It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astro Buffs ... light and the moon... ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a few evenings ago, I got in a decussion about apollo moon landing photographs and video... you see - here on earth we preceive light by radiation, radiating off the gasses in the atmosphere. is how I remember my astro physics coarse, that was in the early 70's so I could be in sever error.. but, a gentalmen called Hotel Zulu declares that since we can see the moon is proof it is lit up like the earths atmosphere... ah, ok.... both of these can not be right ... we are going to let you guys decide who wins the argument.... please prove one side or the other...
we thank you ....

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BornPatriot

I'll take this one, Patriot.

Let's start with your comment about the atmosphere.

The gases that comprise our air have a scattering affect as light travels through. So does water.

However, the way we perceive objects is from the reflection of light from the object to our retinas.

Of course, exception being things that radiate light on their own accord, such as the sun or a flame.

The Moon 'glows' because it has a fairly high albedo, the soil or 'regolith' is more reflective than the 'maria' or lava flows. Thus, you see the patterns of the various Lunar features.

[edit on 5/17/0909 by weedwhacker]

new topics

join