It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bad is it to get a flu shot? Thinking of getting one this year.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I'm in New Zealand at the moment. I'm always susceptible to catching flu. My workmates and their family are starting to get flu. I've had a rough few months with health issues and feel like if I get the flu I won't be able to handle it. It's been one thing after another lately most recently my back. I thought, maybe just this one get the jab so I have a high chance of saving myself yet another nightmare scenario (when i get flu, i really get it hard). I dunno..

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Hey there, don't listen to the "You will be chipped if you take the flu shot" garbage. Nor the crazies saying "they will overdoes you with the flu".

I have been getting it for years now, my advice, be on the safe side and get it as well!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Never gotten one, and never had the flu.

I wouldn't get one, mercury in the vaccines is enough on it's own to dissuade me from poisoning myself. Enjoy yours though.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Get the vapor vaccine.

The shot make you a little sick. The vapor is great though, no runny nose and/or weakness.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I don't think they have a vapor one here, never heard of it. As for mercury how much are we talking about here? I mean if I eat a can of Tuna wouldn't I be ingesting far more mercury than a flu jab?

[edit on 18-5-2009 by contemplator]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I had gotten the flu shot every year for 10 years. About 5 years ago I started the vapor. The big reason is that even though I have about half my body tattooed I don't like shots.

Their isn't anything wrong with the shot. Just depends how paranoid you are. Millions take it and are fine.

Unless of course you are allergic to eggs, then you can't take it.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I am not much of a Tuna eater so I am not fit to really comment. Though I am fit and healthy,
and yes I quote again I have been taking the flu shot ever since I was able to.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
hi, i am in in NZ too. I know a guy who got the flu vaccine and 2wks later he was off work for 5 days with the flu!!

the vaccine gave him the worst flu he had had in his whole life.

also, my grandmother who is in her mid 80's swears never to get the flu vaccine again. for years she was getting her yearly pensioners vaccine and she kept wondering why she was feeling so awful.

so she decided to stop these vaccines about 3yrs ago and she feels better now than she has for many years.

I would rather just get the flu naturally and get over it (as i did about 3 wks ago)

i have got over it (took 1wk) and i am still glad i have never had the jab.

this is only my experience with it. maybe there is people who would swear by it.

hope this helps.

G

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
What age are you? all the scare mongers..well scare monger.If your relatively healthy and in good shape i wouldn't bother,just let your body fight it off naturally.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
My sister got a flu shot 15 years ago when she was starting grade 7 and a couple days later became super sick. She missed almost a year of school and was diagnosed with having chronic fatigue and the doctor said it was caused from the flu shot.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Maybe he had the swine flu

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I don't get flu shots but I do get them for my son. He has asthma and the risks associated with him getting the flu (lungs) are more than the risks of get the shot. My daughter, on the other hand, who does not have illness related to the lungs does not get them. The point - you have to weigh the benefits and risks according to the individual.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I haven't had the flu shot the last 2 years and haven't gotten the flu. Every year that I had gotten the flu shot in previous years, I always came down with a nasty flu about 3 months later.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I have had a flu shot every year since 2000. I haven't had the flu. It could be coincidence though as it is a precautionary measure. Getting the shot itself has never made me sick.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

I've also been getting a flu shot regularly since 2000 no effects at all apart from one year where I had a very slight temp and the shakes (mildly) for a few days afterwards and many others had exactly the same reaction to that year's vaccine.

I never had flu shots prior to 2000 but contracting a strain that very nearly killed me (no exxageration) changed my mind about it. And for the record in 60 years I've had influenza (real influenza) twice (previous episode was before 1970) and I'd prefer to not go through that again if I can avoid it. Frankly I'd rather be hit by a bus

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

The vaccine only protects you from that strain of flu. There are many many strains.

Taht is why they encourage you to get them every year, then you build up a file of vaccinations, as opposed to just the one.

So you can get anotehr strain of flu that you are vaccinated against.

That, and it takes several weeks for the shot to work, so he may have hit it in the ineffective window.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I can't make up my mind concerning all of the talk that the basic flu shot is bad.
I have had the flu shot for about 5 years now. Only once did I feel bad afterwards, but the upper arm gets sore for about 2 days.

Once I started getting it on a regular basis I haven't had the flu except for some minor variations and a couple of bad colds. The reason I decided to get on a "shot routine" was that I had been in the restaurant business for so long that the constant exposure to the public left me constantly fighting some bug or another (it is a very germ ridden business to be in, BTW! Got to be on your toes at all times!) and my immune system was toast.
For me it was a good thing..unfortunately, I am now a little upset having recently learned about all of the mercury issues and such....so, I would say this has to be a personal decision that you'll just have to research a lttle more before making up your own mind. Hoped this helped!

FMF

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Vaccines are -without a doubt- a hallmark of some of the greatest public health successess in the history of medicine. Smallpox is a great example. Measles- which can make one ill with a full recovery- or dead in a few days- is nearly non-existant now. Tetanus- diptheria- these are advances that have truly helped people immensely.

There is a problem, now, however, with how vaccines are made and preserved, and how they are augmented.

Adjuvants ares added to all vaccines (used to be aluminum derivitives)- they are now oil-based products that are added to boost the immune response to a small amount of antigenic material to which you body creates antibodies. The problem with adjuvants now is that they mimic a lot of natural oils and fatty acids in the body- so a vaccine can cause hyper-immunity- and consequently, autoimmune diseases, as the very antibodies to flu, for example, also react to the adjuvant, and they attack cell membranes, nerve myelin, etc.

I used to take the flu vaccine- but I no longer do so. Nor will I take any vaccine-ever- unless I will absolutely die if I refuse it- even then, I'll look for alternatives.

Add all of the presevatives in the vaccines, such as mercury, MSG, proteins from the eggs in which they are created, etc., and many people can have a very negative reaction.

The H1N1 vaccine made by GSK will contain an adjuvant called AS03- Google it. You don't want it injected into your body.

If, however, the risk of flu infection is so great for you that the risk/benefit ratio is in favor of being vaccinated- do what is best for your own body. My mom has severe asthma- flu could kill her. She takes the vaccine annually, and the risks from the vaccine are less than the risks of flu. It depends on your specific medical needs. If it's not critical to you- think twice before taking it- or at least until you research it thoroughly.

Wish you all the best health

edited for typos

[edit on 24-5-2009 by CultureD]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I had the flu my senior year of college. I have never felt worse in my life (and I had a 2nd degree tear after my daughter was born!). I do have asthma, so I guess that made it worse for me. I got it from a coworker who was sick, but came to her work study job anyway because she needed the money. I also infected my roommate, my boyfriend (now my husband), his roommate, and the guy I carpooled with.

I've gotten a flu shot every year since and haven't gotten the flu again. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. I don't want to get sick, but more importantly, I don't want to spread the flu to other people. I have an 8-month-old to worry about. So when they come out with a swine flu vaccine, I'll take it. My daughter will get one too. As several posters above stated, the risks from the flu are far greater than those from the vaccine.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by sweetpeanc]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Kiora Contemplator, I'm also in NZ. I have elected not to have the flu shot. I found its only effective for identified flu's only (ie: previous seasons), and several of my work collegues got very sick after being vaccinated.

In preparation for a possible piggy pandemic I decided to get a pnemonia vaccine last week, to protect from the complications resulting from getting a flu. It cost me $60NZ and got it from my local doctors/medical centre.

Hope this helps with your decision.

top topics

join