It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

W.H.O. May Raise Alert Level (6) as Swine Flu Cases Leap in Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

The number of swine flu cases in Japan soared over the weekend, raising the likelihood that the World Health Organization will soon have to raise its pandemic alert level to 6, the highest level.

Before the outbreak began last month, Japan used about 60 percent of the world’s stock of the antiviral drug Tamiflu.

If the World Health Organization finds sustained community transmission — that is, infections between people with no connections to travel from North America — it will presumably raise its pandemic alert level to 6, because Japan is outside the W.H.O. Americas region.

The New York Times Asia Pacific

EDIT TO ADD: THIS LINK IS ASKING FOR LOG IN. SAW IT ON GOOGLE NEWS. THAT LINK WORKS. SEARCH IT.

Well there you have it, WHO to presumably raise to level 6. Still don't know what this means?

Shocker to see that Japan already used 60 percent of the world Tamiflu supply also.

Just wanted to add because I saw another thread about the Asia markets tumbling, this is not the cause.

May 18 (Bloomberg) -- Asian stocks fell as Panasonic Corp. and Mizuho Financial Group Inc. reported losses and oil prices slumped.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by timewalker]

[edit on 18-5-2009 by timewalker]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I think there's a bit of a translation issue with that "Japan has used 60% of...".

Last week, I caught a bit on the news where the health minister mentioned that Japan has a stockpile of tamiflu large enough to treat 38 million people.

My guess is that they're taking a bit of license with the translation. "Used" likely refers to the amount purchased for the stockpile, as opposed to "used and now it's gone". (the same verb - 使う(tsukau) can mean both. )

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Take stock of this thread as cases will raise soon and the death count will soar to new heights not seen since the 1920s.

As people begin to travel again, without showing symptoms, but caring the virus. People will begin to get sick and the virus will mutate.

Let us hope that no one from Egypt with the Bird Flu comes in contact with the Swine Flu...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

By the 1920's i presume your talking about the Spainish flu, but the thing that alarms me about this entire situation was the media explosion at the beginning of this flu. Now there is barely anything mentioned about it. What would really be interesting would be to see how it spreads in the southern hemisphere as it is fall down there which means flu season for them...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Being down in Australia, I am awaiting this with baited breath.......

At last count Aus was awaiting results for 30 people, and recorded 1 confirmed case. Somehow I doubt the numbers are correct, especially when you consider NZ is not all that far away, and Aus and NZ travel between the two countries all the time.

top topics

join