It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama calls for 'common ground' on abortion at Notre Dame

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

-- President Obama delved into the abortion debate in a controversial Notre Dame commencement address Sunday, calling for a search for common ground on one of the most divisive issues in American politics.

Addressing a sharply divided audience at the storied Catholic university, Obama conceded that no matter how much Americans "may want to fudge it ... at some level the views of the two camps are irreconcilable."

"Each side will continue to make its case to the public with passion and conviction," he said. "But surely we can do so without reducing those with differing views to caricature."

The commencement ceremony was boycotted by a number of graduates dismayed by the university's decision both to tap Obama as its commencement speaker and to give him an honorary degree.

Well I hafta say he did do a good job on this one.

I can commend him for stating his opinion on being pro choice, yet advovating the other side of the isle at the same time.

He urged supporters and opponents of abortion rights to "work together to reduce the number of women seeking abortions by reducing unintended pregnancies, and making adoption more available, and providing care and support for women who do carry their child to term."

This is probably the most impressive sentence I've heard come out of his mouth. Now I am not an Obama supporter, however this is the corret way to go about things when it comes to abortion. Provide guidance and support for both pro-choice and pro-life folks.

~Keeper

new topics

join