It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filing a Complaint/Suggestion or Post Alert *ALL MEMBERS READ*

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This is not the place TrueAmerican.

That said members should be aware that staff will not always agree with all complaints or alerts. We are guided by the terms and conditions of use and if we can't square action with that we can't and won't act.

Anyway we try to do the best we can for the community.

PLEASE EVERYONE, this is not a chit chat thread...any further posts should be on topic as stated in the opening post.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Perhaps the text displayed on the Alert needs to be changed?

We encourage members to alert us to posts that might be a potential problem. However, please be aware that this feature is intended for flagrant violations of our Terms & Conditions such as trouble makers, insults, inappropriate content, and potential copyright violations. This feature is not intended to alert staff to minor issues like 1-liner or off-topic posts.

No where does it ask for a description.
Or could the title be the post url and the reason entered into the text box

But at least we know to add one from now on.

Edit for clearer wording

[edit on 18/5/2009 by lightchild]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I have read and understood! Thanks

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
We have a complaint button? I've occasionally used the alert button but didn't know there was a complaint button. What's the difference? Is one preferred by the mods over the other?

The times I've hit the alert button I thought the violation in the offending post was obvious but now I see that it may just be me that is offended. I'll post a brief description from now on. If nothing happens, I'll know it was just me.

Some of us need these little helpful hints. Anything we can do to make the mods job easier is fine by me. Thanks.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Under "Members Tools" and then "Account Settings"

There is a "complaint/Suggestion" button..

You can use it for positive feedback as well...

Complaint/Suggestion

Semper

[edit on 5/18/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Read Alert

Originally posted by whitewave
The times I've hit the alert button I thought the violation in the offending post was obvious but now I see that it may just be me that is offended. I'll post a brief description from now on. If nothing happens, I'll know it was just me.

We do get a significant number of alerts and complaints that don't necessarily pertain to T&C violations, as well as quite a few where violations are involved, but where dramatic, overt action may not be the way we decide to handle things.

I know it can be frustrating to ALERT a post and not see anything happen, but we do pay attention to them and they are a tremendous help for us when it comes to responding to problems. When in doubt, it's always best to let us know.

When we do encounter trouble, we have a wide range of options for dealing with it. As a general rule, we try not to be heavy-handed and prefer to resolve problems with a minimum of hassle. Our goal is to promote discussion, not bust people for every technical violation.

Because we do use discretion, our methods may not always be obvious, and some members may not agree with them. That's okay, and it's okay to let us know -- as long as it's not in the form of disruption or public arguments that derail threads.

U2Us, ALERTS or Complaints are the best ways to resolve disputes with mods. Regarding that, it's important to bear in mind that differences of opinion are just that: differences of opinion. Polite disagreement is always welcome, but disputes which aren't founded in the terms & conditions are ultimately groundless.

As with all things in life, moderating forums on ATS involves prioritization and tradeoffs. To the extent we can all recognize that and endeavor to understand and work with one another, everyone wins.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
SemperFortis and Majiic I thank you for your explanations.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
hi can you respond to the radio post

im not sure how to post it but i did message a mod

But its about ats radio or atleas the support of it somehow ?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
As Majic has indicated: Staff action, while underpinned by the Terms and Conditions can also be somewhat fluid.

Hence why you may see someone receiving a Warn for something that someone else got *editted* for.

Most issues - personally - are resolved via u2u and editting...as really a scattering of Off Topic, or Extreme T&C Violation images throughout a thread can just make a thread look quite messy...indeed can put people off engaging in it.

So where possible Staff tend to inform via u2u, encourage people to remain On-Topic etc - normally via a post within that thread requesting/encouraging such.
The stronger action of Warning tends to follow after such requests...as you can understand.

I will say this also: We are not infallible. Not at all. We aren't cloned bots or anything...well...my wife may disagree some days, but we're as human as the next person. Therefore we certainly do make mistakes occasionally just like everyone else.
On those occasions where people feel we have made a mistake in judgement, then by all means call us on it. Respond to the automated u2us that get sent with any Mod Warn, or utilise the Complain/Suggestion link to request review of the action.

Some may think we are...but we Staff are not the be all and end all...essentially we are just here to assist where possible and clean up where necessary.

So never be afraid to speak...as really the only voice truly not heard is the voice not spoken.

We may not agree...but then we can't even begin to have that discussion unless both parties are engaging in it.

Yes indeed there have been occasions where people have felt the Staff weren't listening anyway...and again, we are human, but we certainly try to assist and be amiccable at all times.

It may well not be the best solution in some peoples eyes...but I see it as at least being a start and a step towards it.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
BUMP & REMINDER:

If you have a complaint with staff action - do NOT start a thread about it. Use the proper means to complain or your thread/post will be trashed.

Thank you!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join