It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students become human hamsters as exercise machines are connected to power grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Students become human hamsters as exercise machines are connected to power grid

www.t elegraph.co.uk

A growing number of American gyms are connecting their exercise machines to the power grid

University campuses and exercise clubs are making use of new green technology which allows the momentum from running and walking machines to be converted into voltage.
The amount of power produced by these human hamsters is small but supporters say it is a valuable educational device.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Does this not seem odd to anyone, how many of you all have been to a gymnasium were they had the tread mills and you were walking , jogging, or running, did anyone ask or notice if they were plugged into anything below the floor.

The term "human resources" is radically being pre defined to meet and overcome even the most sci-fi ideas that man has put to paper and yet here we are.

www.t elegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I would not call it odd. I have had simliar ideas before. In fact I have had pretty much the same idea before...

I once had an idea for opening a gym that got its electricity from generators hooked up to the equipment.

I never did anything with it because I would not have known how to even start on such a business adventure.

I think if it works it is a great idea. Generating your own electricity by using the machines that people are on anyway, seems like a capital idea.

Think about it. You no longer have to pay the electric company and if enough elecricity is generated you can even get credit from the electric company.

Then you can make more money on top of the money you are saving by charging for membership.

On a side note I have also had an idea that would save water.

Essentially the idea is that any water that goes down the sink or shower drain, goes to a pipe that leads to some type of water tank stored somewhere on your property, perhaps underground.

In the tank the water is filtered so it gets out any dirt or unwanted particles.

From there you can attach it to your sprinkler system or what have you and recycle the water that you use. No more wasted water. You could also (theoretically) hook this up to something that would spray the roof in the summer time to help keep the attack cool or many other possibilities...

I have tons of ideas that I don't have the first clue on how to get started with them... Oh well.

Anyway, my point is, or was supposed to be that I think it is a great idea.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Indeed you have some good ideas there, most if not all could be put into real life applications. All that is needed is the capitol to support them. Like everything you would need to build a prototype invite the media, create the hype and then its all yours.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Thanks I really should go figure out what needs to be done, who I need to talk to see if I could get a patent on it or something.

Oh I forgot to say earlier, thakns for posting the thread! I am enjoying it.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This isn't that odd, its the wave of the future. There was a dance club that opened in Denmark (I think) that had plates in the floor that would move up and down and generate electricity.

I'd had ideas about how we should put mini turbines in our drains in our households, with a filter to catch the junk that slips down it (would also fix the "losing the ring down the sink" problem). Also another spot that could be used to generate small amounts of power would be doorknobs. It wouldn't be much, but you could use it to power a small light or doorbell. In more secure operations you could have the fingerprint/id code in a hard drive, and then have that as a back up.

Anyway, I think it is a good thing that is going on. More ideas like this need to be put into action. The emergency power implications are staggering. Hook those bikes up to a series of batteries and you could have those transported out to various departments in time of crisis. That's a bit of an offshoot of an idea I'd had with small-wind turbines, but it'd be more applicable.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This seems like a good educational program to me. Especially if they had a meter that showed just how much electricity they helped produce for the power grid. What better way to put excess calories to use. Burn the calories and while you are doing so, the energy is going toward a secondary energy product.
This project could teach various points as energy does not cease to exist it only changes forms. It teaches how electricity is generated and what kind of power it takes to generate it. It teaches how to create your own electricity if one were forced to live without a grid.

Now to make it a little spooky, imagine the biological mechanics and efficiencies on how nature uses mussels and tissues to move and convert biological energy into other forms of energy. The conversion seems pretty efficient. After all it took billions of years of evolution to come up with a grand sceme of balancing energy. 'The Food Chain'.
What if someone invented a biological 'arm' or 'leg' made out of real life tissue mussel blood bones and skin, and supplied them with 'food' through veins and actually use the mechanical action of mussel movement to power generators , levers, or anything that needs mechanical force. It would seem creepy to see a living leg hooked up to tissue support system actually pedaling a bicycle to generate electricity.The fuel system would theoretically only need the same food as we humans eat. Just think, put your food scraps in a artificial digester and watch your live tissue appendage crank a water pump for example. Very interesting.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
i thought about this same thing too,,,,,, but in jails/prisons,,,,,to make the prisoners ride bicycles to produce energy,,,,, at lkeast that needed by the jail,,,,,,it costs something like 38,000 a year to house each prisoner,,,,,and yet we free americans must pay our cable/electric/food bills,,,,,, shouldn't they?????

incidentally,,,,,in nj we just paid 18,000 dollars for two wall mounted cigarette lighters,,,, because hand held were being stolen,,,,,,,and going missing and could be used as weapons,,,, you can make a pretty nasty flame thrower with one or douse someone and light em up,,,,, but come on 18 grand????? it should be gold plated encrusted with diamonds

back on topic,,,,,
i think it's a good idea,,,,, that energy can be put to use instead of waisted,,, why not

just like those road bumps or plates that when drove over can produce energy

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I sometimes think that we focus to much on producing large amounts of energy outputs instead of looking at small applications which would be cost efficient for anyone to purchase and adapt to anyones home.

In my opinion and although there are many parameters, solar panels should have a cost value equal to a packet of cigarettes.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I think you will find this article interesting enough

Splitting the $14,000 cost with the local utility, Eugene Water and Electric Board, the school has retrofitted 20 Precor elliptical machines to generate electricity using technology from ReRev.com of St. Petersburg, Fla. The power from each machine in the Student Recreation Center goes through a converter that turns DC into AC, and a meter to keep track before it flows into the grid.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

edit: Forgot the link rerev.com...

[edit on 18-5-2009 by tristar]

new topics

top topics

join