It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cause of schizophrenia identified

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
I hope thier right becuase schizophrenia is a devistating illness. I've been living with it for the past 12 years and it's disrtoyed any chance I had for a normal life.

I can't work, I have very few friends, I can't go to school, I get very little enjoyment out of life. All I do is eat and sleep. My life has been so miserable I wish I was never born.

Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve this life. I must have did something bad in a past life or something.

First of all, before I get started, this schizophrenia garbage can't be cured with any medication or anything because it's not a psychological issue. It's something completely different.

Just read this:
www.freewebs.com...

Take note of how he got the voices out of his head.

Second of all, I have worse to endure. Not only do I hear some garbage in my head 24/7, but it does more than that. I also get chased around by the folks put it up in my head in the first place. If I try to relax and get a little shut eye, it bangs my head against whatever my head is resting on.

On top of that I can barely even type this because I can't stop jumping around as there's an awful sensation, like being poked, that hits my body in random locations, which makes me jump and freak out in a reflex response.

Hey, I've got it worse and I go to work, pay the rent, go home. You just sleep easier at night.

For me, it all started in 2005. I had realized that there were folks following me around. To make a long story short, they eventually had me cornered in a sister's bathroom. I had no place left to run to. The cops came and apparently diffused the situation and it appeared that I was a free man possibly. It turned out that they were still following me, and then that night while trying to get to sleep, I started hearing what they were telling folks outside was "the psychic".

I made a run for it, and after running to Canada and back, I realized that there was nothing I could do and got another job. I still had the folks following me, but they gradually gradually made the stuff worse as it wasn't having the intended effect, until I got to the dilemma that I'm in now. Hard to sleep, hard to work, hard to sit still for two seconds. It's difficult to do anything. But hey, I still do it.

Unlike some people, who think they have pschizophrenia, or however you spell the nonsense..

Unless "schizophrenics" are just vegetarians:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 17-5-2009 by MegaCurious]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
MegaCurios

Modern medicine might not be able to cure schizophrenia but it sure made my life alot better. I've been to the farthest reaches of insanity and back I know first hand what medication can do.

I haven't missed a dose in 12 years and if it ever came to the point I coulnd't get my medication I'd shoot myself before I ended up in another psychosis.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

MegaCurios

Modern medicine might not be able to cure schizophrenia but it sure made my life alot better. I've been to the farthest reaches of insanity and back I know first hand what medication can do.

I haven't missed a dose in 12 years and if it ever came to the point I coulnd't get my medication I'd shoot myself before I ended up in another psychosis.

Hey, just quit the western medication and use my formula. Keep in mind that it's really aliens and stuff out to get you. You're not crazy. Just don't say anything about it, since there's nothing you can do about it.

It's actually this link that is crazy:
faculty.washington.edu...

Assuming that you're old enough to drink, then my formula works better than some medication that doesn't know about them aliens and stuff.

If you're not old enough to drink, then you shouldn't be on this website. It's not a place for the kiddies. (I have to toss the disclaimer in, as I've been duped on ATS too many times).

My formula: toss the medication, and if the garbage in your head keeps you up at night, just use the right amount of liquor to get to sleep.

That's all there is to it. Has worked for me, and otherwise I'd be dead about now.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I had a mother with schizophrenia and diabetes. and have dealt with people with schizophrenia as a EMT for over 30 years.

About 10 to 30% of people that have been DXed with schizophrenia do not have it.

There are a number of people that have both schizophrenia type episodes and diabetes that are having hallucinations and altered mental states from high blood sugar levels not schizophrenia.

Many of these people are drugged with powerful anti schizophrenia meds to the point they can not function to keep there diabetes under control.

Many of the schizophrenia meds have a side effect of causing uncontrollable (to someone with a altered mental state due to powerful drugs)carb cravings.

One of the first things i use to check with a schizophrenic when i was a EMT was there blood sugar levels. in most people with schizophrenia and diabetes
i found there sugar levels above 300
few other EMT did this and almost no doctors understand this connection.

There are few ER doctors or any doctors that treat both disorders as one when they find them together.

Doctors when they see a schizophrenia type episode in someone with schizophrenia just up the meds for schizophrenia.
and treat the diabetes as a separate disorder unrelated to the schizophrenia.

Many schizophrenia drugs raise the blood sugar levels.
psychrights.org...
www3.interscience.wiley.com...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Are diabetics with schizophrenia type episodes from high blood sugar levels being treated with drugs that are causing true schizophrenia.
ajp.psychiatryonline.org...
www.mentalhelp.net...

This leaves the person in a worse altered mental state due to powerful drugs
for schizophrenia and even less able to control there diabetes.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Some people with schizophrenia benefit from having a sense of control over their thoughts.

Not only do I hear some garbage in my head 24/7, but it does more than that. I also get chased around by the folks put it up in my head in the first place. If I try to relax and get a little shut eye, it bangs my head against whatever my head is resting on.

Could that be a result of negative energy influencing your Gestalt field theory of the brain? Could evil spirits possibly be causing that phenomenon? Jesus told the evil spirits to leave in the Bible. Have you ever tried commanding the voices to leave you in the name of Jesus? The Bible suggests that you have the ability to command that noise and the source of that noise to leave you in Jesus' name.

I've been to the farthest reaches of insanity and back I know first hand what medication can do.

Perhaps the medication changes the electromagnetic field theory of the brain making it less susceptible to negative energy. Otherwise, does the medication make you feel more confident and in control? I understand that medication tends to support the thought process. A sense of support and control helps some people to cope.

in most people with schizophrenia and diabetes
i found there sugar levels above 300

Perhaps high sugar intake disrupts the electromagnetic Gestalt field theory of the brain leading to disorganized thoughts.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by checkers]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Wow, that is something positive. I don't know anyone suffering from this illness, but it is still great news to hear that they have discovered something as significant as the differences between type 1 and 2 diabetes.
Hopefully this will give some relief of symptoms for those who find no relief.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The Muscarinic Hypothesis of Schizophrenia came 2 years ago. It has been found that pharmaceutical treatments for Schizophrenia works in a synergistic way with Muscarinic receptors. This means that medicine worsened the problem in new ways.

This is from googling =p.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

MegaCurios

That is the good plan for you, to stick with your meds. Just hang in there with your meds, the technology is improving and you will benefit from it soon. From what I have read there are several psychotropic meds in development that are going to revolutionize the way mental illness is treated. Supposedly the meds will be more precisely targeted, rather than blunt weapons against the symptoms.

You may want to augment your meds with a support group and therapist, if you don't already. The support group can be tricky depending on who shows up, but it is a good forum to just talk about stuff. Try nami.org for an online community, it is a good one.

God bless to you and everyone on here that is or knows someone who is suffering from mental illness.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by greenorbs]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I have a cousin who suffers from this illness and the medications that she is taking has too many side effects and making her lose too much hair, and just doesn't seem to be helping.

Yeah, my mother's medication could ruin her liver and mostly keeps her in a zombie like state. This is very good news, and I hope more breakthroughs continue to be made. I'm thankful for the forms of treatment we have now, they're better than nothing, but it would be nice if it could be cured or kept in check more effectively, with less side effects.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A latent, organic predisposition towards such traits has been the most accepted perspective on schizophrenia in recent years. What sets off the predisposition is debatable and a variety of causes have been supported by studies. Environmental, chemical and social cues can all be responsible for 'activating' the disorder. Each in isolation or combined.

If the protein deficiency illustrated in the OP article can help up to 25% of sufferers, it's great news. The impact on the quality of their lives combined with knock-on effects on friends, family and colleagues shouldn't be understated. Psychotic episodes are deeply disturbing to all participants. I've some personal experience through work and also a close friend.

There's a video available. It was created by clinical psychologists and based on experiences of schizophrenia as related by patients involved with the video. There are three episodes including one that involves being in a store. I can't find a link for it, if I do I'll post back.

A personal and informed account of schizophrenia is available at The Experience of Schizophrenia. It's worth reading carefully because he (Ian Chovil) reflects on personal experiences as well as providing statistics and charts. It's an optimistic account that illustrates the problems of accurate diagnosis and the possibility of recovery.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This link has a video simulation of what it is like to live with schizophrenia.

It really blew me away. I feel badly for those who have it -- no one did anything to deserve it. I believe my brother may have it, because he sometimes talks to people who aren't there, arguing with them, and getting very violent towards them, and breaking things. He definitely gets psychotic (hallucinations and delusions), and gets very manic. They have him diagnosed with ADHD, depression, and OCD. The meds he is on for all that basically make him manic all the time. He either has bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia. I wish someone would diagnose him, but he is resistant to treatment, and does not want to be labeled. He was in medical school, but didn't make it through the first year due to his illness, that is still undiagnosed. He knows how to play the game with the doctors. It is a shame.

Makes me question why God would allow anyone to suffer.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
for what its worth:

Schizophrenia is a chronic, severe and disabling brain disorder that affects approximately 1 percent of the global population, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. People with schizophrenia often experience hallucinations, delusional thoughts, paranoia, disorganized thinking and other cognitive difficulties. Although the cause of schizophrenia has not been determined, it is believed to result from a combination of environmental and genetic factors. The condition is treatable, but there is no cure.

"Developing a clear understanding of the pathological abnormalities associated with schizophrenia is one of the greatest challenges in psychiatry," Dr. Mart'-Bonmat' said. "Using MRI to mark brain regions that are affected in both structure and function will help pinpoint specific abnormalities associated with the disease and ultimately enable more effective treatment."

The researchers studied 31 right-handed men, 21 with schizophrenia who suffered from persistent auditory hallucinations and 10 healthy controls. Morphological MR images were acquired to show abnormalities in brain structure while functional MRI was used to gauge brain response to various emotional and neutral stimuli.

Among the schizophrenic patients, the results showed functional abnormalities and corresponding gray matter deficits in several brain regions associated with regulating emotion and processing human voices.

theres more in the article, but thats the best info in it...

now just a 2-3 days ago i read a news report that somewhere in a specific part of the thinking part of the brain, some schizophrenics and even normal people get random neural firings to this certain area of the cortex,
and delusions and being sure that your hearing voices is a result.

If i could find a site that lists the sub regions of the brain i could probably recognize the specific sections' name by its spelling...
... as far as actually remembering the name, i cannot do without going into a trance or regression state

dang... i should have saved the article to one of my folders,
but at the time i was very lucid and thought it would never excape my mind.

i'll go check 'history' of sites i've visited....
over

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by greenorbs

Part of my work involves people with OCD, ADHD, ODD and other collections of letters. They are all individuals and even when they arrive with a certain diagnosis they exhibit different behaviors to others that share the diagnosis. Check out the clinical DSM-IV Codes to see how difficult it is for mental health professionals (not me btw) to diagnose patients. Many overlap other conditions or combine them.

The descriptions of your brother aren't a feature of ADHD or OCD. Medication is usually a series of trial and errors until they find the medication of 'best fit.' That he knows how to play the doctors is commonplace. Between a patient's natural distrust of doctors and the hit and miss of diagnosis can be months and years of chaotic behavior. Hopefully, he'll find a doctor that he feels unthreatened by?

I picture mental well-being as an elastic band pulled between two points...when it's level, we are fairly content and can take a little movement up and down. If we pull down or up to an extreme and release...the elastic bounces until finding it's level. If you can imagine this being 'normality,' the elastic spends much less time level than bouncing above and below it. I hope it works out for him and your family

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
man the bumms lie about me...+$0.02.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by checkers

plucky hasn't shared yet the protocol but i'll share my insight on the subject...

As... I am fond of taking my brain to interesting places and returning to myself from them.

A DEEP Rooted personality... A core of your being you don't allow yourself to deviate from regardless of thought, a conscious control of your gray matter...

It's very hard to describe but sometimes I wonder that it doesn't have some root in the spiritual...

take the topic of imagination,

practice at it... going, being someone else and returning to yourself...

For me I did allot of role playing growing up, also grew up in NYC where, obviously one must assume more diverse roles in daily life, later I did Acting and performance and films and I also write...

All those things require me to be... someone else for a time, and no.... I am not "acting" to do it right I have learned to "adopt" the character as myself... male, female, evil good... I become and think that person... literally

and in me I have a center a place, for me I use my childhood, who I know I am... as a ground i.e if my 12 year old self wouldn't agree with it I wont waiver no matter what thoughts come into my head in actual action in daily life

Of all things...

Childhood seems to make the biggest difference, yes some may be predisposed by this or that...

But

Not having experienced trauma in childhood, the ability to form a core personality seems to be the most instrumental thing, something to hold onto a YOU in the first place...

as we see rise in mental illness, we have also seen a rise in childhood trauma, divorce, war... many things, even the school system 2 working parents

somewhere in here trauma at an early age is a major culprit

I can not see me loosing myself no matter what level of degradation my brain suffered unless perhaps it reached the stage where, I couldn't control myself any more...and that stage would not allow me to wipe my own bum let alone harm anyone else or act accordingly with myself... i.e it would take allot of severe brain damage to loose myself.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Not having experienced trauma in childhood, the ability to form a core personality seems to be the most instrumental thing, something to hold onto a YOU in the first place...

I think that you are on the right track. My mother and brother both experienced trauma in childhood while I did not. I probably have a stronger sense of self than they do. I feel confident that I have control over what influences me. I have mental strength. I don't believe that my brother does. He has a low self esteem. I don't believe that he believes that he is capable of resisting outside influences. That lack of confidence seems to make him susceptible. My theory is that it makes him susceptible to negative entities from the spiritual realm. Who knows though? just because we can't see or hear the things that schizophrenics see and hear doesn't mean that they aren't there. Maybe their brains are more susceptible to perceiving things that I resist simply because I believe that I can.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This is an absolutely huge discovery for the world of mental disorders. It is really a very disappointing field right now because diagnosis of mental disorders is almost complete guesswork as all they have to go on is behavior for diagnosis. What they need to be able to go on are physical tests that can scientifically verify the disease.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by checkers

I will share my calming procedure with you, yes. A big part of which I discuss here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I trained myself to not let my brain spiral out of control. In daily life, there are things and people and situations that can create extreme dread for me.

Someone asked my brother if it was going to rain the next day, and he said "no" and that "my disbelief should be enough." I cling to that statement more that you can possibly imagine. Ignorance can be bliss, especially if you are facing a complete psychotic meltdown.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
here's a test to see if you have schizophrenia,

www.wired.com...

it comes from this site; www.wired.com...-3920

every site i link to for schizophrenia says it cannot be cured !!!

so, enough of the cograts already...

this article says that 7 out of 1000 people have some form of schizophrenia
other sources put the affected at higher rates...

so who knows

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

The rate varies by country. It's a myth that it's evenly distributed globally. I think the rate for the U.S. is correct, about .72 percent.

Just as there's no "known" cure for cancer, the same as schizophrenia. Doesn't mean it's not available, just that it's not an accepted norm. If you want real information about schizophrenia, I'd highly suggest looking into alternative practices.

Check out orthomolecular therapy. Specifically, check out Abram Hoffer's Niacin+Vitamin-C protocol. Lemme see if I can find a video link...

Here we go

Keep in mind Mr. Hoffer is 88 years old in this video & has been taking niacin in large doses for decades.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by unityemissions]

[edit on 17-5-2009 by unityemissions]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join