrictions and increased taxation. Just look at the national tea party events.

It's difficult to see a way forward for the UK.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

The government says it will enable more co-ordinated services for children and ensure none slips through the net.

My God that is spine chilling.
Just horrific.

Also - think about the Baby-P situation.
They blame the fact that they were not able to check the partner of the mother.

How in the hell is having the child listed going to help then - in a data base, if in fact, that doesn’t mean - and of course it does - that every person in contact with that child is *data based* also.

This is all going tooooo far, toooo fast....

*Cringes*

new topics

top topics

join