It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Repair - Updates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
For those who haven't been following the NASA Twitter feed, here is the recent news from the Hubble Repair project:
1minute ago - The spacewalkers are inspecting the new cards.
2minutes ago - Massimino successfully removed the card.
6minutes ago - Massimino has the card extraction tool and now is working to remove it.
30minutes ago -For those who asked, the longest spacewalk in history is 8hrs, 56mins.
32minutes ago - With the plate out of the way, Massimino will be able to finally access the electronics card that he and Good will replace.
38minutes ago - Massimino and Good have successfully removed the STIS cover plate.
43 minutes ago - There still is about 2 hrs, 40mins left of work still scheduled for the STIS repair.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
i think it would be kinda funny, if they got up there, prepared for the spacewalk, manouve up the the hubble;

spaceman 1:'ok hand me the number 12 spanner'
spaceman 2:'wait i though you had it!'...

anyways, good luck to them, and hope they get back in one peice.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Natonstan

I'm trying to find a site (to no avail) that will explain the added capabilities from that Hubble repair. (I remember reading it in the newspaper, but I'm not able to retrieve it).

If I remember it right, they were taking about being able to see further back in time by a fair amount.

Could you suggest anyone ?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL
reply to post by Natonstan

I'm trying to find a site (to no avail) that will explain the added capabilities from that Hubble repair. (I remember reading it in the newspaper, but I'm not able to retrieve it).

If I remember it right, they were taking about being able to see further back in time by a fair amount.

Could you suggest anyone ?

I'm pretty sure they are updating old parts, fixing broken parts and add a new lens to the telescope which will make its magnification rate almost 100 times better, from what I've read. Sorry I don't have a source, but I read this on space.com I do believe. Anyway, with a vastly more powerful lens, I would imagine this would mean looking further into deep space than we ever have before and thus, farther back in the history of the universe than we ever have before! Very exciting!!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm not one to twitter, so thank you for these updates. It's good to know what's going on out there.

The other day after the shuttle launched, our local news station was saying how they were going to work on the Hubble to do things like change batteries. The other news guy said, "Those must be a pretty good size, like double D's..."

After a moment of complete silence, you could hear the entire news crew bust out laughing while the poor guy was trying to recover by saying, " no, no, you know, aw c'mon, you know... like double A batteries?? ..."

They all couldn't stop laughing and had to cut to a commercial.

new topics

top topics

join