It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cause of schizophrenia identified

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I took a test,

Early Schizophrenia 14+
Possibility of Early Schizophrenia 10-14
No Schizophrenia 0-9

I scored a 9...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
My ex-husband was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 6 months after we were married. It was hell. The main problem I have seen with schizophrenics is they are very resistant to treatment. They don't want to go, take their meds, or councelling. They seem to like to self medicate by drinking or taking drugs. I tried to help him for 2 years and finally I had to just give up. His family was not very helpful either. He now is homeless and can not get social security because he is a crack addict. I think in some cases schizophrenics should be commited and forced to have treatment. I also have a mental illness but I take care to take my meds and keep my appointments. Schizophrenics seem unable to do this.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I hope thier right becuase schizophrenia is a devistating illness. I've been living with it for the past 12 years and it's disrtoyed any chance I had for a normal life.

I can't work, I have very few friends, I can't go to school, I get very little enjoyment out of life. All I do is eat and sleep. My life has been so miserable I wish I was never born.

Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve this life. I must have did something bad in a past life or something.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I hope thier right becuase schizophrenia is a devistating illness. I've been living with it for the past 12 years and it's disrtoyed any chance I had for a normal life.

I can't work, I have very few friends, I can't go to school, I get very little enjoyment out of life. All I do is eat and sleep. My life has been so miserable I wish I was never born.

Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve this life. I must have did something bad in a past life or something.

Hang in there wantsome, believe it or not there is someone out there that cares about you.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
cool stuff please check out this thread that everyone on ats needs to see and watch all the videos....
the truth about fema camps coffins and trains

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

This is really great news.

I have a cousin who suffers from this illness and the medications that she is taking has too many side effects and making her lose too much hair, and just doesn't seem to be helping.

I wish the article gave more information about the findings and what natural alternatives can now be explored, but I guess i'll just have to wait.

It appears that fly agaric has an abundance of this substance -

Wiki Link

But as with all things to do with beneficial entheogens, it is illegal to import here, which would also make it illegal to ingest. I think the rest of the world may not be so strict. Yet.

Good ol' lawmakers know best.

Also, ironic that a fungus known for it's psychedelic use has been found to contain the very thing that, in deficit, causes schizophrenia.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoTabooForYou
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The scientists cut very thin sections (14 thousands of a millimetre thick) of the brain tissue to measure the levels of the muscarinic M1 receptor

Type "muscarinic" into google, go to the first link:
(en.wikipedia.org...)

This should be old news to some, unbelievable to most, but factual first and foremost.

Taboo

You beat me to the link

Yes, unbelievable to some indeed! Medicinal benefits of certain things however, has never altered the opinions of tptb...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hello all, this is my first post. I have been coming to abovetopsecret.com for a few years now to read up on so many interesting topics and opinions. This current topic is close to my heart.

My older brother of 2 years has this horrible and devastating disease. I know all illnesses are horrible, however one where the person doesnt even understand they are sick(mental)is just devasting. He got "hit" with the disease his last semester in college at about 22(He's 30 now). We would talk all the time, like on IM then he just stopped. We didnt hear from him for days so my dad flew up to his school and brought him home. I will never forget that first day I saw him. He has lost like 30 pounds, very paranoid, and had such odd body movements. I had just seen him a few months ago, and to see him in this manner was shocking and confusing. So we have no idea what "triggered" it however it is one of the most severe. He can not function in society, he is a threat to himself and others. When he first came back, like many people who experience someone close to them for the first time with this disease, we didnt understand it. He was always a great person, and it's heart breaking to see my brother(one anyone for that matter)have to be robbed of a life due to this horrible disease.

As of now, he is in an assisted living type situation however is in and out of mental facilities often. I just went to visit him, a few weeks ago. And at times he seems "better", but as he gets more comfortable opening back up to me, his inner thoughts come out. He thinks he can time travel(he even showed me a drink he got in the future), he thinks he was Jesus and President Lincoln and he can travel to Mars and back.(He closed his eyes and "traveled" as we spoke). He hears voices, he sees things that arent there.

As a family, we feel there isnt much we can do. He's on and off so many meds that have cause him hair loss, skin breakouts and God knows what other harm it is doing to him. I hope more and more research is committed to finding a cure to this life crippling disease.

An interesting find a few years after we found out of my brother's illness. I never met my great grandfather however we were always told he died young by my grandfather. However, not sure how my grandmother came across it but it was records from a mental instution on my great grandfather. So he didnt "die early" he was thrown in there and the key was thrown away. Back then it wasnt talked about, so that's what they did. It was sad yet amazing his symtoms and thoughts were just like my brother's. He thought his wife was trying to kill him, he would walk home different ways each day to "confuse" the people out to get him, etc.

If anyone has any knowledge of how I may be able to help him, please pass it on. I always felt the human body/mind is so fragile, it could be one thing, just ONE, that is "off" that could throw the whole mind into a tail spine. Something even as simple as lacking a certain mineral/vitamn. Over time, and I am not sure if this is due to the meds or the illness my brother's short term memory is horrible. He remembers things from 10-15 years ago with no problem however if I tell him something Monday he will ask me the same thing Thursday.

Due to Russell Crowe's amazing performance in a "Beautiful Mind", he is one of my favorite actors. Talk about a spot on performance. Everything from his blank stares to knowing what "he should see" vs what he really sees, its quit amazing.

Sorry for such a long post my first time. Thank you for the great find.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by greenorbs

im not a doctor or anything but if the hallucinations didn't appear until after he got on meds, this is worth a read: en.wikipedia.org...

cliff notes:
- some ADD meds, basically amphetamine, cause excess dopamine
- excess dopamine is found in many schizophrenics and is believed to cause hallucinations
- so some ADD meds can cause some people to hallucinate after enough use

im not a doctor so i could be wrong but that's what i think the page says.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This (edit:my video) video explains what Schizophrenia is and what is the cure for those who are functional enough to read two books and comprehend them. The cause of SZ is probably biochemical. But our consciousness consists of the hardware which is the brain and the software which is the programming of the mind or consciousness itself. The mind can be reprogrammed.
This reprogramming is called Radical Understanding. It is the beginning of what is called Enlightenment or Being Born Again.
It is like learning to ride a bicycle. It remains a mystery until you grasp it. Then it becomes obvious. I could go on and on but in the end those who want to learn about Consciousness should read these two books.

edit:Let me be perfectly clear here. This is not about any belief in anything. It is simply about Understanding ones actions in the present moment and Observing oneself.

These two books are available online for free at:
www.beezone.com...
www.beezone.com...

[edit on 17-5-2009 by RRokkyy]

[edit on 18-5-2009 by RRokkyy]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
It's sad to see people suffer from schizophrenia. We have a guest at the hotel right now that I can safely assume is schizophrenic. He scares the hell out of the staff. I see though that he is harmless and is in need of help.

He apparently takes his medication and like others have pointed out makes him walk around like a zombie.

I hope that the root cause has been identified and that a real treatment option comes out of it. Because what I see in this young man, the treatment might be worse than the illness.

I would imagine that treatment would also have to include routine psychological counseling both to monitor the medication and evaluate the treatment.

The mind is truly a wondrous organ.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Awesome post. Science is AMAZING! Lets hear it for scientists trying to fight disease! THANK YOU SCIENCE! THANK YOU SCIENTISTS! You guys ROCK!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Estimates of the heritability of schizophrenia tend to vary owing to the difficulty of separating the effects of genetics and the environment although twin studies have suggested a high level of heritability.

It has been suggested that schizophrenia is a condition of complex inheritance, with several genes possibly interacting to generate risk for schizophrenia or the separate components that can co-occur leading to a diagnosis.These genes appear to be non-specific, in that they may raise the risk of developing other psychiatric disorders such as bipolar disorder.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
This is another piece in the puzzle. There's likely hundreds of causes for schizophrenia. It really is a catch-all for prolonged severe psychosis. If we're going to really figure out schizophrenia, we need to expand our mindset to include an integrative understanding of mental illness.

I believe environmental conditions to be as important, if not more so then genetics. There's definitely genetic propensities, but the expression seems to have several environmental triggers.

Gut dysbiosis has been reported in all patients in some cases. This leads to bacterial/fungus overgrowths, & parasite infestations. This leads to many things which can make an overburdened, highly-toxic body.

It's very interesting to note that schizophrenia rates have climbed 15-20x in the last 200 years. Reports of insanity were about 5/10,000 all throughout history preindustrial revolution, where today its nearly 1/100.

We've got to ask, what changed? Heavy metal exposure in factories. Pollution. Population increases. Social regression. All of these likely contributed to schizophrenia increases.

Another major thing was agricultural manufacturing processes. When grains were first stripped of vital nutrients (niacin), pellagra & schizophrenia rates dramatically increased. It was found that a fraction of schizophrenics who took small doses of niacin supplement fully recovered. This lead to the enrichment of flour with some of it's lost b-vitamins. Pellegra & schizophrenia rates dropped accordingly.

Later it was found that even more schizophrenics suffered from a sub-clinical (non-lethal) form of pellegra. This group needed higher doses to return to normal health. As shown by doctor Abram Hoffer, most schizophrenics recover when given high dose vitamin-c & niacin with each meal.

A schizophrenic suffers from severe toxic overload. Vitamin-c helps on many fronts, the most universal acting as an antioxidant helping to detox the body. Niacin is a very powerful antifungal & antibiotic. From my understanding, schizophrenics probably suffer from a chronic & systemic microbial infection. I think niacin is so deficient because it's used to treat the disease.

Niacin is needed to convert tryptophan into serotonin. While nuerotransmitter "malfunctions" are definitely happening, I think this is mostly secondary causes.

I stand by the conviction that the body, when given what it needs, repairs itself accordingly. All intelligent organizations seek homeostasis. Some people seem to require more nutrients than others to treat their current internal environment from external environmental & genetic factors.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by unityemissions]

interesting points, don't modern "recreational" drugs, (which have exploded in use in the last 40 years) also increase the likelihood of such mental illnesses?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Gosh, NoTabooForYou - do you feel the wind wafting over the truth, and smell the discontent of the status quo just permeate the air?

So many ailments have natural remedies, and so many natural remedies are considered redundant because they have an equal recreational component...

Regardless or not if this is 100% an involved protein in 100% cases, it rings true for many that help is found in nature. Yet despite the truth, people are forced to take unproven, man made, chemicals that often cause worse problems than the initial situation ever could have.

But oh my, dem nasty dwugs iz fo dem evil kwiminalz. Ohhhhhhhh boy.

Save da childen, da childen.....

And the best way to do that? Illegalize everything under the sun, and let mr hat tell you what is good for you. Because that has worked sooo well.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
so if they know the cause for that then all we need to figure out now is why a tweak tweaks

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
This is another piece in the puzzle. There's likely hundreds of causes for schizophrenia. It really is a catch-all for prolonged severe psychosis. If we're going to really figure out schizophrenia, we need to expand our mindset to include an integrative understanding of mental illness.

I believe environmental conditions to be as important, if not more so then genetics. There's definitely genetic propensities, but the expression seems to have several environmental triggers.

Gut dysbiosis has been reported in all patients in some cases. This leads to bacterial/fungus overgrowths, & parasite infestations. This leads to many things which can make an overburdened, highly-toxic body.

It's very interesting to note that schizophrenia rates have climbed 15-20x in the last 200 years. Reports of insanity were about 5/10,000 all throughout history preindustrial revolution, where today its nearly 1/100.

We've got to ask, what changed? Heavy metal exposure in factories. Pollution. Population increases. Social regression. All of these likely contributed to schizophrenia increases.

Another major thing was agricultural manufacturing processes. When grains were first stripped of vital nutrients (niacin), pellagra & schizophrenia rates dramatically increased. It was found that a fraction of schizophrenics who took small doses of niacin supplement fully recovered. This lead to the enrichment of flour with some of it's lost b-vitamins. Pellegra & schizophrenia rates dropped accordingly.

Later it was found that even more schizophrenics suffered from a sub-clinical (non-lethal) form of pellegra. This group needed higher doses to return to normal health. As shown by doctor Abram Hoffer, most schizophrenics recover when given high dose vitamin-c & niacin with each meal.

A schizophrenic suffers from severe toxic overload. Vitamin-c helps on many fronts, the most universal acting as an antioxidant helping to detox the body. Niacin is a very powerful antifungal & antibiotic. From my understanding, schizophrenics probably suffer from a chronic & systemic microbial infection. I think niacin is so deficient because it's used to treat the disease.

Niacin is needed to convert tryptophan into serotonin. While nuerotransmitter "malfunctions" are definitely happening, I think this is mostly secondary causes.

I stand by the conviction that the body, when given what it needs, repairs itself accordingly. All intelligent organizations seek homeostasis. Some people seem to require more nutrients than others to treat their current internal environment from external environmental & genetic factors.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by unityemissions]

You speak of what is known as the wisdom of the organism. When given the support, be it physical or emotional, human beings will by default seek health. Well said.

I also agree with your comment with respect to the environment playing a huge role. Too many people believe mental illness is solely the resut of a chemical imbalance - having worked in mental health now for a considerable period i cannot agree with that. I cannot name one individual living with a mental illness whom i have worked with that has not endured trauma of some variety - whether it be the more overt types of abuse such as physical or sexual or the most unrecognised and covert such as emotional abuse experienced by those living with unsupportive families as children. These are but a few examples of the types of trauma some people endure. There is no doubt a chemical component, but just as a schizophrenic once said to me - the little old woman able to lift up a car on her own may be able to do so due to the adrenalin rush - but that rush is caused by the fact it is her own son or husband underneath it.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Why aren't we calling these people schizophrenic?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

why do we say that schizophrenics hallucinate all the while discussing the validity of this?

why do we seek to 'remote view' and go on and on discussing and revering Psych Ops and aliens on this site but we refuse to attribute any validity to the experiences that schizophrenics have?!!
The list of discussions on this site that consider hearing voices and contacting spirits as credible experiences is endless.

What's wrong with all of the supposedly 'sane' people on this site that want to call up demons from hell but then turn right around and shake their . and tick their tongue feigning confusion over the 'insanity' that causes schizophrenics to hear voices and see demons?

Are they so deaf, dumb, and blind as to not be able to perceive that perhaps the spiritual experiences that spiritualists, remote viewers, psychics, demon/alien worshippers, Christ worshippers, and any other sort of worshipper is the same thing that schizophrenics experience?

When will everyone wake up and realize that schizophrenia is a spiritual phenomenon?! Why do we care more about a 'lack of protein' then we do about what kind of witchcraft a schizophrenic might be practicing?

Is it because people just want to worship their devils and align their chakras all the while pretending like it has nothing to do with why they need medication? They want to blame their depression on a 'lack of proteins' rather than on the fact that they follow their 'spirit guide'/demon's advice? They want to study Alister Crowley so that they can feel powerful, deny that God exists, and then wonder why they have suicidal thoughts?!

Are they all so naive or deceived that they can't figure out that their mental health, or lack thereof, may have something to do with what they choose to worship and think about and discuss endlessly, scientifically, and reverently? Is it possible that the filth that you feed your brain through your televisions, computers, magazines, books, and tarot cards might be making your brain sick? Has science completely blinded us to common sense? Is it possible, even slightly possible, that the good old Bible knows more about mental health than does the latest scientist or guru or super duper soldier?

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

Pretending like people aren't responsible for their thoughts and accountable for their actions is wrong. It's that kind of thinking that will make you sick. Denying the truth is a disease. How can you ever expect to help schizophrenics when you are so conflicted that you don't know the difference between right and wrong anymore? Whose to say that the schizophrenics are the insane ones rather than the hundreds of holier than thou PHDs bowing down to Satan on this site? Let's talk about the conspiracy to distort the truth by saying that worshipping demons is a respectable thing to do but schizophrenics that hear voices are insane!

Here's a thought for you: Maybe the culture of calling right wrong and wrong right is causing schizophrenia. Maybe you cause schizophrenia.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by checkers]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

As far as I know, yes. All drugs are stressing the body in some way. I doubt pure recreational use would cause schizophrenia for most people, but I've heard myth that it might in some.

I think the main problem is habit. Like the alcoholic who gets the majority of his calories from a substance that not only contains minimal nutrients, but uses up the bodies supply (of nutrients) to fight off the toxins it produces. Most alcoholics suffer from a biochemical imbalance to start off with, only to make it worse trying to ease the anxiety. A short-term cop-out at the expense of long-term health.

If you, or a loved one suffers from alcoholism, once again check out orthomolecular therapy. Bill walsh, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, gave niacin to 30 of his patients. 10 recovered within a month, 10 more within two months, and the remaining ten didn't recover. That's two thirds of Alcoholics cured with niacin! Much better than any other treatment available. Check the video links in my previous post.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by checkers

Your post reminded me of the Dark Knight movie. It starts brilliantly, second act is great and then it started adding unnecessary scenes. The points you raise relate to discussions about functional versus clinical psychosis. Some members write posts and threads that fall within the parameters of clinical paranoia. Some threads display replies from members concerned for the health of the OP...genuine concern.

Take, for example, a thread OP that claims the Government is actively seeking to place the population in death camps. They then add that they have been abducted by aliens and have been told that evil aliens are in collusion with the MSM and TPTB. They suggest the world as we know it will end in a couple of years. Threads like this generally get a few flags, a few stars and a lot of replies....

Now imagine you're waiting for a bus. Guy comes over and begins telling you the same story from the imaginary thread above. Do you listen in concentration? Do you think 'mental illness' and carefully move away? Do you think demonic possession and run away?

Mental illness is real. It can be controlled, minimized, treated, diagnosed and often recovered from etc. Studies have shown through repeatable tests that it can also be induced.

I've got a fair amount of experience in mental health issues. One incident involved the arrest and subsequent section, under the Mental Health Act, of a 30 year old male assaulting random men and women in a bar. He was overpowered and restrained. It took 5 of us to restrain him safely and without injury (to him). He pi***d himself down the leg I was holding. We recovered two pockets of stones from him?! His friends had left him for refusing to take his meds. If your suggestion is correct and he wasn't actually psychotic at the time, he would have been left to assault the public...Are you thinking that the assault victims and us were wrong?

Your post implies that you don't trust academic sources. I suggest you look for forums that discuss mental illness. First hand, personal accounts by sufferers, friends and family might at least give you cause to alter your emphatic denial that it exists...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join