It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythbusters - RFID Brainwashing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Seen an episode of Mythbusters today that was pretty alarming. I've attached the clip for everyone else to see, but when I seen it I lost the little respect I had left for the show.

It's alarming to see because a lot of people actually build their knowledge base on what they see on TV, especially on channels such as Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc. This episode is a great way to bring RFID into the average persons perception. And if you are looking at the clip subjectively, it almost seems as if they were intentionally running this show as somewhat of an advertisement for the RFID.

Now, as you watch the clip you'll notice that they do spin it in a very positive light, not to mention a member of the show actually has one implanted. But the truth comes out a bit clearer near the end of the clip. So, take a few minutes now to watch the clip and continue reading afterwards.

Clip breakdown:
- Starts off with the introduction of the myth, after introducing the RFID, all hosts stand around saying COOOOLLL
- Then we bring out RFID expert, Ron Dovick(sp?). He explains how they work, they continue with the premise and then we have
- A more detailed explaination where Ron says "theres people who have already had these implanted to track their medical records" pp
- Yay myth busted hooray, it wont explode... yay..
- Now a myth buster gets implanted, remarking "I feel so sci-fi"
- In the conclusion huddle reality sets in when one mythbuster comments "theres a lot of conspiracy theories surrounding these RFID's".

This is where you see the glimmer of light in the tunnel and feel, wow they may actually do humanity a favor here and shed some valuable light on this subject, rather than pointless myth testing.

Interestingly enough, the conspiracies he mentions have nothing to do with cashless society, etc instead they were all based on the security of the information on the chip. Not the actual implication of having an entirely chipped society.

Specifically he mentions, can you steal someones credit card information, can you track people etc.

Then the geeky asian myth buster chimes in "I think we are already on enough government watch lists, maybe we should just let this one go" har har har chuckle chuckle. Fun.

But, then even this last few seconds shows something significant. When mythbusters had originally decided to test myths related to RFID chips, I dialog with Texas Instruments was initiated. The original show was intended to test the hack ability of these chips, but it soon became clear that a show like that wouldn't be aired. Lawyers from not only Texas Instruments, but also credit card companies joined the conversation, Discovery Channel, feeling completely outgunned, dropped the idea and rather decided to do this MRI myth instead in which case the companies input was not needed or relevant. link

Other sources covering that story:
3 From above

Video of Adam Savage discussing the issue: link

Conclusion:
We get to see a variety of things with this episode. First off, the inability of the show to stand up to the chip makers and test real myths.

But more importantly, we see how mythbusters is only for entertainment, and like similar shows, on similar channels, should never be taken seriously. Of all the things they could have talked about regarding RFID chips, they choose the most inane topic of all. Complete distraction tactics at best.

Even more important here though, is the softening of the public to the concept of chipping individuals. You'll most likely all remember the Andy Rooney clip in which he says "I WISH I COULD BE CHIPPED MY LIFE WOULD BE SOOO MUCH BETTER" or something as garbage as that.

Most people who have never heard of the chip, after watching this episode are leaving with the perception that they are nothing to fear. Perhaps one day they will be used to track medical records, 90% of the audience (or more) is going to say, "So what", and forget about it. Never actually looking into the important implications of a chipped society.

Thus, I hope this again highlights how MSM shapes the public perception of subjects in whatever light they choose, and those who fail to differentiate between entertainment and information will pay dearly in the end for their ignorance.

Thanks for reading.

Note: I know this is an older episode, but the topic needs to be discussed.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by king9072]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
If anything it's a good way to desensitize everyone to the idea of it.

Although I don't fully believe in a cashless society chip, its plausible, which means it should be looked at of course!

Not told it's the greatest thing on earth. I mean c'mon guys, who really, really wants to have an implant in their body, straight from the gov't, god knows I don't!

Obama, Pelosi, Bernanke, you keep your hands off me!

Sneaky, very sneaky. We've seen them do sneaky stuff lately, I wouldn't put it past them inparticularly.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

RFID chips are really no different than any other form of technology. They can be used for great good or great evil depending on who is in control. Getting chipped with RFID is not much different than carrying a cell phone or OnStar, in that it can have a positive use, and that you can get rid of them if they begin to be used against you. You can throw away your cellphone, drive your OnStar car off a cliff, and remove your RFID chip whenever you dont want to use them anymore.

[edit on 5/18/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Yes but removing your RFID chip would be painful, and depending on where put, extremely painful, in the wrist you could damage a major artery and risk , well as in the paper, suicide.

It'd be like have a mandatory tattoo almost, not everyone is for tattoos, except catholics.
I have a tattoo, its tribal on the left bicep all the way around. As to not be mean to anyone.

I mean, conformity is something ATS should be against, looking at every individually and understanding conformity psychologically.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Very true, its like that with most things though.
The reality is we cannot fight this thing yet, they have control over every thing most important being the ignorant masses. They take their freedoms for granted. Its frustrating, depressing, annoying and hopeless atleast for now it is.

There is nothing you could say that will change the minds of the masses, they have to lose everything first. Only when they are in the thick of it will we have any fighting chance for a better future. Thats the way it always been.

Boreddude-
What you say is true, but considering the way of the world these days it would be put to malicious use way before we would ever use it for good. Thats also the way it works out for everything. I think Albert Einstein says it best, "The release of atomic power has changed everything except our way of thinking".

We could have put atomic power to great use from the day we discovered it we could have used it for science and to advance human civilization, instead we made bombs.

In the United States, where Fermi and Szilard had both emigrated, this led to the creation of the first man-made reactor, known as Chicago Pile-1, which achieved criticality on December 2, 1942. This work became part of the Manhattan Project to breed plutonium for use in the first nuclear weapons

link

The point is we cant trust ourselves with technology like this. Too many people in positions of power, whether it be political or economic, would love to have a chance to abuse it for their own selfish needs.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by caballero]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

RFID chips are really no different than any other form of technology. They can be used for great good or great evil depending on who is in control. Getting chipped with RFID is not much different than carrying a cell phone or OnStar, in that it can have a positive use, and that you can get rid of them if they begin to be used against you. You can throw away your cellphone, drive your OnStar car off a cliff, and remove your RFID chip whenever you dont want to use them anymore.

[edit on 5/18/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

Hey, yes your right, but I feel you are only looking short term.

It starts slowly, as everything does, but once enough information is held on the chip it eventually gets to a critical level. Now whether that level is when it starts to hold all monetary transactions, or if that level is when it is the only ID we have, is unknown.

But once it reachs that critical point, you will no longer have the choice of abandoning it, for so much of your daily interactions would require it.

The easiest way to look at it is to imagine a cashless society, in which every financial transaction you make in your lifetime is tracked via these chips.

Getting groceries, fuel, clothes, paid for work, lend someone money, be lent money, subscribe to anything, buy furniture etc. Absolutely every imaginable transaction of money would require a chip. So once you realize how powerful and far reaching that concept would be, if you were to voluntarily end your chip then it would be to your own detriment.

You couldn't even work for someone "under the table" to survive, because they couldn't actually transfer you any money. You are disabled and literally would have to fend for yourself, or trade sexual favors for food. I would prefer to never have to use the latter, so I will stick with fighting the RFID before it goes into global implication.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I just thought of how you could get one removed, I don't know if it would work but would a supermagnet held up to the chip deactivate it?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
I just thought of how you could get one removed, I don't know if it would work but would a supermagnet held up to the chip deactivate it?

Most RFID chips are implanted right below the skin, and above mussel and fat tissue. If one would need to remove it, you take your 'arm', make a small incision with a razor blade, get tweezers and yank it out. One would then use a butterfly bandage or bandaid to protect the small hole. and should heal in a day or two.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
and just remember folks, anyone can buy an implant gun, and "zap" someone unexpectedly!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Gold.

Second line: Gold.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by anahmal3

But not everyone will be able to get their hands on the proper chips to zap into people. Each chip will be unique to the individual being implanted.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Think of the RFID chip as a memory stick ... it can be a blank slate and programmed to contain certain data. Unique data pertinent to you.

The chip is not built to be unique.

Anyway ... here is a nice quote:

Do you really want to walk in and apply for a job knowing that you're broadcasting details about a heart condition/HIV infection/cancer history/etc. to everyone within 20 meters, including the people who are considering whether or not to hire you and pay your medical insurance and sick leave? Do you really want to walk down a crowded street broadcasting financial data of any kind to God knows who? Is it really a good idea to broadcast personal identification information to anyone and everyone, when identity theft is one of the country's fastest growing crimes?

Link

new topics

top topics

join